Configuration Settings For P2p With Cable Modem

meadish_sweetball

Hi networking gurus,

Just got a cable modem installed and tried to use DC++ for file sharing. It does not seem to work though. I read the instructions in the help file, so I specified my IP address in DC ++ and configured my firewall software to only use one particular port for in and outgoing traffic, but the search feature in DC++ still does not work. Am I doing something wrong or am I being blocked by True somehow? I have deactivated XP's firewall and only use that of my antivirus software. No conditions in my agreement mention using p2p. Any thoughts on what to do to solve this?

TIA,

Meadish

Hello Meadish,

I guess you already look at http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/faq/faq....en&onlynewfaq=1

Did you install Windows XP SP2?

With kind regards,

Richard

Thanks for the tip Richard. I did already check that page out. I only have a cable modem here, no router, so I guess I cannot set anything up according to that scheme... But I am new at all this network stuff, so I am very open to suggestions from everyone.

Is there a basic course available online, that I could read to understand how this works?

I have not installed SP 2. Is there any point to doing so, and if so, what? I don't really have any problems with XP as it is now.

Hello Meadish,

I guess you already look at http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/faq/faq....en&onlynewfaq=1

Did you install Windows XP SP2?

With kind regards,

Richard

Thanks for the tip Richard. I did already check that page out. I only have a cable modem here, no router, so I guess I cannot set anything up according to that scheme... But I am new at all this network stuff, so I am very open to suggestions from everyone.

Is there a basic course available online, that I could read to understand how this works?

I have not installed SP 2. Is there any point to doing so, and if so, what? I don't really have any problems with XP as it is now.

there is no point in installing sp2 at this time - stay away from it for another 3 months at least. then they will have hopefully fixed some of the many problems.

as to your issue, i do not use dc++ myself so i do not know what ports it is using but have you considered that your provider does block the ports used for some reason? slim chance but i saw it happen with other applications.

also, try to install some sort of packet sniffer and see what happens on your ethernet port when you try to open a connection with dc++ - it might tell you what the problem is. (i take it is an motorola modem that connects to teh HFC on one side and has an Ethernet port for the connection to your computer?)

then also check if you have option in dc++ to use an proxy server and try that as well - your provider will most certainly have one and if not try one of these here:

http://www.publicproxyservers.com

good luck

cheers

thanks for the tip on the cable, as they won't hook up adsl for me here in pathum thani,

i went to the true office in zeer rangsit, and they didn't mention this to me or my girlfriend  last week.

It could be that you are not in an area where it is feasible for True to set up a cable connection for you. The system is by no means nationwide. I am in central CM.

Thank you for the tips shellman. I will now read up on what a packet sniffer is and does.

The modem is a Taiwanese no-brand cable modem. There is a sticker on it that says "TA CABLE MODEM - by Asia Multimedia". You are right about the connections though.

I use DC++, and I am behind a standalone ADSL router Linksys WAG54G, that has a built in FW, also using on my machine F-protects Client Security ar antivirus and firewall, also have XP's FW activated.

The only way for me to utilise DC++ is in Passive mode. Ok you might not be able to do the full searches on all the hubs that you get connected to. But you will be able to DL files and search.

My average hourly DL is between 200-400mb, I downloaded 64gb of movies/music during September allready. :o

PM me if you need more help. Svenska går bra.

Btw, The Original "Kalle Sändare" was an old geeser who made pranks and aired(radio) them in sweden a long time ago. I just like the name and the pranks he made. Me I'm only 32 started with computers when I was 14. :D

hi'

well, have to consider that ICS and FS are 2 different thing ...

ICS (internet connection sharing is pretty easy to configure, DHCP on both side, with alternate configuration on both sides.

FS (files sharing) has to be done with a software, windows do it with open ports (dangerous), so configure yours as FS only, and give an IP to the server and one to the client, range in 192.162.0.1 to 192.168.0.254.

if give the server IP as an alternate configuration 192.168.0.1 and the client 192.168.0.2,

you should give the same for the software for FS.

respect this, if not, you'll have problem of security for open ports ...

hope that it helps :o

cheers

francois

ps; I use wingate ... may be not the best, but working nice :D

this is when the win machine is server, when the Linux machine is server, it's all a different story, and a lot easier ... just have to play with samba :D