Citronella Oil

Jandajoy

Hi all,

In FNQld. and remote NT we always used Citronella oil in the old type hurrican lamps to ward off mozzies. It worked well and smelt ok. Also gave a nice light when sitting out on the deck.

I wondered if anyone had used it here in Issan and if "yes" where thet bought it.

cheers all

I use it all the time. I brought some back from South Africa and made my own candles. Then one day I found Citronella oil in a beauty shop in Buriram. It's the big one by the night market on the right as you go towards the parking area. They also had Citronella balm and a spray. Citronella oil comes from lemon grass and I'm surprised that the stuff is not more freely available.

Edited by Lourens

I've been looking to replace parafin in the lamps i have, i would like to use this or someless parafin

any ideas ?

If you can find Citronella oil at a reasonable price I strongly recommend it. Excellent stuff.

Let me know if you find any.

Cheers

Geoff

• 1 year later...

Genuine citronella oil is very hard to locate as there are many synthetic versions on the markets. According to what I've read on the Internet the chances of finding the geuine article are remote. As far as I can understand, the synthetic ones don't work. Buyer beware.

Edited by coventry