Scammer On Thai Visa Classifieds

davejonesbkk

I have an item for sale in classifieds (video game console) and after about a week received this message:

Hello Seller,

I am interested in the immediate purchase of your item..I will want to know if the item is still available for sale.If it is available,can you please give me the current condition of the item and also the pics of it..I hope to hear from you soonest so that you can furnish me with whatever details I need to know and thereafter proceed with the terms of payment and delivery of the item..I hope to hear from you as soon as possible.(Name deleted)

So I replied, asked him where he was located blah blah

Hello David, Good to hear from you.I will want you to know that I want to send this item as a gift for my friends son who is based in Nigeria.Let me know the cost and also the shipping cost via fedex to Nigeria.I hope to hear from you soonest.

I had been suspicious before as his first email didn't really sound like someone who would buy a games console and now he was talking about sending it to Nigeria so I asked him how would he pay, who would send it etc.

Hello David, Thanks for your mail update.The payment will be made via Western Union Money Order where your money will be delievered to your doorstep.I have been using this medium of payment for online purchase cos it safeguard both buyers and sellers against fraud.Upon confirmation and approval of payment by western union money order via e-mail,you will send out the item and mail western union via e-mail the Tracking Number so that they can deliver the money to you. As for the shipment,I will want you to handle the shipment yourself.You are to ship out the item via FEDEX or DHL.Just let me know how much it will cost to ship out the item to Nigeria via FEDEX or DHL.You are to send it out as gift.I also need the full amount I will pay include price and shipping cost and also your full name and full contact address so that I can make payment to you.I hope to hear from you soon.

Quite obviously a scam so havent replied...but watch out when you are selling stuff!!

Edited by davejonesbkk

Payments done by Western Union Money Transfer is usually a valid and secure way to get payment for items sold online as you get the cash in your hand prior to shipping out an item.

In scams it usually used in a way so that you get a confirmation number which can be checked on the payment tracking website, but ultimately its a fake one or gets recinded.

But if you go and claim the money out at a Western Union branch in cash first before doing any shipping/delivery of item, i can not actually see how they would be able to scam you. (If there are ways i would greatly appriciate any info)

Edited by Fun2Fun

I have an item for sale in classifieds (video game console) and after about a week received this message:

Hello Seller,

I am interested in the immediate purchase of your item..I will want to know if the item is still available for sale.If it is available,can you please give me the current condition of the item and also the pics of it..I hope to hear from you soonest so that you can furnish me with whatever details I need to know and thereafter proceed with the terms of payment and delivery of the item..I hope to hear from you as soon as possible.(Name deleted)

Hello David, Good to hear from you.I will want you to know that I want to send this item as a gift for my friends son who is based in Nigeria.Let me know the cost and also the shipping cost via fedex to Nigeria.I hope to hear from you soonest.

I had been suspicious before as his first email didn't really sound like someone who would buy a games console and now he was talking about sending it to Nigeria so I asked him how would he pay, who would send it etc.

Hello David, Thanks for your mail update.The payment will be made via Western Union Money Order where your money will be delievered to your doorstep.I have been using this medium of payment for online purchase cos it safeguard both buyers and sellers against fraud.Upon confirmation and approval of payment by western union money order via e-mail,you will send out the item and mail western union via e-mail the Tracking Number so that they can deliver the money to you. As for the shipment,I will want you to handle the shipment yourself.You are to ship out the item via FEDEX or DHL.Just let me know how much it will cost to ship out the item to Nigeria via FEDEX or DHL.You are to send it out as gift.I also need the full amount I will pay include price and shipping cost and also your full name and full contact address so that I can make payment to you.I hope to hear from you soon.

Quite obviously a scam so havent replied...but watch out when you are selling stuff!!

play the game with him id say, just email back with your details, tell him on receipt of the transaction number you will go and collect the money and despatch the goods, seems harmless if he does that,.

Hello Seller,

play the game with him id say, just email back with your details, tell him on receipt of the transaction number you will go and collect the money and despatch the goods, seems harmless if he does that,.

and do not send anything in return ;-) ....... but i seriously doubt that he would ever send any money...

Upon confirmation and approval of payment by western union money order via e-mail,you will send out the item and mail western union via e-mail the Tracking Number so that they can deliver the money to you

You send the item before the payment is made. You then have a fake email as your proof of payment. Good luck waiting for you doorstep delivery of the cash.

Had exact same email sent to me when i was trying to sell something online maybe 6 months ago. sent the dude a paypal request for funds and that was the end of it, never heard back. In his email he'd use "the item" as what was being sold not what the item actually was. He probably sends 100's of emails a day saying he wants to buy "the item" for sale

Just have fun with them.. Hours of entertainment.

Basically if you dont release the good until you hold cash.. Or dont expose banking info.. Your covered 100%.

More or less what i said to do,although i gave him my (empty ) bank account details, i had one pay in 178,000 pounds into my uk bank, of course it bounced, turned out it was stolen from a company and the name altered,. i told the bank i had no ideas who it was from or what it was for,.as i was in thailand when it was deposited i had no involvement,. i emailed the guy and told him it was no good and to try again, !. i heard no more, Edited by mikethevigoman

• 2 weeks later...

I work for a successful online retailer of IT equipment and we get these kinds of requests (Frauds) every day - we always state that we 'only accept payment by telegraphic transfer in cash in advance on overseas orders', if they're a genuine buyer they will do this.

Another thing which you should be aware of and of which we have been caught out on are 'customers' electing to pay the cash straight into your bank account - the money appeared in our bank account and we dispatched the goods - the bank only told us 4 days that a cheque had been paid in which was from a stolen chequebook (it showed as cash!)- Banks are not on the ball as much as we think - this is the only time we have been 'caught' like this in 4 years of trading.

cheers

Richie

• 1 year later...

I had one the other way around, but not quite sure.

About Yorkshire terriers pups for adoption, the owner was meant to be in Kanchanaburi, however upon PM'ing him he replied that he was in Africa on Safari and had taken his pups with him, as he loved them so much, he asked question seeing about my suitability. He said about him sending the pups via Air to me, but at this point I knew something was wrong and it was a money scam.

If I was a dog lover I would not take my pets on Safari to Africa, a long trip in the airplane hold is not nice at all.

Anyhow message deleted.