Jewish Group Forming In Chiangmai

Larry

We are trying to start a group of mostly English-speaking Jews in Chiangmai, to meet for certain shabbat dinners and holidays, discussions, social events, etc. Mixed couples and families are welcome, as well. We are have our first meeting on Sunday Feb. 3 at 1 pm to get to know each other and discuss what we want to do. The meeting will be at our house, in Moo Ban, Nantawan, directly across Nimmanhaemin from the parking lot of the Amari Rincome Hotel. The address is 4/70. You go past the gatehouse, and straight ahead. We are about the fifth house on the right side of the street....and the only one with a Sala.

Refreshments will be served.

WELCOME

Larry - Good luck with your group meetings. Would decent minded non-Jewish people be able to attend too?

EDIT: I have just cleaned up this thread and hidden various off topic discussions.

Be warned. If any member makes any further intolerant or blatantly nasty posts, they will lose posting rights on Thai Visa.

I call your attention to the Forum Rules:

1) You will not use thaivisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, ...SNIP... threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

2) ...SNIP... Excessive, aggressive posts against other members, moderators and admin; or flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is best defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, rants, and/or for launching personal attacks, insulting, being hateful, useless criticism, name calling, swearing and other bad behavior or comments meant to incite anger.

Do not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or any attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants. The word, or its derivative, "trolling", is used to describe such messages or the act of posting them.

3) Religious or racial slurs, rude and degrading comments ...SNIP....

Etcetera.

Would decent minded non-Jewish people be able to attend too?

Those words certainly decribe p1p. Intelligent and interesting are two more. :o

Here here!

I am not Jewish but I like to be informed and thus try to inform others properly. Can you advise? A few years ago I was told that there was a Synagogue, open perhaps once per month, somewhere close to The Whole Earth restaurant. Is this still the case?

Larry - Good luck with your group meetings. Would decent minded non-Jewish people be able to attend too?

EDIT: I have just cleaned up this thread and hidden various off topic discussions.

Be warned. If any member makes any further intolerant or blatantly nasty posts, they will lose posting rights on Thai Visa.

I call your attention to the Forum Rules:

1) You will not use thaivisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, ...SNIP... threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

2) ...SNIP... Excessive, aggressive posts against other members, moderators and admin; or flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is best defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, rants, and/or for launching personal attacks, insulting, being hateful, useless criticism, name calling, swearing and other bad behavior or comments meant to incite anger.

Do not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or any attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants. The word, or its derivative, "trolling", is used to describe such messages or the act of posting them.

3) Religious or racial slurs, rude and degrading comments ...SNIP....

Etcetera.

With all that snipping it sounds like the Mohel will be busy performing the Bris Mila

:o:D:D

Edited by khunandy

What a lot of responses.

Let me address some questions.

1. The synagogue on Chang Klan Road (previously located near the Whole Earth Restaurant) is the Chabad House. They especially cater to young Israeli backbackers and do a great job. The only problem is that English speakers and those in mixed relationships sometimes feel out of place.

2. Any interested non-Jews are certainly welcome. Judaism is not a missonizing religion in any way, shape or form, but there is nothing secret either.

3. Shabbat is Hebrew for the Jewish Sabbath. Friday night, we usually have a nice dinner together, with special foods, a brief ceremony, some singing and discussion and lots of socializing.

4. Ive never heard of any Jewish groups in Pattaya, etc., but I will not discount the possibility. There are Chabad Houses in Bangkok, Phuket, Ko Samui, Chiangmai and even Luang Prabang (Laos), and shabbat dinner is available free of charge and without reservations.

All the best

Larry

I am closing this thread because it has achieved its purpose that was to alert people to the existence of a Jewish group in CM.

Anyone who is interested in attending or finding out more about Jewish culture and religion should send a PM to Larry

thanks

CB

Moderating Team

Thai Visa