Smtp Port 25 Blocked By Tot?

Khun Jack

Tried to send my mail, but it seems that port 25 is blocked by TOT , checked it with telnet on port 25 and can't connect, port 110 is ok.

May you try Port 465 Protocol: SMTPS, which is SMTP via SSL encrypted connection

Hope that works. If not you need to try a 3. Party provider like Gmail.

It did work!, with two of my web hosting mail accounts, only NetFirms hosting seems not to support the smtp SSL service.

But the mail is send, perhaps TOT tries to block spam this way.

Reimar Thanks!

You'rer welcome! Good that it works.

NetFirms may use a different port for SMTP SSL, you need to checkout that. I would use SSL ports if possible because less mail get blocked. Port 2525 is an alternative as well but only if nothing else is working becaquse is highly frequented by Spammers!

Cheers.

It is common practice for many ISP's to block port 25 incomming basically blocking you from running your own SMTP server. Outgoing connections of course isn't a big problem as you can easily change the port. But for incomming mail, blocking of port 25 is a deal closer.

If you want to run your own smpt server in such a case, the only way around this is to create your domain's MX record to point to your ISP's smtp server, and create a second MX record (with lower rank) to point to your own smtp server, mail from outside will go to the ISP's SMTP server, who then in turn does a lookup in DNS and finds your smtp server MX record.

By the way, you might want to check that your firewall or (and this is not so obvious) your antivirus is blocking your port 25. For instance mcafee virusscan enterprise by default blocks port 25 from being used as protection. It only allows some frequently used mail clients (like outlook or outlook express) access to port 25. Telnet is not included as allowed application :o

Edited by sjaak327

If your using IPStar use the TOT smtp server until the problem is fixed (or when enough of us complain!)

ipstar.tot.co.th

I'm not using ipstar, just normal TOT broadband, but I have been able to send emails using the ipstar smtp server. I was not able to send any emails using port 2525 or 465 with my normal smtp servers.

I am constantly travelling and have 6 email accounts with different smtp servers - and changing the smpt server each time I go somewhere is a major pain in the neck....

..will call TOT this morning as see what they say...

Edited by sonicdragon

Just got off the phone with them. Quite helpful actually. They said they are experiencing excessive spam problems, and so they blocked port 25 while they are fixing it. They plan to unblock it when the problem is fixed, but cannot give any timeframe for that. In the meantime broadband customers can use smtp.totisp.net

Actually I would always use the ISP's smtp server for outgoing mail, simply because some major email providers (hotmail and recently also gmail.com) are blocking mail from dynamic IP addresses (like many broadband users will have).

Just for example Gmail: If you use the correct settings for Gmail, there wouldn't be any problem witch outgoing mail! But you need the right settings not for Gmail only but for your computer and Router as well.

Actually I would always use the ISP's smtp server for outgoing mail, simply because some major email providers (hotmail and recently also gmail.com) are blocking mail from dynamic IP addresses (like many broadband users will have).

All my email providers either have password authentication, or they allow smtp relaying IF the same IP address has successfully logged on to the pop server within the previous 10 minutes.

Just for example Gmail: If you use the correct settings for Gmail, there wouldn't be any problem witch outgoing mail! But you need the right settings not for Gmail only but for your computer and Router as well.

Well to make myself clear, I was talking about delivering mail using your own smtp server, I don't know about gmail but they have been rejecting mail from my smpt server lately, so I assume they have put in the same policy as hotmail. My server isn't blacklisted anywhere (as it is not an open relay), but just because I have a dynamically assigned IP address, hotmail rejects my emails. I even contacted microsoft (about hotmail), they approved my smpt server, but it is still not working, I was fed up with this, and decided to use my ISP's SMTP server as smart host for my smtp server. That server of course isn't on the dynamically assigned Ip list, so no problems.

All my email providers either have password authentication, or they allow smtp relaying IF the same IP address has successfully logged on to the pop server within the previous 10 minutes.

That shouldn't be a problem, as most smtp servers will allow for authentication.

My ISP doesn't require authentication, and is using relay permissions based on IP address.

That shouldn't be a problem, as most smtp servers will allow for authentication.

My ISP doesn't require authentication, and is using relay permissions based on IP address.

I'm not saying that it is a problem. I'm explaining why it is NOT a problem normally. The problem IS that now TOT have blocked port 25 I have to change server details for 6 accounts every time I go out, and then back again when I come home.

Ok I have tried every single SMTP suggested and also rang TOT and I still can't send emails. I have left everything else the same and changed the outgoing server (SMTP) to smtp.totisp.net and it still doesn't work. Help please! :o

Makyai

It is great (sadly) to see other people experienced the same problem with TOT's block of port 25. It was driving me crazy trying to figure out what went wrong. I checked with the host of my web page and found that I could change the port to an alternative port in case the isp blocks 25. I did that and now the email goes out fine. First my server said,

"Confirming a port 25 blockIf you have trouble confirming a port 25 block through your ISP, (we know how ISP technical support can be hit or miss), here's a simple test you can perform on your own to confirm it for yourself:

Assuming you're running a Windows operating system, open a dos or command prompt, and run this command:

telnet [your mail server name] 25"

After I saw an error, I kept reading and it said for my server there was an alternative port number. I advise you to contact your email host and see if there is an alternative to port 25.

Just got off the phone with them. Quite helpful actually. They said they are experiencing excessive spam problems, and so they blocked port 25 while they are fixing it. They plan to unblock it when the problem is fixed, but cannot give any timeframe for that. In the meantime broadband customers can use smtp.totisp.net

It is good they were helpful....however i tried this server and it will not pass on the mail it receives....yes very helpfull.....TIT?

It is good they were helpful....however i tried this server and it will not pass on the mail it receives....yes very helpfull.....TIT?

Same here - this server does not appear to be forwarding mail anywhere.

I have just now spoken to TOT and they say there is a problem with the servers, their own and relaying it appears. However, that is all the information I received. Apparently technicians are dealing with the issue. I am unable to use my own web site SMTP server and have also tried variations on port number.

The servers that I have been instructed to try are:

smtp.totisp.net

smtp-adsl.totonline.net

Outlook 2007 shows messages are sent using this server: smtp.totisp.net - however gives a series of can't contact the SMTP server for others that i have tried. I have been experiencing SMTP issue for around 2 weeks now - thinking alternatively that this is an Outlook 2007 issue or that it is TOT issue. Either way it has been extremely problematic sending email from Thailand, a very basic necessity these days.

Any other ideas out there about what is going on except TIT?

AMH

Basically "Same-Same" as most of above posts. Came back from 2 wks in Laos and found my outgoing email didn't work. After trying everything I could think of and just before making an International call to my webhost, I found in their help page that they suggested changing from SMTP port 25 to port 587. Did, now works fine.

All mail send to smtp.totisp.net disappears in a black hole, the solution that Reimar advised using Port 465 Protocol: SMTPS

is working for two hosting accounts and one (NetFirms) doesn't accept SSL but alternative for port 25 is port 587 (without SSL) , that works with NetFirms and other hosting providers.

Tried to send my mail, but it seems that port 25 is blocked by TOT , checked it with telnet on port 25 and can't connect, port 110 is ok.

I'm not sure if the problem is TOT. I have used TOT no problem, all of a sudden I could receive my YAHOO mail, but not send. Opened up a gmail account as I had urgent mail to send. Found that the POP and SMTP settings were different than YAHOO (which used to be 25 and the other 110, can't remember which was which).

On a hunch, later on checked with YAHOO on the settings for Outlook POP3 email and found that firstly the ports had changed to POP3 - 995 and SMTP 465, and also both incoming and outgoing needed SSL connections, ie box checked.

So, I would guess it was a change in POP3 protocol requirements as YAHOO and apparently TOT independently did the same thing at the same time.

Would have been nice if someone had put something in the papers. Could have helped my blood pressure when I was desperately trying to send emails, and finally had to resort to SMS.

Edited by DavidS

Basically "Same-Same" as most of above posts. Came back from 2 wks in Laos and found my outgoing email didn't work. After trying everything I could think of and just before making an International call to my webhost, I found in their help page that they suggested changing from SMTP port 25 to port 587. Did, now works fine.

We have also had problems with using port 25 both now and two years ago using TOT in Mae Sot. They seem to randomly block and unblock this depending on the volume of spam on their networks or, dare I say, depending on how much bandwdith they need to free up to re-market to new customers. Changing to Port 587 has worked for me with both TOT and Maxnet for 2 years now.

We have also had problems with using port 25 both now and two years ago using TOT in Mae Sot. They seem to randomly block and unblock this depending on the volume of spam on their networks or, dare I say, depending on how much bandwdith they need to free up to re-market to new customers. Changing to Port 587 has worked for me with both TOT and Maxnet for 2 years now.

Changing to Port 587 has worked for me with both TOT and Maxnet for 2 years now.

Which SMTP servers are you specifying?

I've tried all combinations of SMTP mail servers and different port numbers (587, 25 etc) and I still cant send emails through TOT.

Fortunately I've access to CAT's mail servers, there's no problems with them.

Changing to Port 587 has worked for me with both TOT and Maxnet for 2 years now.

Which SMTP servers are you specifying?

I've tried all combinations of SMTP mail servers and different port numbers (587, 25 etc) and I still cant send emails through TOT.

Fortunately I've access to CAT's mail servers, there's no problems with them.

Any further news yet on when TOT will be returning to normal?

I too am still unable to send emails via Outlook despite changing to the recommended settings.

Any further news yet on when TOT will be returning to normal?

I too am still unable to send emails via Outlook despite changing to the recommended settings.

This is probably related to the current international cable breaks that are restricting traffic in this region. I've been seeing exactly the same problem on TTT Maxnet since the cable breaks occurred. However if spammers have also been having a field day, which happens a lot on TOT and TTT, the ISPs sometimes restrict or totally block all SMTP sending while they try and sort it out.

We've been discussing the effect of the current cable breaks on this other thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=166185

+ SJ

I had to make another client run because TOT started to block port 587 and the ssl port 465 but the good news is that the TOT's smtp.totisp.net server is funtioning (for now).

In the last month TOT DNS servers had problems, changed in the DNS setting for all pc's, for OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 .