The Boys In Brown

RasiMike

Here I am browsing the TV topics and what do I see out of my window not more than 15 metres away? A nice shiny new two tone vigo pull up at the gate of my wifes store. They beep the horn and 'tell' her to get them a large bottle of Regency and some soda. "Yaak baht" they ask? She tells them the price. "Baaw maan" the delightfull gentleman says and tells he wants ''lot" and "naam kaeng noi". :o

Everyday she has customers wanting a discount and everyday there is the joking and cheekiness about the subject.... Thai/Issan style leg pulling...all in fun.

One thing very different about this particular request for 'lot'. He isn't joking and she isn't her usual happy and friendly self :D . I really don't like seeing her scared of her police force, but have seen it many times now.

It makes me feel very happy that I am removing my family from here soon....very happy indeed that my children won't have to grow up thinking things like this are ok or normal.

MIke

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes me feel very happy that I am removing my family from here soon....very happy indeed that my children won't have to grow up thinking things like this are ok or normal.

I sympathise with the situation, but I'm interested to know the name of this Utopia you intend to relocate your family to?

Yep, you are not cutout to live in a developing country. It really is not for everyone, and certainly third world police rate up there as one of the major problems.

I can well remember living in a small town in the US south in early 70's, the police were not your friends there and I was terrified of what they could do to you with complete impunity back in those days. Certainly, even today, many people in many US cities view the police with a great amount of fear.

TH

Edited by thaihome

Lived here 4 years in Bangkok and never even spoken to a policeman , but can say been pulled up in Sydney a few times by police in the car , once for driving whilst on the phone, they were writing the fine before they even got to my car door and acted like it was a very very Serious crime , all countries have there good and bad police , in a way not from experience but from this forum , i read a lot where with a bit of tea money minor makes things go away quickly . so there is a plus . try offering that in Sydney .Grass is not always greener

You know last eveing about 21.00 I was passing from silom to lupini. In three minutes the officer stoped cars that seeed to do nothing wrong. He stoppd them for like 15-30 seconds. Thereis not way he could have time to written a ticket in that time. And putting his right hand in his pocket was also a give away. If a police only stops three cars in a day like that and would get 100 baht that would be around 8000 baht a month...

Here I am browsing the TV topics and what do I see out of my window not more than 15 metres away? A nice shiny new two tone vigo pull up at the gate of my wifes store. They beep the horn and 'tell' her to get them a large bottle of Regency and some soda. "Yaak baht" they ask? She tells them the price. "Baaw maan" the delightfull gentleman says and tells he wants ''lot" and "naam kaeng noi". :o

Everyday she has customers wanting a discount and everyday there is the joking and cheekiness about the subject.... Thai/Issan style leg pulling...all in fun.

One thing very different about this particular request for 'lot'. He isn't joking and she isn't her usual happy and friendly self :D . I really don't like seeing her scared of her police force, but have seen it many times now.

MIke

I don't blame you for being pissed off mate it makes my blood boil too, but what can we do. I ish you the bets of luck in bringing your family up in a country that is not a police state where ever that may be. I accept this crap by living in Thailand but i will never condone it . I hate the bullies in uniform.

Cheers, Rick

You know last eveing about 21.00 I was passing from silom to lupini. In three minutes the officer stoped cars that seeed to do nothing wrong. He stoppd them for like 15-30 seconds. There's not way he could have time to written a ticket in that time. And putting his right hand in his pocket was also a give away. If a police only stops three cars in a day like that and would get 100 baht that would be around 8000 baht a month...

I have seen them on Petchaburi Road at the Ekamai junction. Every time the traffic lights changed to red on the outgoing road they stopped 3 or 4 cars for changing lanes. Let's say that's every 5 minutes. 40+ cars an hour adds up to hel_l of a lot of money.

Also on the flyover at Asoke Road they often gang up on motorcyclists for using the flyover. What I don't understand is that in my opinion none of these acts are dangerous.

Daily I see buses driving over red lights in front of police boxes, buses driving at incredible speeds changing lanes all the time, buses stopping in the second (and occasionally third) lane to let passengers get off. All of these incidents are dangerous and happen in front of the boys in brown but nothing happens to them. When I ask my Thai friends why on earth these drivers are not stopped and fined all I seem to get is something like "bus driver have no money. Police know. Police not care"

It seems most police are only interested in making more money for themselves and nothing else.

I have seen them on Petchaburi Road at the Ekamai junction. Every time the traffic lights changed to red on the outgoing road they stopped 3 or 4 cars for changing lanes (Which is against existing law!). Let's say that's every 5 minutes. 40+ cars an hour adds up to hel_l of a lot of money.

Also on the flyover at Asoke Road they often gang up on motorcyclists for using the flyover(Which is against existing law because there is an Signboard that Motorcycle not allowed to use the Flyover!). What I don't understand is that in my opinion none of these acts are dangerous.

Daily I see buses driving over red lights in front of police boxes, buses driving at incredible speeds changing lanes all the time, buses stopping in the second (and occasionally third) lane to let passengers get off. All of these incidents are dangerous and happen in front of the boys in brown but nothing happens to them. When I ask my Thai friends why on earth these drivers are not stopped and fined all I seem to get is something like "bus driver have no money. Police know. Police not care"

It seems most police are only interested in making more money for themselves and nothing else.

What do you think if the Busses don't "cross the line"? How much that will affect the traffic? And how many times passenger cars using the Bus-Lane, wich is even not allowed?

If you do NOT drive against the rules in Bkk, the traffic will much more bad. Fortunate you just can pay a bit directly and not as in your Home Country go to the court! So, why you complain?!

Or you like really to admit that you never drive against existing law?

A little corupption has it's own advantage and save in final a lot money and time.

I like that way much more than to go the way of written law!

Cheers.

I have seen them on Petchaburi Road at the Ekamai junction. Every time the traffic lights changed to red on the outgoing road they stopped 3 or 4 cars for changing lanes (Which is against existing law!). Let's say that's every 5 minutes. 40+ cars an hour adds up to hel_l of a lot of money.

Also on the flyover at Asoke Road they often gang up on motorcyclists for using the flyover(Which is against existing law because there is an Signboard that Motorcycle not allowed to use the Flyover!). What I don't understand is that in my opinion none of these acts are dangerous.

What do you think if the Busses don't "cross the line"? How much that will affect the traffic? And how many times passenger cars using the Bus-Lane, wich is even not allowed?

If you do NOT drive against the rules in Bkk, the traffic will much more bad. Fortunate you just can pay a bit directly and not as in your Home Country go to the court! So, why you complain?!

A little corupption has it's own advantage and save in final a lot money and time.

Cheers.

Sorry but, ........what a BS!

A bit corruption leads to a lot of corruption and the general acceptance of crime!

The Thai Boys in Brown are cashing in and there's no way in the world you can not condone this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers.

Sorry but, ........what a BS!

A bit corruption leads to a lot of corruption and the general acceptance of crime!

The Thai Boys in Brown are cashing in and there's no way in the world you can not condone this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that means that you like to go for all the small "ticks" (while crossing the line of law) to the court and let it cost a lot more money and invest a lot more time as well, not to talk from the Catalogue of point's and so on!

And if you see that "line crossing" as crime, than you like to admit you never done that in Thailand?!

By the way, answer to the above mentioned post was because of Traffic Law, if you do not had realize that!

Cheers.

Acceptance of Police corruption as just the way it is, and learning to live with it is one thing. This is SE Asia.

But to actually suggest that it is a better way for a police force to operate, just because it saves fines, going to court, and time is astounding, not to mention selfish.

If the police actually enforced traffic laws, all of them, instead of taking money to turn a blind eye, it would save 1000's of lives a year, many more 1000's of injuries and maimings, not to mention the misery of their families.

But it saves you a few baht and some time. So its a better way. Unbelievable.

RasiMike - that really sucks.

i had my first semi-unpleasant run in with the police a few days ago.

i took a motorbike taxi from Ekkamai to Suk soi 11 to meet some friends. normally i'd take a taxi but was running late so i though i'd save some time. well it ended up taking longer. just after turning onto Sukhumvit we passed two police officers on a motorbike and within 300 meters they drove up along side us and flagged us over. at first i thought the driver did something wrong but the cops went straight for me and obviously didn't care about him. then i thought it might be because i wasn't wearing a helmet but that wasn't it either. they had me get of the bike and searched me and everything on me. the full pat down, had me take my shoes and socks off, grabbed my balls, everything. then they went through the contents of my pockets(a dvd i was returning to a friend, wallet, ipod, phone, address book, etc.) for about 10 minutes. they held onto my wallet longer than anything else and i was sure i'd get it back a thousand or two short but that didn't happen. they kept us standing on the side of the road for about 20 minutes total while they checked me and my stuff, never checking the motorbike driver, and making various calls over the radio. then they let us go.

i was sure it was some kind of shakedown but they didn't ask for or get any money. i don't really know what to think of the whole thing. the police were pretty nice and never intimidating but i have no idea why this happened. i've lived here 3 years and taken 100's if not 1000's of motorbike taxis with zero problems. what was it that had them single me out?

Acceptance of Police corruption as just the way it is, and learning to live with it is one thing. This is SE Asia.

But to actually suggest that it is a better way for a police force to operate, just because it saves fines, going to court, and time is astounding, not to mention selfish.

If the police actually enforced traffic laws, all of them, instead of taking money to turn a blind eye, it would save 1000's of lives a year, many more 1000's of injuries and maimings, not to mention the misery of their families.

But it saves you a few baht and some time. So its a better way. Unbelievable.

Some years ago there was an research from Land and Transport Department with the German TUV about accidents.

The result was interesting. The research was between Bangkok and Berlin, Frankfurt and Munich in Germany. It was the Director General from Land and Transport Dep., which was for longer time in Germany and was working with TUV Essen, who was ordering that Research. He was want to know in which big city more accidents happens and why!

The result: In german big City's on percentage of Vehicle and living people, was a little as nearly 80% more accidents than in Bangkok. But much more interesting than the amount of accidents was why that accidents happens: In most of the cases the german drivers was admitting that the Law is on their site and they do NOT need to avoid the accident because that the other part has to do so because he was wrong!

More than 70% of all accidents in Germany ends up on court and in more than 98% the police is involved. You driving more than 5 km/h faster as the allowed speed and you'll receive points. More than 40 km/h above: you loose your license and endup on court and, and, and.

3/4 of all court cases in germany are somewhere Traffic and/or accident related.

So now let come such regulations in use in Thailand, special in Bangkok!

Just wish: happy Driving as long as you could! Which will be for a quite short period!

I still like that bit corruption!

Cheers.

So what did they say to you kburn? Or was this a no english/no thai thing and they just gesticulated?

That sounds bizarre.

bizarre indeed.

they didn't say much and their english was limited(my Thai sucks). just "come", "id/passport","no move", then they went through my pockets and frisked me. after all that they said "okay you go".

Cheers.

Yes indeed. But we are not talking necessarily about cases that end up in court are we?

Just an example........

You prefer that motorcycle helmet laws are not enforced? 100B and on you go, a bit of tea money and all is well?

I see, and I am just casting my mind back for a rough estimate, maybe 3 to 5 riders dead in the road a year. Survivable accidents but their heads are smashed open. Blood all over the road and everybody drives around it.

This is the tip of the iceburg for your assertion that you prefer the corruption to law. I do not mean totally over the top policing where you cannot even eat an apple in your car and not get stopped for inattention, which is the way it is going in the west.

Just sensible honest policing, but you prefer corruption. What can I say?

bizarre indeed.

they didn't say much and their english was limited(my Thai sucks). just "come", "id/passport","no move", then they went through my pockets and frisked me. after all that they said "okay you go".

Ahh well. At least they were trying to do their job, as no bribery was involved. Whatever that might be :D

Just put it down to yet another experience in Thailand :o

Cheers.

Yes indeed. But we are not talking necessarily about cases that end up in court are we?

Just an example........

You prefer that motorcycle helmet laws are not enforced? 100B and on you go, a bit of tea money and all is well?

I see, and I am just casting my mind back for a rough estimate, maybe 3 to 5 riders dead in the road a year. Survivable accidents but their heads are smashed open. Blood all over the road and everybody drives around it.

This is the tip of the iceburg for your assertion that you prefer the corruption to law. I do not mean totally over the top policing where you cannot even eat an apple in your car and not get stopped for inattention, which is the way it is going in the west.

Just sensible honest policing, but you prefer corruption. What can I say?

Not Much!!

But the example Helmet is not a good one! That drivers which driving without helmet and riding their final trip, want exactly that!

I had riding big Bike for many years until 2000, had several accidents which was never my fault and never was getting it as my fault from the police. I was try at all times, even as the Law wasn't enforced, a Helmet and even Leather Clothes! And I must really say that it was the police at many time which was helping me! I never ever had problems with them and I live more than just a few years in Thailand!

But let me make something very clear: we speaking here from Traffic Law and I do not speak about any other Law, a I like that bit corruption in the Traffic Law exactly as I wrote it here again!

And the story from kburn just looks as that: A Story and that one from an Troll!

Cheers.

But the example Helmet is not a good one! That drivers which driving without helmet and riding their final trip, want exactly that!

And the story from kburn just looks as that: A Story and that one from an Troll!

Cheers.

Much snipped

So, lets be clear.

You are suggesting that the Thai motorcyclists, who set off on their journey without a helmet, want to die? So a quick 100B is OK as their last contribution to the BIB fund is fine. Hmm..ok

And kburn is a troll? Well produce your evidence for this. This seems like an everyday story whereby the True in Thailand (TIT) saying came about.

Now, as you have changed the subject, lets change it back.

Can you explain why you think that corruption in the Thai Police is acceptable? Other than saving you a few baht and some time?

bizarre indeed.

Ahh well. At least they were trying to do their job, as no bribery was involved. Whatever that might be :D

Just put it down to yet another experience in Thailand :o

yeah, that's what i'm doing. i'd just like to know why they picked me. i don't look like Tony Montana or a Khao San hippy, just a regular guy.

Edited by kburn

Cheers.

Much snipped

So, lets be clear.

You are suggesting that the Thai motorcyclists, who set off on their journey without a helmet, want to die? So a quick 100B is OK as their last contribution to the BIB fund is fine. Hmm..ok

And kburn is a troll? Well produce your evidence for this. This seems like an everyday story whereby the True in Thailand (TIT) saying came about.

Now, as you have changed the subject, lets change it back.

Can you explain why you think that corruption in the Thai Police is acceptable? Other than saving you a few baht and some time?

yorkman:

you'll get my answer in the morning because I go to sleep now.

But one thing: Not try to turn what I wrote. And if you need I can let translate all what I wrote in juristic english from an UK Barrister. I do NOT was getting personell and better do NOT go that way, which you started already! Stop on that way and be serious from now on.

Again tomorrow morning you get my answer in very clear words.

Cheers and night.

yorkman:

you'll get my answer in the morning because I go to sleep now.

But one thing: Not try to turn what I wrote. And if you need I can let translate all what I wrote in juristic english from an UK Barrister. I do NOT was getting personell and better do NOT go that way, which you started already! Stop on that way and be serious from now on.

Again tomorrow morning you get my answer in very clear words.

Cheers and night.

Goodnight Reimar, sleep well. The innocent do sleep well and deeply.

You may want to check, after your alarm, which side you get out of the bed. I prefer the left but "up to you" as is commonly said in Thailand.

I can understand that I maybe "better do NOT go that way". You are a mod now. OK. A wave of the forefinger or an arm raised.

But still, can you justify why you think a corrupt Police force is better? I have asked several times why you think this but there is still no clear answer apart from you save a few baht and your time.

I am very serious. Your view is appreciated :o

Lived here 4 years in Bangkok and never even spoken to a policeman , but can say been pulled up in Sydney a few times by police in the car , once for driving whilst on the phone, they were writing the fine before they even got to my car door and acted like it was a very very Serious crime , all countries have there good and bad police , in a way not from experience but from this forum , i read a lot where with a bit of tea money minor makes things go away quickly . so there is a plus . try offering that in Sydney .Grass is not always greener

Considering the accident rate while using a hand held phone and driving while drunk have a lot in common, it is serious. Don't be so darn cheap and get a bluetooth or something to keep your hands free.

yorkman:

This is the answer I was promissing and I wrote before I was reading your FRIENDLY wishes for the night. About that post, I've send an PM to you!

But here the answer:

I haven't suggested that they want to die but that they know the risk and accept the outcome if they do not using an helmet otherwise they would use and try an helmet.

There is NOT any evidence that the story is true and as long as that is so, that story is a one of an troll! May the Thai police would do many things but what he wrote will never be happen on the middle of some stepwalk on an busy road as the he wrote. I was really wonder why he even NOT wrote that he has to take off ALL clothes and has to stand naked for that 20 minutes!

I was clearly writing that that applies for ME! What others include you thinking, I don't mind.And I also wrote that I like this little corruption of the police in the Traffic law and that's all. It is my own choice to choose the best way for ME to "clear" fast and easy if I'm stopped. If YOU like to go to the court most of the time, go ahead, that is YOUR choice!

That's my short answers to your questions and the last as well because I will not reply the same things again! If you unable to understand my writing, feel free to send an PM to but please keep you misunderstanding out of the forum.

Cheers.

Last year I drove around 15,000 kms. I was pulled over twice for legitimate reasons, once for not keeping in the left hand lane and once for speeding about 20km above the limit.

Both times I handed over 100 baht tea money and was on my way.

Both times I have been invited to pay 200 baht and get a receipt if i wanted to go to the police station

In Australia this would have set me back around $1000.00 and a bucket load of demerit points, plus the nazi attitude of the traffic cop.

I know where I prefer to be "stung"

They are paid crap wages and personally I dont mind this minor corruption , or "cooperation" as some politicians used to call it.

Khun Andy

So what did they say to you kburn? Or was this a no english/no thai thing and they just gesticulated?

That sounds bizarre.

bizarre indeed.

dana white has provided the thai police force equipment to prevent the illegal download and sharing of UFC PPV events. they have your personal information now, expect a visit from the shart master himself.