Relocating To Thailand

HI everyone, as you all can see I'm new here, and have been looking at this forum and thaivisa.com for a few months now, so it looked to me as a good place to ask some questions.

I'm sorry if all my questions have been answered, but I loooked around and didn't really find what I was looking for. Well this is my story. I'm from Sweden and now living in US with a Thai girlfriend. She will be leaving the country in a few months and I want to follow here within the next 6-12 months and hopefully stay there for good. So my question is, what are my options and what is the best cource of action. I was thinking of going there first on a tourist VISA and look around for a few weeks, then if I like it I would again come back on a tourist VISA to look for a job. So my question is, what to do if I can't get a job. me and my girlfriend was talking about starting up some business or maybe me going to school to learn Thai first, that so I can get a better feel of how it is to live in Thailand well more exactlly BKK. We also talked about getting married if I can't get a job right away, but that was not really in our plans yet, we wanted to see if I want to stay there first and have a good life or not. So if I can't get a job and want to start a company, what are the rules, 2M bath and 4 Thai or ?? or could I buy a company for 2M bath with at least 4 Thai hired or ?? The type of companies I have been thinking of is Import/Export mostlly export, as well as resturants or other things.

Right now I work with computers/telecomunications and Audio/video and also have a bachelor degree in Finance, so I woul dhope to find some job in one of those fields, rather computers then, so I hope some one here could give me some advise.

Regards Micael

It would be worth applying for a one year multi non-immigrant O visa before you leave the US.

Yes, you do need a Thai company capitalised for 2M baht (some say 1M baht ??), and 4 Thai employees to qualify for a work permit.

If you are married to a Thai national, then you don't need the 4 Thai employess. Also you don't need a registered company, as your Thai wife's business can employ you, and apply for work permit. At least that's what I'm told, but have no first hand experience of the 'no registered company' routre, but I can confirm that 'less than 4 Thai employees' works for me each year I apply to my WP. Attaching copies of our marriage certificate, wife ID and Tabian Ban for sure smooths out any hiccups with WP extensions.

Thank you for the reply.

So on what grounds can I apply for the "O" VISA and remember I am not a US citizen, but a Swedish, would that be a difference, and I was planing to maybe move to Thai from Sweden after I left US. Would it still be better for me to get the VISA in US before I leave here or just get it in Sweden ??

Well we are not married yet, and we wanted to wait and see how I felt about living in BKK before we got married, my girlfrend wanted me to get to know her familly first as well, so I am hopping I will be able to do this without getting married first.

So is it possible for me to buy a company and then have that company give me a WP, or would I have to start my own company. I was planing on starting it with my girlfriend so I guess that would help in either way.

Also if I would just go to Thailand first to see, how long could I stay with the different VISA's and what VISA to get. And I read somewhere that if I got a 30 day VISA and got it extended 2 times, I would then have to leave Thailand for 90 days before getting anew one, is that true and if so, what VISA is that ??

Thanks again for helping me and sorry for all the question, but I just want to cover my bases.

Regards Micael

No matter whether you apply for Visa in US or Sweden. Best to apply nearer the time of travel to Thailand, and not loose too many days (validity) on whatever visa you apply for.

Wise man to check out your planned new life, before you completely jump in.

You can buy a company, register a new company, or even be employed by someone else's company. But be aware that new WP applications are subject to quite a few hurdles to overcome, in particular your job position must conform to strict Thai guidlines, company activities, and many jobs are preserved only for Thai nationals.

If you just arrive in Thailand without a Tourist or Non-Immigrant visa then you get a 30 day entry stamp in you passport on arrival, for free. Do that 3 times then you are banned from Thailand for 90 days. That's a quick/simple answer. Plenty of detailed discussion on this rule on this forum.

The issue is not about how to set up a company or what qualifications you have. More to the point you need to understand that whatever your qualification there are 10,000 Thais who will do it for a 10th of the wage your use to. Starting a business is the same story. Nothing will destroy a honeymoon quicker than arguments over money so if your nuts about this girl how about move to your country and come here several times a year and live it up?

Do that 3 times then you are banned from Thailand for 90 days

You are not "banned" from Thailand. If you use visa exempt entry you are limited to a total of 90 days in a six month period. You can still enter on any kind of visa for normal stay.

Your fist entry should be with a least a tourist visa as airlines may refuse you boarding without a visa or return ticket within 30 days.

Do that 3 times then you are banned from Thailand for 90 days

You are not "banned" from Thailand. If you use visa exempt entry you are limited to a total of 90 days in a six month period. You can still enter on any kind of visa for normal stay.

Your fist entry should be with a least a tourist visa as airlines may refuse you boarding without a visa or return ticket within 30 days.

Apologies lopaburi3, that was a bad choice of word. Your explanation much more precise... as usual :o

Thanks for all the reply's and suggestions.

So I should get a 60 day VISA or something and then extend that in Thai, so that I can see how it is before I jump head first in. So how long can I possible stay on that. I do plan to make trips home to Sweden as well as tripps back to US now and then for business, so I guess they can be done when I need a new stamp.

Yes I'm sure there are many Thai that would do my job for less than I want to get paid, but then maybe they just can't do the things I am planing to do. Without my contacts in US and Sweden and knowledge in the fields, I hope I will be able to conduct my business in a good way that will give me the income I need to stay there for as long as I want. I will have enough money save to be able to stay about 10 years or so and just live of the intrest, but that is not how I want to live.

Yes I am nuts about her, and I decided to relocate to Thai rather than going back to Sweden as both her and me see many opertunities in Thailand, and I do like the beaches and the warmer weather better :o

Thanks Micael

A tourist single entry visa gives you 60 days in Thailand and can be extended by paying 1,900 baht at local Thai Immigration office. After 90 days you need to get out of Thailand. It's possible to obtain a multi entry visa good for one year, but still need to leave Thailand every 60 or 90 days depending on visa type, and 30 day extension in case of Tourist Visa. I know, sounds complicated for a newbie.

That's why I originally suggested applying for a multi entry visa, prefer non-imm as get 90 days each entry to Thailand. Then you can make a border visa run every 60 or 90 days (depending on visa), at no extra cost (other than initial fees at Thai embassy in Sweden, or wherever).

Thank you for the suggestions. So under what grounds should I apply for a multi entry, non-imm VISA, anything special that I could go for. And should I tell them that I'm going to Thai to relocate and say that I have a Thai girlfriend that I want to stay with or leave that out ??

Thanks you, Micael