Please Help With My Insecurity

BartSimpson123

it is weird/depressing to me that i live in a country were farang do the following:

brag about the fact that their wife is a 'good girl' or get thrilled that their wife has an education

it is strange to me because in the west we would take these things for granted. i have never seen a friend back home hold his chin up high and tell me that his girl friend has a college degree yet it seems that farang have such a low status in thailand that it is so hard for them to date a woman with an education that marrying one is like hitting the lottery?

is that the sad state of status and type of farang that live in thailand?

i say 'my insecurity' because i live in this country and I know for a fact that all of us are lumped together. each time they see one of you doing something self depreciating, i lose points.

i dont know what to do about this. if i say to you guys "please dont do this this or that" you will just curse me out and act the way you want to act. so what are the options? its like we are stuck together and now every time i leave the house i am embarrassed at what i might see you doing.

the worst is when a thai people are all starring at a farang, perhaps parading around with his temporary girl friend for the night, they look at him and then they look at you, standing their innocently and you KNOW exactly what they are thinking.

it is weird/depressing to me that i live in a country were farang do the following:

brag about the fact that their wife is a 'good girl' or get thrilled that their wife has an education

it is strange to me because in the west we would take these things for granted. i have never seen a friend back home hold his chin up high and tell me that his girl friend has a college degree yet it seems that farang have such a low status in thailand that it is so hard for them to date a woman with an education that marrying one is like hitting the lottery?

i say 'my insecurity' because i live in this country and I know for a fact that all of us are lumped together. each time they see one of you doing something self depreciating, i lose points.

i dont know what to do about this. if i say to you guys "please dont do this this or that" you will just curse me out and act the way you want to act. so what are the options? its like we are stuck together and now every time i leave the house i am embarrassed at what i might see you doing.

the worst is when a thai people are all starring at a farang, perhaps parading around with his temporary girl friend for the night, they look at him and then they look at you, standing their innocently and you KNOW exactly what they are thinking.

Well my opinion is i think you are talking about a certain type of woman and a certain type of man? ,.i look at it like this, generally these people thinking like this are not my friends, i dont want them for friends and there opinions are about as much interest to me as jehovas witnesses ,.your topic will be called a troll i fear,.

<br />Don't know Bart. I've never met anybody who claimed he married a "good girl". Even if they did I couldn't care less. <br />How would you classify a good girl? Somebody who gives it away for free?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

i put "good girl" into the thai visa search and about a million results came up

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...%5Cgood+girl%5C

<br />Don't know Bart. I've never met anybody who claimed he married a "good girl". Even if they did I couldn't care less. <br />How would you classify a good girl? Somebody who gives it away for free?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

i put "good girl" into the thai visa search and about a million results came up

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...%5Cgood+girl%5C

i have a ex friend that does use that expression, hes 62 and she is 22,. when i hear him say it it makes me cringe,. its like hes talking about a dog, when in fact he is talking about her not having worked the bar ( as far as he knows ) ,however he is allowed to go out and go short time with as many women as he wants, total hypacrit, and as i said earlier i have no interest in these types, hes only been to pattaya and will tell you all about thai women and there faults !, no wonder so many farang get duped/dumped,.

tonight i saw a middle aged farang wearing shorts and a button down t shirt opened half way to his beer belly. he had two amulets around his neck. his face was red and discolored but i guess he cant control that but it might be from a drinking or drug problem. anyways he gets on the sky train with a thai girl and she has on a tank top and some tight jeans and she starts rubbing his belly like the pillsbury doughboy then he starts giving me these nods like 'oh yeah oh yeah'. the whole time he is going back and forth from nodding at me, to starring at a university girl to rubbing the shoulder of his companion.

the entire skytrain kept looking at me like they wanted an explanation. i had none for them. what can i say? i am the type of guy who does not leave the house with less than 300k baht worth of clothing and accessories on his person and dates a dentist. but that is the problem, they kept looking at me like me and this guy were the same: farang.

jesus i am livid right now.

tonight i saw a middle aged farang wearing shorts and a button down t shirt opened half way to his beer belly. he had two amulets around his neck. his face was red and discolored but i guess he cant control that but it might be from a drinking or drug problem. anyways he gets on the sky train with a thai girl and she has on a tank top and some tight jeans and she starts rubbing his belly like the pillsbury doughboy then he starts giving me these nods like 'oh yeah oh yeah'. the whole time he is going back and forth from nodding at me, to starring at a university girl to rubbing the shoulder of his companion.

the entire skytrain kept looking at me like they wanted an explanation. i had none for them. what can i say? i am the type of guy who does not leave the house with less than 300k baht worth of clothing and accessories on his person and dates a dentist. but that is the problem, they kept looking at me like me and this guy were the same: farang.

I do know how you feel, i was in the bank a brit was shouting and balling about why was his money taking so long to arrive in thailand ! ,.complete tw@t, and i was next in the Q ,! like you i felt i should have apolagised for him,. as a species !

what can i say? i am the type of guy who does not leave the house with less than 300k baht worth of clothing and accessories on his person and dates a dentist. but that is the problem, they kept looking at me like me and this guy were the same: farang.

You should've smiled mate. Dating a dentist you can't go wrong :o

the entire skytrain kept looking at me like they wanted an explanation.

Maybe you should of just looked right back at them, shrugged your shoulders and given them one: mai bpen rai.

:o:D

been in thailand long mate ? sounds like "fresh off the boat" talk to me .

wait till you've been here continuously 10 ,15, 20 years and you'll find that you simply don't care about petty crap like this.

Sometimes in the shopping mall my wife will wander off to look at her favorite things. I do feel odd sometimes when I walk around with our 18 year old nanny and my son; we get the strangest looks from farang who just got off the boat. I do not feel that odd about Thai people because they can probably read that I'm with the nanny or they just don't care.

I must admit that it is a bit strange that some westerners, that I meet for the first time, within a couple so sentences will automatically begin explaining how there Thai gf isn't a bg, is of Chinese decent, or comes from a good family. It isn't my business and I find it embarassing and a bit degrading for the woman when they say this. If their partner wasn't Thai, I doubt that they would be so quick to try and prove her 'good girl' status.

If I was in the position of seeing something like the OP describes on the skytrain I would also ignore it. I am not related to every westerner I see so don't need to worry about what they do. I'm not a busybody. I have a life and try and get on with my own. There are probably enough western 'curtain-twitchers' in Thailand already who look for the bad in people and spend their time consumed by it.

While the OP may think that the behavior of the other westerners reflects badly on him, he should also be aware that focusing on the perceived faults of others isn't a particularly endearing quality either.

.... what can i say? i am the type of guy who does not leave the house with less than 300k baht worth of clothing and accessories on his person and dates a dentist....

Thaivisa is waiting for you................. :o dress up and hurry...

post-13995-1201912281_thumb.jpg

LaoPo

Sometimes in the shopping mall my wife will wander off to look at her favorite things. I do feel odd sometimes when I walk around with our 18 year old nanny and my son;

Simple Sunrise, just have a T-shirt printed for your Nanny and let her wear it when she's with you guys, shopping and babysitting..she'll probably love the shirt:

post-13995-1201912766_thumb.jpg :o

LaoPo

i am the type of guy who does not leave the house with less than 300k baht worth of clothing and accessories on his person and dates a dentist. but that is the problem, they kept looking at me like me and this guy were the same: farang.

those who were looking at you were thinking "poor farang wearing cheap accessories... most probably dating a dentist for free root canals."