Jomtien For A Family Break?

JuniorExPat

I'm thinking about making the great trek from the leafy green wilds of Chiang Mai down to the hustle and bustle of the seaside. My brother-in-law lives in Jomtien and we will be visiting him but he is probably not that in touch with places to go and stay so I've decided to consult the oracle . . .

Pattaya is often sold as a family destination but I'm sure most would agree that would be a misrepresentation, what's the score with Jomtien?

It's been several years since I last visited either Pattaya or Jomtien and I have no idea what it would be like with children to keep entertained but more importantly with a western adult to keep fed, watered and relaxed!

If you have any local knowledge to share about places to stay, tourist attractions, watering holes, children's stuff etc, I'd be really grateful - maybe I can return the favour with a beer or two once we have negotiated the border controls and mastered the southern dialect! :o

Thanks in advance,

JxP

Whilst Pattaya is "in your face", Jomtien is not. I lived there till June last year and I enjoyed it. More relaxed, perhaps more touristy than Pattaya but with enough to keep people occupied. Expat residents often say they like living in Jomtien and going into Pattaya at night sometimes, happy that they do not have it on their doorstep. I think that is right.

For children you obviously have the beach which is marginally better than Pattaya and you can get away from the crowds if you drive far enough along the seafront. Then you have Pattaya Park, a water fun park attraction.

There are plenty of restaurants to eat in and some which I would travel back to revisit. The road from the beach up to View Talay 2 has plenty of bars of varying descriptions so I'm sure something would be acceptable.

As for somewhere to stay, then you have a fairly wide selection from self catering apartments through the cheap and nasty to expensive villas. If you post up your requirements for accommodation and a budget then perhaps we can suggest some suitable alternatives.

I would agree with torrenova except for his recommendation of Pattaya Water Park, I have visited the water park twice in the last five year, first time I was positively sick when I used the changing area, it was totally disgusting.

I visited it again two years ago thinking that it would have improved but found it to be even worse, when you get out of the changing area/restroom you just want to shower, it is a real health hazard.

Unless anybody has news that the changing area has been dynamited and replaced I would give the water park a miss.

BB

Tiger Zoo, Mini Golf, Go-Karts, Sanctuary of Truth, Mini Siam, Crocodile Farm and visit out to Koh Larn. Heaps of things to do and see. Pattaya has families and couples running around, surprisingly as it may seem. However unless you are going to main touristy bits after dark u have little to fear from Patters.

Whilst Pattaya is "in your face", Jomtien is not. I lived there till June last year and I enjoyed it. More relaxed, perhaps more touristy than Pattaya but with enough to keep people occupied. Expat residents often say they like living in Jomtien and going into Pattaya at night sometimes, happy that they do not have it on their doorstep. I think that is right.

For children you obviously have the beach which is marginally better than Pattaya and you can get away from the crowds if you drive far enough along the seafront. Then you have Pattaya Park, a water fun park attraction.

There are plenty of restaurants to eat in and some which I would travel back to revisit. The road from the beach up to View Talay 2 has plenty of bars of varying descriptions so I'm sure something would be acceptable.

As for somewhere to stay, then you have a fairly wide selection from self catering apartments through the cheap and nasty to expensive villas. If you post up your requirements for accommodation and a budget then perhaps we can suggest some suitable alternatives.

Thanks torrenova, much appreciated.

The beach will, no doubt, be the main attraction but I want to be prepared for when boredom sets in - grumpy children make for grumpy adults and vice versa!

My wife worked at Pattaya Park Hotel some years ago (when it first opened, I think) it might be fun for her to go back for a visit. Basil B's post concerns me a bit, will have to check that out first before letting the children go wild there.

On the accommodation front we are looking at three families - five adults and seven children (one year old up to fifteen) so five star resorts are not really the order of the day but at the same time budget, backpacker accommodation is not my style and is not my idea of a holiday. Budget is pretty flexible. Somewhere where we could rent three small bungalows/chalets or even one large one for a week to ten days would be ideal. I think it could be time to trawl the booking sites but if there any recommendations that come to mind please let me know.

JxP

I would agree with torrenova except for his recommendation of Pattaya Water Park, I have visited the water park twice in the last five year, first time I was positively sick when I used the changing area, it was totally disgusting.

I visited it again two years ago thinking that it would have improved but found it to be even worse, when you get out of the changing area/restroom you just want to shower, it is a real health hazard.

Unless anybody has news that the changing area has been dynamited and replaced I would give the water park a miss.

BB

Thanks for the info Basil B. It looks like (from their website) something the children would love - I hope someone can report that standards have improved.

JxP

Tiger Zoo, Mini Golf, Go-Karts, Sanctuary of Truth, Mini Siam, Crocodile Farm and visit out to Koh Larn. Heaps of things to do and see. Pattaya has families and couples running around, surprisingly as it may seem. However unless you are going to main touristy bits after dark u have little to fear from Patters.

An excellent list Britmaveric, all noted, thank you.

I didn't mean to offend anyone by anything I wrote about Pattaya, it's just that in the same way that I wouldn't take my family out to Loi Kroh up here in Chiang Mai or to Soi Cowboy in BKK I wouldn't want anyone to feel uncomfortable by having the attractions of "Sin City" in their face for the duration of a holiday. :o

JxP

BB

Thanks for the info Basil B. It looks like (from their website) something the children would love - I hope someone can report that standards have improved.

JxP

I do hope it has.

I know this not the UK and standards are somewhat less, but it was like paddling in raw sewage in there.

It really let the place down because the rest of the water park was really great.

BB

Edited by Basil B

Try www.thailandholidayhomes.co.uk for houses to rent for a week or more.

Paul is English and lives on one of the estates where he rents houses out.

Thanks LucyLui - the site looks very impressive.

Possibly more upmarket than I was thinking of but once we've worked out some dates I'll be considering it as it looks so nice - swimming pool, internet, BBQ, impressive - and when you work it out per head it's not expensive.

JxP