Windows Xp Pro

crockett

Last week I bought a OEM disk of XP Pro in IT City. In the box was a leaflet with a critical notice as below:

"As you know, Microsoft has rolled out Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2c (SP2c). As part of

this new rollout, a new product key range has been introduced. Therefore only SP2c product keys will

work with the SP2c image. The SP2c product keys will not be recognized by previous images of

Windows XP Professional.

Required action: System Builders MUST use the enclosed end user media to create new images of

Windows XP Professional, to ensure it works with the new range of product keys.

End users will not be able to successfully complete installation of Windows XP Professional with

Service Pack 2c if System Builders do not update their images to Windows XP 2c. For more

information, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/oem/xp2c."

Now, I have a laptop with a pre-installed XP Pro SP2 already. Let's assume I use this disk to do a

clean install of Windows on the laptop, using of course the old product key of the original installation.

Does above notice mean that my old product key will no longer work?

Thanks for any input.

Last week I bought a OEM disk of XP Pro in IT City. In the box was a leaflet with a critical notice as below:

"As you know, Microsoft has rolled out Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2c (SP2c). As part of

this new rollout, a new product key range has been introduced. Therefore only SP2c product keys will

work with the SP2c image. The SP2c product keys will not be recognized by previous images of

Windows XP Professional.

Required action: System Builders MUST use the enclosed end user media to create new images of

End users will not be able to successfully complete installation of Windows XP Professional with

Service Pack 2c if System Builders do not update their images to Windows XP 2c. For more

Now, I have a laptop with a pre-installed XP Pro SP2 already. Let's assume I use this disk to do a

clean install of Windows on the laptop, using of course the old product key of the original installation.

Thanks for any input.

Normally your "old" CD key works with your "old" windows only. If the Windows XP, which came pre installed on your Laptop uses an VLK Key from an OEM Manufacturer, will not work anymore or have some errors or so, you'll need the CD from the Manufacturer (from your Laptop) to use that CD Key.

In Case you wan to install the "new" XP from your "new" OEM-CD, you can use the CD-Key wich came with this CD only.

The enclosed End User Media is an extra CD which contains special software for to pre-install Windows on an new PC for to sell that computer to an other person and the buyer have to complete the setup on the first start. But that has nothing to do with that you can install that Windows version on any of your computer, you just need to use that new supplied CD-Key which came with it.

So, no problems at all.

Cheers.

Windows XP Professional.

Thanks for any input.

Normally your "old" CD key works with your "old" windows only. If the Windows XP, which came pre installed on your Laptop uses an VLK Key from an OEM Manufacturer, will not work anymore or have some errors or so, you'll need the CD from the Manufacturer (from your Laptop) to use that CD Key.

In Case you wan to install the "new" XP from your "new" OEM-CD, you can use the CD-Key wich came with this CD only.

The enclosed End User Media is an extra CD which contains special software for to pre-install Windows on an new PC for to sell that computer to an other person and the buyer have to complete the setup on the first start. But that has nothing to do with that you can install that Windows version on any of your computer, you just need to use that new supplied CD-Key which came with it.

So, no problems at all.

Cheers.

Thanks for that Reimar.

In this case I better get the CD from the manufacturer of the laptop (IBM) because

I rather keep the new license for a new computer in the future. I do not want to "waste"

this product key just for a re-installation.

Windows XP Professional.

Thanks for any input.

So, no problems at all.

Cheers.

Thanks for that Reimar.

In this case I better get the CD from the manufacturer of the laptop (IBM) because

I rather keep the new license for a new computer in the future. I do not want to "waste"

this product key just for a re-installation.

If you have a fairly new IBM (Lenovo) the original Windows operating system will be on the hard drive so you would not have to use a CD to re-install.

I know Gary A, but the first thing I did after I bought it, was to remove the hidden partition with the factory installation to

gain the space and then did my own image with Acronis. Thus, without CD no clean install. I should have created a recovery disk

first before removing the partition.

You may go to the next IBM Service center and request a CD. But not forget to take the laptop with you because otherwise they would give you a CD. You even may have to pay a small amount.

In BKK the IBM Service Center is at IBM Head Office at Phayathai Road, the way from the Victory Monument to Chatuchak on the right side. Is an big building and difficult to miss.

I paid by Acer THB 100 each for Driver DVD and XP Media-Center CD which both was on an hidden Partition (and still is) on the HDD!

Cheers.

You may go to the next IBM Service center and request a CD. But not forget to take the laptop with you because otherwise they would give you a CD. You even may have to pay a small amount.

In BKK the IBM Service Center is at IBM Head Office at Phayathai Road, the way from the Victory Monument to Chatuchak on the right side. Is an big building and difficult to miss.

I paid by Acer THB 100 each for Driver DVD and XP Media-Center CD which both was on an hidden Partition (and still is) on the HDD!

Cheers.

I bought the laptop in Indonesia, so I'll think it's a good idea to call IBM here them first. Not that I waste time to go there and them telling me that I have to get the CD from the place of purchase.

Anyway, thanks again Reimar.

Cheers.

I bought the laptop in Indonesia, so I'll think it's a good idea to call IBM here them first. Not that I waste time to go there and them telling me that I have to get the CD from the place of purchase.

Anyway, thanks again Reimar.

You don't need to tell at IBM you bought the Laptop where, they would tell you! :o Ibm has an exellent Database and if you ever registred the Laptop with IBM, they would have your details. So, don't worry at all!

Cheers.