Ranong On A Shoestring

The Gentleman Scamp

Have to go to Ranong this week to zip over to Burmah on what will be my last 30 day visa run, and it will be the second time I've been there, the first being nearly three years ago.

I know there are 'group' visa run trips for bt 1,500 but after forking out for deposits and stuff I'm not really in a position to afford that luxury right now.

What is the best and cheapest way of getting to Ranong for the visa run, how much will it roughly cost and can I take my GF?

Cheers

if you are not prepared to walk it then the cheapest way would be the blue tour buses, probably not cost more than 200 baht each way.

taking the local orange buses town to town would be a lengthier but cheaper way.

if you want to double your costs then take your missus with you.

Scamp... why don't you ask around and see if anyone is going soon... you might be able to share a car etc...

Also I seem to remember seeing some business cards in some of the bars which were offering minibuses to Ranong... might be worth a try..

RE the trains... too much hassle really... you'd have to get off at Chumphon ( or Langsuan ) and then catch a bus to Ranong.... it would be a long journey.

I notice on another post you said a mate was coming up to meet you.. if your mate is coming from Phuket he could pick you up at Takua Pa ( train to ST then bus across ) if he has room - the view on the bus ride from Surat Thani to Takua Pa is fantastic... but it's a lot of travelling and hassle..

Best off with the bus if you can't find a car share ( or similar )

totster :o

I've got to do it tomorrow so probably a bit late in the day to arrange a mini bus trip, though I'll certainly look into it.

I'm not looking for the cheapest possible way, just a way that isn't too expensive so I think the AC bus is the best option.

Do I get it from the same bus station that I get the bus to Bangers from?

Halo and Tots, get in touch if you're ever nearby - DaveThailand will be in town soon and Tornado may be popping up at some point so we could have the first regional TV.Com meetup/pissup. :o

It's alright is Hua Hin other than the fact that I am nearly killed or knocked off my bike by Thai motorists every waking day.

Thai motorists - now theres a post.