Reliable Cm Dentists?

ddoff

Need a new crown, maybe a bridge. Last time I've got some minor treatment at Ram, but was not impressed. Now looking for a private clinic -- though it doesn't mean that I don't care about the costs. Any recommendations ?

Need a new crown, maybe a bridge. Last time I've got some minor treatment at Ram, but was not impressed. Now looking for a private clinic -- though it doesn't mean that I don't care about the costs. Any recommendations ?

I use Grace Clinic and find the results to be quite satisfactory. I've tried others and the prices seem to be about the same. Grace charged me 1200 baht for a cleaning last week and 1000 baht for fillings yesterday.

Dr. Korakat, an Associate Professor at CMU is the owner of Grace Clinic and the "Queen of Crowns" in my view.

I have never had a better dentist and everything is state of the art at her clinic. She goes at least once a year to the West for update conferences. I particularly like the pen like camera that displaces a close up of your dental problem and what it looks like when she is finished.

I use Grace Clinic and find the results to be quite satisfactory. I've tried others and the prices seem to be about the same. Grace charged me 1200 baht for a cleaning last week and 1000 baht for fillings yesterday.

Got to concur...I have used Grace for 3 years..t Dr.Korakot is a doll...the practice is named after her daughter :o

Not cheap but more efficient than western dentists IMHO

Don't give CMR a thought

• 3 weeks later...

No-one has disputed the professionalism of Dr Korakot - particularly in her speciality, crowns, false teeth, etc.

For the rest, there seem to be a lot of contradictory reports:

Is other work, root canal for instance up to scratch? Disputed.

Are the other dentists in the clinic up to scratch? Disputed.

Are the costs at Grace much higher than many other CM dentists? Disputed.

I will also be needing to make a choice for some major work and would have wished for a clear and overwhelming recommendation in favour of this, or any other, clinic.

(Have had experience at CM Dental Hospital -on the Superhighway - and that was bad, bad.)

I went to Grace clinic today. They wanted to do a root canal before they took an x-ray. I told them that I had just broken the enamel off an old molar, and that the tooth had no sensitivity to cold. They take the xray, and there was no problem on the root. Then they wanted to do an ceramic overlay(9000B), but after I enquired as to the strength of this material, the dentist admitted that it probably would not be strong enough for the molar. Then the 15000B crown is suggested, but I tell them that for a rear tooth, I will be satisfied with the 7000B(not including posts) metallic crown. I tell her that I am leaving town on Tuesday,but It takes me five minutes to find out that "maybe" it would not be ready by then-despite the fact that there web site advertises 3-5 days completion time for crowns. Finally I ask for a temporary filling that will last until I arrive in Jomtien on the 12th. She does a slap dash job- no prep work- just slapped it in, and got me out of the chair. I went upstairs to wait for my bill, and the filling fell out. I only paid for the xray, and I left.

Granted, she was not the dentist the many seem to favor so highly, but this pattern of behaviour strongly suggests that this place is an over priced Farang trap. They could not make money from an informed consumer, so they did shoddy work. If I had blindly agreed to there treatment program, I would be out 15000-25000, instead of 5-8, which is the proper price for a metallic crown inclusive of all preps and posts. How do I know this/ I just had four gold- alloy/porcelain crowns done in Patong beach(one of the most expensive cities in Thailand) for 24000B all inclusive.

Fore warned is fore armed, and I am grateful for the members who posted warnings about this place.

I have used Chiang Mai Dental Clinic for many years, but had to change because of incompetence.

Moved to grace, while they seemed much more professional. I felt they did treatement that was not neccessary. They removed a perfectly good upper molar because the lower one needed to be removed (or did it) On another tooth they recommened that I redo a root canal that had previously been done because it might not be deep enough before I cover it with an overlay.

Was disapointed with Grace, so a few month later when a peice of a tooth broke, I tried Y and B clinic, which has a Brazilian Dentist. Same trap, part of my tooth broke off and they wanted to do a root cannal and ceramic overlay for about 20k instead of just putting a simple filling to cover it as I did not have any pain.

The hot blooded Brazillian dentist got mad when I suggested that I only wanted the tooth filled.

Didn't know who to go to next and Grace had a very long waiing list to fill my tooth so went back to Chiang Mai Dental Clinic and the dentist there simply filled the tooth without recommending a root cannal and ceramic overlay.

No problem ever since.

I think because we are considered rich farangs there is a scam to recommend treatment that is not neccessary as they can make much more money from a 20k root cannal and ceramic overlays then from a simple 800 baht filling.

Pramote Dental clinic, 206/4 Vitchayanon Street, near the Amer consulate. Fair prices for excellent work! I am extremely protective of my teeth and always demand a dentist who is just as protective.

For periodontics (gums), no one beats Dr Darede, the professor of the subject at CMU. She and her colleagues at her lovely clinic right across from Ruam Paet Hospital (near Chiangmai Gate) are the greatest. Saved my teeth and those of many others. All of the dentists there speak excellent English (but the receptionist doesnt speak much) and are very gentle and caring. The work in general dentistry too is top rate, and there is NO double pricing. She is open evenings and weekends. The number is 271832

I went to Grace clinic today. They wanted to do a root canal before they took an x-ray. I told them that I had just broken the enamel off an old molar, and that the tooth had no sensitivity to cold. They take the xray, and there was no problem on the root. Then they wanted to do an ceramic overlay(9000B), but after I enquired as to the strength of this material, the dentist admitted that it probably would not be strong enough for the molar. Then the 15000B crown is suggested, but I tell them that for a rear tooth, I will be satisfied with the 7000B(not including posts) metallic crown. I tell her that I am leaving town on Tuesday,but It takes me five minutes to find out that "maybe" it would not be ready by then-despite the fact that there web site advertises 3-5 days completion time for crowns. Finally I ask for a temporary filling that will last until I arrive in Jomtien on the 12th. She does a slap dash job- no prep work- just slapped it in, and got me out of the chair. I went upstairs to wait for my bill, and the filling fell out. I only paid for the xray, and I left.

Granted, she was not the dentist the many seem to favor so highly, but this pattern of behaviour strongly suggests that this place is an over priced Farang trap. They could not make money from an informed consumer, so they did shoddy work. If I had blindly agreed to there treatment program, I would be out 15000-25000, instead of 5-8, which is the proper price for a metallic crown inclusive of all preps and posts. How do I know this/ I just had four gold- alloy/porcelain crowns done in Patong beach(one of the most expensive cities in Thailand) for 24000B all inclusive.

Fore warned is fore armed, and I am grateful for the members who posted warnings about this place.

I have used Chiang Mai Dental Clinic for many years, but had to change because of incompetence.

Moved to grace, while they seemed much more professional. I felt they did treatement that was not neccessary. They removed a perfectly good upper molar because the lower one needed to be removed (or did it) On another tooth they recommened that I redo a root canal that had previously been done because it might not be deep enough before I cover it with an overlay.

Was disapointed with Grace, so a few month later when a peice of a tooth broke, I tried Y and B clinic, which has a Brazilian Dentist. Same trap, part of my tooth broke off and they wanted to do a root cannal and ceramic overlay for about 20k instead of just putting a simple filling to cover it as I did not have any pain.

The hot blooded Brazillian dentist got mad when I suggested that I only wanted the tooth filled.

Didn't know who to go to next and Grace had a very long waiing list to fill my tooth so went back to Chiang Mai Dental Clinic and the dentist there simply filled the tooth without recommending a root cannal and ceramic overlay.

No problem ever since.

I think because we are considered rich farangs there is a scam to recommend treatment that is not neccessary as they can make much more money from a 20k root cannal and ceramic overlays then from a simple 800 baht filling.

Chiang Mai Dental Clinic where is this located. ?

I know that Chiangmai Dental Hospital is on the Superhighway about 200 metres south of Chotana....

• 1 year later...

Just bumping this for those who may find this info helpful.

Last week my crown broke off in the morning, so called Grace Dental in the hope for an emergency repair (just to temp glue it back on). The receptionist said she would call back in 5 mins. 30 mins later i rang back as I was concerned that maybe i gave the wrong number, or she took it down wrong. She confirmed the number, which was correct, and said she would call me back in 5 mins. 30 mins later I called back again, and a different receptionist told me that the other receptionist had gone out for a while and would call me on her return. At this point my bf was frustrated at me for calling back once again, saying i should go find another one.

Had some things to do with my bf, so we just went out and got on with things, keeping our eye out on the way for any dentist clinics which looked quite good and worth taking a pop-in visit to. Midday he found a really nice looking clinic and we went in. They had no problems getting me in to see a dentist, who spoke perfect English. He took a lot of time with me and an excellent temp crown was made in a couple of hours (the remaining part of my old crown had by this time decided to totally give way, so temp was the best way). He said the temp would last up to around 3 months. Due to his manner etc, I decided to ask him to make me a new porcelain crown, which i had fitted yesterday. He colour matched my tooth perfectly. He also said that if i didnt like it, no matter how many times, he would have a new one re-made. He really is a dentist who seems to love his work and has very good people skills (as well as dental skills). I dont find going to the dentist easy, but I felt i was in very good hands.

If you are looking for an alternative to Grace Dental then I highly recommend him (personally I found this dentist and the surgery environment much better than Grace).

The surgery is Lanna Dental Care Clinic. 39 Samlarn Road. Phra Singh. (Its just a few steps from the main post office, same side of road). 053-326-221-2

The Dentist is saw was Dr Attavit.

Opening hours are: 9am - 8pm (they are open weekdays, but the appointments are from 5pm - 8pm then. So, like me, dont be surprised and wondering whats going on if you walk in midday and there are no people around! Its just not the appointment time).

Oh..and Grace Clinic did eventually call me back in the afternoon, and to their credit said they were able to fit me in at 5pm, but I had already been to Lanna Dental by this point so cancelled. To be honest, im quite glad, as I wouldnt have found the clinic I am with now.

GRACE ----

I also went to Grace clinic for a cleaning... and was shocked at the 1,200 THB price. When I was in Phuket... Went to state of the art facility at Bangkok - Phuket Hospital and paid 700THB for the same thing.

Also... they said I had 2 teeth with cracks in them and also said I needed a ROOT CANAL. I got a second opinion and I did NOT need a root canal.

The facilities are nice... equipment is new... but Grace is a big FARANG trap as stated above... they quote high prices and tell you that you need work done that you don't need.

My brother needs some work and I will try KITCHA clinic and let you know.

Oh and Lanna Dental Care Clinic was much cheaper than Grace too.

After 3 appointments (inc a check up next week), a temp crown, a lot of treatment time, and my porcelain crown (zirconia), i was only charged for the crown (the price of the crown included all the fittings, check-ups, etc). (Final price was several thousand cheaper than quoted on the Grace website).

Let's hope that is not proof of their incompetence.

That's always a possibility here as well as in the USA.

OTOH dentistry is often more complicated than it appears to the consumer.

Dr Supachai, Big Smile Dental Clinic. www.bigsmilecm.com At the southern end of Arak Road, western border of the old city, inside the moat, on the left just past the big raintree overhanging the road. Fluent English. And good, clear communications explaining procedures, options and costs. In a land of many disappointments, this is one of the best professionals that I have come across in any field.

I've used him for over 6 years, crowns etc, my wife has had major bridge work and my daughter has had good regular maintenance and a second wisdom tooth pulled today. He's smooth, accurate, fast and painless. He has made good on a crown guarantee that later needed a root canal. Clean, modern equipment and office.

I returned to the USA for awhile and had a checkup there from a dentist in San Francisco who sees dental work from all over the world. He told me that the work done in my mouth (by Dr Supachai) is the best that he had seen from outside the US. don

Edited by drtreelove

No problem ever since.

Have to agree with you about Grace. I tried them a few years ago and was recommended 70,000 bahts worth of treatment which was well over the top. If you've got the money and don't mind paying their silly prices it's your choice, bit not mine.

I started using Chiang mai Dental Hospital but they've jumped on the band wagon in recent months with silly prices..........and the quality of the dental work has gone down at the same time.

So I'm on the look out for a good realistic dental practise that doesn't get $ signs as soon as you walk through the door.

I also recommend Grace clinic. Excellent work by top notch dentists. I had several crowns, serious cleaning, 5 root canals and some bridgework done... all for under $2800 Canadian. Canadian dentists quoted me up to $15,000 for the same work.

For periodontics (gums), no one beats Dr Darede, the professor of the subject at CMU. She and her colleagues at her lovely clinic right across from Ruam Paet Hospital (near Chiangmai Gate) are the greatest. Saved my teeth and those of many others. All of the dentists there speak excellent English (but the receptionist doesnt speak much) and are very gentle and caring. The work in general dentistry too is top rate, and there is NO double pricing. She is open evenings and weekends. The number is 271832

What is the name of the clinic please?

• 4 weeks later...

Adding to the wealth of dental reviews... My wife and I went to Kitcha Dental Clinic today. My wife had the male doctor (Kitcha Tungthangthum DDS. B.Sc.) and I had a female, but I'm not certain of her name so I won't post my guess. We both came in for a general checkup/cleaning/polishing. My wife said Dr. Kitcha was very gentle and she had a good experience.

My experience was vastly different and quite painful. My dr. was very rough and careless in my mouth. Multiple times her cleaning tool slipped and jabbed my gums as she cleaned. I yelped in pain and the nurses found it funny. The nurses helping kept the tool for sucking out saliva too far down my throat so much that I choked a couple times. It ended with about a 15 second speed polishing and no fluoride cleaning. If you look in my mouth, you can see the cuts where she jabbed my gums. I also had a tooth drilled and filled without novacaine which was rather painful though I'm told that's the norm in Thailand so I was ready for that. What made it worse, I was next to the lobby where they had a horror Thai movie playing so I got to listen to someone being chopped up with an axe while my dentist was chopping at my teeth. I like to think I take good care of my teeth and have seen many dentists and orthodontists over my short 26 year life to know quality work when I get it, but I've never experienced carelessness even remotely close to this. I will NEVER go back to this clinic and recommend you request the male doctor or go somewhere else.

Having said that, the staff was friendly and welcoming despite my opinion of shoddy work. It cost 1500b for 2 cleanings and one filling.

Edited by mnbcm

I have a good friend who happends to be a dentist.

Always refered me to his partner since I'm a friend.

Well, broke one tooth and another fell out ( good ol American Army dentistry) so I called 'em, it was a Sunday.

The guy ( my friend ) was actually very good. Soft hands, constantly asking if I was alright.

Needless to say, he did a wonderful job and I highly recommend him.

Dr. Phu office: 053 854360

I know he has several offices around town and works at the one closest to me on Saturdays.

Office is located north of the Rumchoc Market, across the river bridge, in the strip next to Pizzamania ( just south )

If ya do give 'em a call, tell them his "Uncle" John recommended him. ( he will owe me a bottle of whiskey then.. :o )

I just had a root canal & a post done at Grace.

Work seemed fine & professional.

Cost was 7000 TB for Root Canal

2500 TB for post & fill

Seemed like a deal & I know I needed it as the same was

told to me in the USA before I left. Except the cost in the USA

was 1600 USD So... TL pretty good deal considering Grace ran about 270 USD all told.

Before going to Grace I also had a appointment/estimate at Fortune Dental & they seemed quite capable too.

They also quoted the same price for the root canal but did not mention the need for a post.

Graces explanation of the need for a post made sense to me so I went with it too.

I just had a root canal & a post done at Grace.

Work seemed fine & professional.

Cost was 7000 TB for Root Canal

2500 TB for post & fill

Seemed like a deal & I know I needed it as the same was

told to me in the USA before I left. Except the cost in the USA

was 1600 USD So... TL pretty good deal considering Grace ran about 270 USD all told.

Before going to Grace I also had a appointment/estimate at Fortune Dental & they seemed quite capable too.

They also quoted the same price for the root canal but did not mention the need for a post.

Graces explanation of the need for a post made sense to me so I went with it too.

I go to Grace when I have a problem. I think they do excellent work at reasonable prices and they've never recommended anything to me that I didn't already know I needed.

When I just need a cleaning I've tried several other dentists including Kitcha and Fortune. Almost every time I've had a cleaning the dentist tells me about a filling I need. Always a different tooth. Grace has never found any of those cavities. I've been to Y&B twice now for a cleaning. I think they do a good job. At least they haven't found any cavities.

try Elite Smile, i have always been happy there and it is not a farang ripoff place. each dentist has his or her speciality. extreemly clean. run more like a professional dental practice than a business. website www.elitesmilecm.com

good luck

RAM Dental clinic charges less than Grace and seems just as good. They never have tried to talk me into any procedures that I did not already know that I had to have or into taking any unnecessary medication.

I've always been pleased there.

Empress. On the canal road heading south towards Hand Dong. Dr. Juranee comes out of the Grace Clinic to start her own business. Excellent work! Cheaper than Grace.