Parasitic Worms

micksterbs

Well, I looked back a few pages to see if anyone else had posted about this and, surprisingly, couldn't find anything. Surprised as I'm sure a lot of farangs will see these at some time in LOS. I'm assuming that one can get some pills or some-such for this but does one need to see a doctor or is there something available OTC?

I realise that they're not the end of the world but I'm damned if I'm giving anything a free ride!

Thanks for any help.

what are your symptoms?

did you get a stool test?

there are some great medicines cheap and easy

sorry i cant recall the name

tinzoldole or something

take 2 just one time and clears many things right up

i take it once a year just to be sure

i eat foods prepped from so many places

i am quite concerned about egg transmission

from workers unclean hands

I take Zentel (albendazole) every 6 months or so just in case I have worms. Give it to the maid too.

This from www.drugs.com:

Tinidazole is an antibiotic that fights bacteria in the body.

Tinidazole is used to treat certain infections caused by bacteria, such as infection of the intestines or vagina. It is also used to treat certain sexually transmitted infections.

I take Zentel (albendazole) every 6 months or so just in case I have worms. Give it to the maid too.

This from www.drugs.com:

Tinidazole is an antibiotic that fights bacteria in the body.

Tinidazole is used to treat certain infections caused by bacteria, such as infection of the intestines or vagina. It is also used to treat certain sexually transmitted infections.

that's the stuff Zentel. That's what I took.

Cheers Deejah, Moldy and Tammi! I'll give it a shot. We're both pretty clean people and I keep the kitchen spotless. I spent the last 15 years in the food industry and am fastidious about keeping fresh and prepared food separate in the fridge, etc. But we eat out now and then and buy cooked food from stalls. Proabably got to me that way.

Thanks for the info!

:o

you might find this information useful

Treatment For Parasites

69. Flagyl (metronidazole) -750mg 3 x a day for 10 days. Followed by Yodoxin for many parasites. For Clostridium Difficile take 250mg, 4 times a day or 500mg, 3 times a day. It may cause nausea/vomiting (uncomfortable but usually not worrisome). Do not drink alcohol while on this medication as it will make you vomit. The SR (sustained release) form is easier on the stomach (as is the Brand name form). If you get numbness/tingling in your fingers (or it worsens if you usually have it) stop the Flagyl.

70. Yodoxin (iodoquinol) -650 mg- 3 x a day for 20 days after Flagyl is completed.

71. Tinidazole -2000mg --Once daily for 3 consecutive days with food (for Entamoeba Histolytica) OR -3 doses -each 2 weeks apart (for Giardia or Dientamoeba Fragilis).

72. Humatin (Paromomycin) -500mg 3 times a day for 10 days (for Cryptosporidium). For blastocystis add Yodoxin.

73. Zithromax -250mg 1 a day on an empty stomach for 10 days, along with Bactrim 1 tablet twice a day for 10 days (alternate treatment for Cryptosporidium). Add Artemesia (#84).

74. Bactrim DS -1 twice a day for plus Yodoxin 650mg 3 times a day with food for 10 days. Do not take folic acid supplements (e.g., B complex or multivitamins) for these 10 days (for blastocystis).

75. Amphotericin B -100mg twice a day plus Tinidazole 500mg twice a day plus Furoxone (Furazolidone) 1 tablet twice a day. Take these 3 together with food for 5 to 7 days.

76. Lactoferrin -350mg, 1 to 3 capsules at bedtime.

77. Artemesia Annua -500 mg- 2 tablets 3 x a day for 20 days.

78. Tricyclin -2 tablets 3 x a day after meals for 6-8 weeks (concentrated Artemesia).

79. Colostrum ("mother's milk") -3 capsules 3 x a day for 8-12 weeks. Then stop or use the lowest dose needed for symptoms. If nausea or indigestion occurs, lower the dose to a comfortable level for 1-2 weeks till it passes. Take on an empty stomach.

80. Quinacrine -100mg a day for 5 days. May be useful for empiric therapy of suspected but not identified parasites (controversial).

81. Albendazole -400mg a day for 5 days. May be useful for empiric therapy of suspected but not identified parasites.

Secnidazole Tablets 500 mg(F/C

Secnidazole, a long-acting 5-nitroimidazole derivative, has been used but is not available in the United States. Similar to tinidazole and ornidazole, secnidazole is usually given as a single dose. The most common regimen is 2 g in adults and 30 mg/kg in children 95. Clinical studies demonstrate efficacy rates of over 85% with the single dose in adults 49; R. Baqai, H. Qureshi, and S. J. Zuberi; Letter, J. Pak. Med. Assoc. 45:288, 1995), and in children, this dosing is as effective as a 7- to 10-day course of metronidazole 100; Rastegar-Lari and Salek-Moghaddam, Letter). The drug is rapidly and completely absorbed, has a half-life of 17 to 29 hours, and is metabolized via oxidation in the liver 95. Adverse effects have been reported, most notably gastrointestinal disturbance (nausea, anorexia, and abdominal pain) and dizziness, but usually do not require discontinuation of the drug.

confirm

same stuff i took

what are your symptoms?

if not too personal :o

Well, the only symptom is actually sighting the odd one now and then. I'm not aware of anything else; if there is, it must be very slight. The ones I've seen have been 1.5"-2" long and a sort of grey translucent colour. Not really something to be relished but, as far as I'm aware, not really doing any great damage. Obviously want to nip it in the bud though.

confirm

same stuff i took

what are your symptoms?

Well, the only symptom is actually sighting the odd one now and then. I'm not aware of anything else; if there is, it must be very slight. The ones I've seen have been 1.5"-2" long and a sort of grey translucent colour. Not really something to be relished but, as far as I'm aware, not really doing any great damage. Obviously want to nip it in the bud though.

Are you sure they're not bean sprouts?

you might find this information useful

Treatment For Parasites

69. Flagyl (metronidazole) -750mg 3 x a day for 10 days. Followed by Yodoxin for many parasites. For Clostridium Difficile take 250mg, 4 times a day or 500mg, 3 times a day. It may cause nausea/vomiting (uncomfortable but usually not worrisome). Do not drink alcohol while on this medication as it will make you vomit. The SR (sustained release) form is easier on the stomach (as is the Brand name form). If you get numbness/tingling in your fingers (or it worsens if you usually have it) stop the Flagyl.

70. Yodoxin (iodoquinol) -650 mg- 3 x a day for 20 days after Flagyl is completed.

71. Tinidazole -2000mg --Once daily for 3 consecutive days with food (for Entamoeba Histolytica) OR -3 doses -each 2 weeks apart (for Giardia or Dientamoeba Fragilis).

72. Humatin (Paromomycin) -500mg 3 times a day for 10 days (for Cryptosporidium). For blastocystis add Yodoxin.

73. Zithromax -250mg 1 a day on an empty stomach for 10 days, along with Bactrim 1 tablet twice a day for 10 days (alternate treatment for Cryptosporidium). Add Artemesia (#84).

74. Bactrim DS -1 twice a day for plus Yodoxin 650mg 3 times a day with food for 10 days. Do not take folic acid supplements (e.g., B complex or multivitamins) for these 10 days (for blastocystis).

75. Amphotericin B -100mg twice a day plus Tinidazole 500mg twice a day plus Furoxone (Furazolidone) 1 tablet twice a day. Take these 3 together with food for 5 to 7 days.

76. Lactoferrin -350mg, 1 to 3 capsules at bedtime.

77. Artemesia Annua -500 mg- 2 tablets 3 x a day for 20 days.

78. Tricyclin -2 tablets 3 x a day after meals for 6-8 weeks (concentrated Artemesia).

79. Colostrum ("mother's milk") -3 capsules 3 x a day for 8-12 weeks. Then stop or use the lowest dose needed for symptoms. If nausea or indigestion occurs, lower the dose to a comfortable level for 1-2 weeks till it passes. Take on an empty stomach.

80. Quinacrine -100mg a day for 5 days. May be useful for empiric therapy of suspected but not identified parasites (controversial).

81. Albendazole -400mg a day for 5 days. May be useful for empiric therapy of suspected but not identified parasites.

Secnidazole Tablets 500 mg(F/C

Secnidazole, a long-acting 5-nitroimidazole derivative, has been used but is not available in the United States. Similar to tinidazole and ornidazole, secnidazole is usually given as a single dose. The most common regimen is 2 g in adults and 30 mg/kg in children 95. Clinical studies demonstrate efficacy rates of over 85% with the single dose in adults 49; R. Baqai, H. Qureshi, and S. J. Zuberi; Letter, J. Pak. Med. Assoc. 45:288, 1995), and in children, this dosing is as effective as a 7- to 10-day course of metronidazole 100; Rastegar-Lari and Salek-Moghaddam, Letter). The drug is rapidly and completely absorbed, has a half-life of 17 to 29 hours, and is metabolized via oxidation in the liver 95. Adverse effects have been reported, most notably gastrointestinal disturbance (nausea, anorexia, and abdominal pain) and dizziness, but usually do not require discontinuation of the drug.

Hey mikster, best not to take them all at once mate. :o

There are many different types of parasites, not all of them worms.

Tinidazole, secnidazole, and flagyl treat protozoa and amoeba, not worms. They also have side effects are are certainly not something you'd want to take on a routine basis without having had any symptoms.

For routine "deworming"a single 400 mg dose of albednazole which is sold everytwhere over the counter in Thailand un der many brand names (Zentel, Fugacar I think, many others) , just ask for "ya pai yat". It's safe enough for self-treatment as long as no history of allergy to it (rare) and not pregnant.

confirm

same stuff i took

what are your symptoms?

Are you sure they're not bean sprouts?

Well, not unless beansprouts are able to wriggle and writhe under their own steam.

i would have to say you are quite lucky to have actual speciems

as disgusting as this sounds

you can actually take them to a pharmaisit, dr, or lab and they will tell you exactly what it is

i did the same with something in my toilet

turned out to be mosquiot lavae

sorry for spelling in a hurry

be careful self medicating... i took tinizadole in argentina as after travelling in south america i was pretty sure i had picked up giardia... i had a full blown panic attack that really lasted a couple of days. read later that this drug messes with the lithium levels in your brain- i can't remember ever feeling so crazy. also you are not supposed to drink alcohol within 3 days of taking it as it had bad side effects.

...From.....

as disgusting as this sounds

you can actually take them to a pharmaisit, dr, or lab and they will tell you exactly what it is

i did the same with something in my toilet

turned out to be mosquiot lavae

Not disgusting at all...when you see someone who cant stop eating but is loosing weight quickly....and is not attending one of those trendy expensive ..mostly femail clubs...then action is needed quickly.

Lots of people think that only dogs get the old worms...and when they do...they howl........ :D but people seem to try and hope that they will go away......Yicks.....

Spent some time in west africa and the subject of conversation (in the Club.. old boy) was not who has /had the damm worms but how BIG they were ? :o ....10-20 meters for a nice Tape ...or 6-10 inches for the spagetti versions...

These little paras aint fussy about whos gut they live in...anyone will do ..nicely..... :D:D

be careful self medicating... i took tinizadole in argentina as after travelling in south america i was pretty sure i had picked up giardia... i had a full blown panic attack that really lasted a couple of days. read later that this drug messes with the lithium levels in your brain- i can't remember ever feeling so crazy. also you are not supposed to drink alcohol within 3 days of taking it as it had bad side effects.

My husband's heart went haywire once when he took alcohol when on Flagyl (metronidazole) - I had the panic attack!

Interestingly, we never had any problem taking Indian made Flagyl and alcohol.