Building A New System

canuckamuck

I have talked myself into upgrading my system. It has been 3 and a half years since I had a new system and I am feeling very 2004. So I will get my guy at Tukcom to put together a new unit for me. I will run XP, because I see no advantage to using Vista. Any Apple suggestions will be considered spam.

I have lost track of techy things in the last few years. What I need advice on is: What are a good value processor/main board, a good value video card, and the best type of ram. By value I mean I don't want leading edge price but I do want a strong performer. I like to work with large image files occasionally, 500MB+. And I have been known to throw a racing game in from time to time. Need for speed is my style. Mostly I just use Office, Photoshop, Indesign, and Illustrator.

Anyone have the 411?

Any Apple suggestions will be considered spam.

Some people just make me laugh..here you are asking for advice then tell everyone you only want to here what you want to here..

Here is a tip for you..try out one of the new commodore 64's or zx81..i here some of the new one's even come with 5 1/4inch floppy and pre loaded chucky egg

Any Apple suggestions will be considered spam.

Some people just make me laugh..here you are asking for advice then tell everyone you only want to here what you want to here..

Here is a tip for you..try out one of the new commodore 64's or zx81..i here some of the new one's even come with 5 1/4inch floppy and pre loaded chucky egg

This answer must come from an Apple Freak!!

I think that the OP Ndirect classify in wich range, PC or Apple, he would like to look, is a GOOD point because he directly save the "Time" of those user's which would like to post the Apple suggestion!

But by the way, I have an nice working Apple SE with 20 MB Hdd if you like to "upgarde" to a newer system as you existing one!

Cheers!

If i was building a mid range system right now I'd go for something like

Core 2 Duo E6750 approx 7,000b

Mid range ASUS 945G chipset motherboard approx 3,000b

2GB 800MHZ Value Ram approx 1800b

X1950 Pro Video Card (still best bang for your buck) approx 6,000b

22" inch LCD display approx 12,000b

Case w/ power supply approx 2,500b

400GB HD approx 3,500b

DVD RW approx 1,500

That's a pretty decent system for around 37,000 baht which will be more than enough for office / general work and will give you decent frame rates for recent games at medium settings. If you've already got a monitor, that brings the price down a lot.

If it's going to be a game machine go for the new Geforce 8800GT (about 9,000b).

Thanks Simmo that is the sort of answers I am looking for. Keep them coming people.BTW I am only interested in Processor/mainboard, video card, and ram type. Don't worry about the rest.

And for the Apple spammer, you really like to live your stereotype don't you. I have no use for OSX (insert cat of the month here). I work with a lot of you with appletons and I have watched a continual parade of Macbooks heading to Bangkok this year with defects. So convenient. If I have a problem I can either fix it myself, or go to any shop and have it back in an hour for a few hundred baht.

Why would I want to pay double for that sort of headache.

Edited by canuckamuck

As you can use your old case and HD I have not included them.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 (No need for quadcore, is overkill)

Motherboard: Abit IN9 32X-MAX

Cooler:Scythe Infinity SCINF-1000 (OEM cooler is also OK)

Memory: 2 x Corsair 1GB PC6400, CL4

Videocard: 1 x Asus GeForce 8800 GT (512MB)

Power: Zalman ZM600-HP (600W)

Budget option for MB: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

A bit more expensive: Asus P5K-E

Cooler option: Gigabyte G- Power 2 Pro

Ore water cooling: Gigabyte 3D Galaxy II idf you do not like noise from cooling fan.

Speaker set for your gaming: Creative I- Trigue 3400 or Logitech G-51

Monitor: BenQ FP202W only 20 Inch good value for money.

Many choiche for decent monitor but heard that BenQ is good value for money.

I am going to wait a bit longer with upgrade as there are coming some interesting MB and CPU's in the coming months.

Hmm... if you work with large image files in the range of 500MB+, I'd get more RAM.

If you must use XP, get at least 3GB.

I am not entirely sure how Vista handles more memory, but I think it's something stupid like Vista 32 bit supporting only up to 4GB and 64 bit incompatible with a lot of programs/drivers. And on top of it you'd need to deal with Vista.

Only that operating system which is not under consideration transparently allows more memory... :o

My desk top is getting a little raggedy too. It was state of the art three and a half years ago. I have decided to keep using it because I want to eventually go to the 64 bit Vista and I am not convinced that 64 bit Vista is ready for prime time. I want to give software suppliers and Vista time to improve compatibility.

Thats actually a good guide.. Thanks. Confirmed some build choices I was thinking off..

Only still not sold on the 8800GT over the 8600.. Big price difference and I do no gaming on this.. For video work and H264 decoding I may save the 8k baht or so price diff and stick with an 8600 512.

I have been happy with ASUS motherboards for the last few years , the seem to perform solidly and fine.

also XFX video cards are my choice - though I have not used an ATI card for years - I have an XFX 8600GT and I can run crysis at medium detail on 1440x900 nicely.

You didn't say what your current system is but being only 3+ years it should be okay for what you do unless you want to play some of the latest games.

Save the money and take vacation instead.

You are right, my current system handles my needs, It is just a case of simple materialism. I want something new.

You didn't say what your current system is but being only 3+ years it should be okay for what you do unless you want to play some of the latest games.

Save the money and take vacation instead.

You are right, my current system handles my needs, It is just a case of simple materialism. I want something new.

If the money is burning a hole in your pocket then I think your choices will depend on how much cash you want to spend.

CPU - either Core 2 Duo E6750 (2.66Ghz), E6850 (3.0 Ghz) or Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4 Ghz). The E6750 will save you 3k baht and the other two are about the same in price at 9.5k baht. I went with the Quad core because as the newer software applications take advantage of the quad core you will really have some performance improvement that will override the clock/FSB speeds of the other two CPU's.

Motherboard - Will depend on which CPU you pick but ASUS and Gigabyte are good choices if not the best. If your work is important you might consider a board that supports RAID.

Graphics card - If gaming is not very important then go for Geforce 8600 GT card. It will save you 5k baht over the 8800 GT (with 512Mb on board)which is around 9.5k baht. The 8800 GTS (with 512 Mb on board) will cost maybe 13k baht. If you have the cash always get something better than you need so all the possible needs are covered.

RAM - Again will depend which CPU and motherboard you buy but you want 2-3 Gig. DDR3 is the latest generation RAM but you will pay for it through the nose. DDR2 is much less expensive and it was my choice because they had a DDR2 that uses a 1066Mhz FSB which matched the Quad CPU and was much cheaper. Not sure if they have an DDR2 that runs at the 1333Mhz FSB that is required by the Core 2 Duo's mentioned above. Corsair. OCZ and Geil are good names for RAM.

You might check www.busitek.com for prices before you go shopping.

Another solid post..

I was quoted 5900 for a 8600GT 512 v 13k for an 8800GT 320Mb.. With 0 gaming I think thats a trade off I would take..

Trying to do that an E6850, higher end MB (asus), 2GB DDR2 (was looking at 800), and a 500GB sata for under 30k.. Actually hoped for under 25 but its more likely that would need to drop down to E6750.. Being on Phuket means prices are not as competitive.

Thanks for this guys, theres been some good pricing info in this.

Ok, I am seeing things that I can work with here. I think the GeForce 8600 512 will be my V card, It is likely is already beyond my needs. Now I am trying to make a decision about the processor. Now I have heard some back and forth about xeons, and in my head that was the same as a quad core. But likely with that statement I have just exposed my ignorance. In the processor world, what is a xeon? and what do they cost?

I have talked myself into upgrading my system. It has been 3 and a half years since I had a new system and I am feeling very 2004. So I will get my guy at Tukcom to put together a new unit for me. I will run XP, because I see no advantage to using Vista. Any Apple suggestions will be considered spam.

I have lost track of techy things in the last few years. What I need advice on is: What are a good value processor/main board, a good value video card, and the best type of ram. By value I mean I don't want leading edge price but I do want a strong performer. I like to work with large image files occasionally, 500MB+. And I have been known to throw a racing game in from time to time. Need for speed is my style. Mostly I just use Office, Photoshop, Indesign, and Illustrator.

Anyone have the 411?

Your specs sound similar to mine when I had your itch... Check out my two threads on Building a "Dream Computer" Lots of Info and discussion re specs, etc.

Final Purchase breakdown is here > My "dream Computer" - Finally Purchased

Main Discussion Thread is here > Building A "dream Computer" In Thailand.

The only update I would make is that Jedi in Pantip would still be high on my list for Hardware and assembly.. But I've realized that when it comes to O/S problems and software issues, they leave a lot to be desired. If you can afford it get a legit WinXP Pro SP2 O/S, instead of a Copy.

Best of luck and have fun.

CS

But I've realized that when it comes to O/S problems and software issues, they leave a lot to be desired.

I don't think any shops in Thailand can deal well w/ OS & software issues. Reformat and reinstall is about their only solution.

However, in fairness, most shops in in the USA are similar. It takes a software expert to deal w/ software issues, and a typical shop can't afford to pay to have one around full time. Tracking down a software problem can take a while, and since the hourly rates are pretty high, the final bill becomes . . . um, truly shocking.

In the processor world, what is a xeon? and what do they cost?

Xeon is marketing name for Intel's server-class CPU's. I don't think its something you need.

Xeons have better performance and come at a way higher price than the consumer-class CPUs. You probably don't need them unless you plan on doing some heavy number crunching or you are building a large server.

The "God Box" design uses two Xeon X5460 at $1,333 a piece for a total of 8 cores... :o

http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/guide-200801.ars/4

At my previous employer we used Xeons for Finite Element calculations - a good example of when you really want them. Didn't matter that the CPUs cost $1000 a piece, what mattered was that they saved a day or two in calculation time. Our calculations at the time took anywhere from 3 to 10 days...

Asus would likely be a good mainboard brand, and if you're going Intel way, I'd recommend P5K series or better, as they have quad core support. Note, however, that 32 bit operating system (XP or Vista) will only see 3.25 GB of RAM, which isn't very much, given each core gets a quarter of that. So don't buy more RAM than your OS supports, you can always add later. Corsair, Geil, Kingston are reliable brands.

I beg to disagree on that statement tomaz. All current Intel multi-core processors are SMP implementations that share all the memory. What you are describing is NUMA architecture which Intel will introduce to its server CPUs in late 2008. The only other processor, apart from the big guns like SGI Alpha and DEC, that uses ccNUMA is the AMD Opteron. In any case, NUMA is rather specialized and fits better on server workloads than desktops.