Charity Worker

bsided69

Could anybody help with emails or phone numbers for local Chiang Mai children charitys,homes,etc as my Mother is coming for 3 weeks with plans to retire here in a few years. She would like to get involved with this kind of charity work when she retires here. She has vast experience in childrens welfare having worked for the NHS in England for over 30 years.( Think she will get a shock when she sees the way things work here.)

Many Thanks

Can't figure why you put this in the Pattaya forum when it's searching for info in Chiang Mai, maybe it needs relocating.

Anyhow, as honourable as your mother's intentions are I have a feeling even voluntary work requires a work permit. Unless her NHS experience runs to qualifications she may have difficulties getting legal work.

Strictly speaking PhilHarries is right you need a work permit to do voluntary work in Thailand. Practically speaking there are many children's organisations in CM that would welcome help on any kind of basis.

I recommend contacting Give and Live who work with many different children's charities in the city and are an excellent organisation. There is a contact email address at the bottom of the homepage.

anybody knows whatever happened to the Justin M. Dart Foundation??? they were pretty active at one point of time but seems to have mellowed down.

tigerbeer - I think if you do a search of the forum you will find rumours (gossip?) regarding financial shenanigans and fallings out of key personnel.

To the OP - I may be in the same situation in the future and would be very interested to learn how you and your mother get on. My mother is not experienced in child care but is a retired and highly qualified nurse, I know that she would want to be involved in helping the community so any news of your progress would make for useful reading.

JxP

Strictly speaking PhilHarries is right you need a work permit to do voluntary work in Thailand. Practically speaking there are many children's organisations in CM that would welcome help on any kind of basis.

I recommend contacting Give and Live who work with many different children's charities in the city and are an excellent organisation. There is a contact email address at the bottom of the homepage.

Thanks very much for your help.

There's also a place called "Agape Home" where HIV positive children live. They do not need money, they only need people who can conduct activities.

But if your mother does not mind them being aggressively Christian, then it should be just fine. (Some of them condemn the Buddhism and Islamic cultures for some reasons related to HIV)

Vieng Ping Children’s Home, 63/3 Moo 4 Donkaew, Maerim, Chiang Mai 50180; tel 053-236-049/211877; fax 053-220-802

Edited by Crow Boy
eMail address removed in accordance to forum rules - if you are interested, please send a PM to the poster for the details