What Jobs Do Most Farangs Do In Thailand Other Than Retire, Run A Business, Or Teach English?

I'd add that willingness to start near the bottom and work up is here

I second that one. I know several folks (myself included) that found success through taking a relatively low paying job to begin with and working one's way up to eventually make the leap over to expat level salaries. A mistake I saw a lot of people make is not taking the work seriously because they pay was low- no matter how crap the job is if one puts in an effort you can make great contacts and begin developing a good reputation.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another point, avoid like Plague to work for as free lance for people located in Thailand. It's illegal, and mostly it end without the payment (as you can not sue because the work was illegal ....). On the other hand, there are many good companies still looking for the right person out there.

Illegal in the same way as working for anyone (located in Thailand or not) for instance !!!

not really and not necessary, at least in my case. Well I do agree the law is quite complex and it's better to have a legal advice BEFORE to start that kind of work, but yes there is room for free lance work (mean not working for a particular firm) for someone living in Thailand.

I tried to explain a bit more, but it'ssimply quite complex, my english being too broken to use the correct wording, and I could simply confuse other people. Legal advice is trully needed if someone wnat to try to do telecommuting (I suppose that is the word for that).

Last point, I do declare income from abroad and do pay taxes on them.

Another point, avoid like Plague to work for as free lance for people located in Thailand. It's illegal, and mostly it end without the payment (as you can not sue because the work was illegal ....). On the other hand, there are many good companies still looking for the right person out there.

Illegal in the same way as working for anyone (located in Thailand or not) for instance !!!

not really and not necessary, at least in my case. Well I do agree the law is quite complex and it's better to have a legal advice BEFORE to start that kind of work, but yes there is room for free lance work (mean not working for a particular firm) for someone living in Thailand.

I tried to explain a bit more, but it'ssimply quite complex, my english being too broken to use the correct wording, and I could simply confuse other people. Legal advice is trully needed if someone wnat to try to do telecommuting (I suppose that is the word for that).

Last point, I do declare income from abroad and do pay taxes on them.

Apart from those on a media visa.. I know of no way you can legalize yourself (have a work permit.. 100% requirement) without either a sponser company or making your own company to sponser you.. And if thats the case then its not freelance its employee.

Thailand doesnt have a system for freelance that I know of.

HI

A lot of Farangs living here work offshore and in Oil & Gas, so easy no tax, TH dont want tax, my home country dont want my tax, what can i do

You cant have a work permit then.

Why would someone who doesnt work inside of Thailand, have a work permit ??

Oil on rotation is what about 50+ % of my mates do. Many geting really good money now, most 1m baht per month. Its not an easy life but it does give plenty of downtime, and a good income.

HI

A lot of Farangs living here work offshore and in Oil & Gas, so easy no tax, TH dont want tax, my home country dont want my tax, what can i do

Hi

I dont need a WP, i work offshore, away from everything even tax

HI

Oil on rotation is what about 50+ % of my mates do. Many geting really good money now, most 1m baht per month. Its not an easy life but it does give plenty of downtime, and a good income.

HI

You are so right, work about 6 months a year, and money wise nearly spot on, could be a lot worse, could be paying tax.

HI

HI

You are so right, work about 6 months a year, and money wise nearly spot on, could be a lot worse, could be paying tax.

Harley you make a mill a month? I know quite many and from about 20 maybe 1 hits a mill while the rest roughly half.

Many of may mates are lifers so yes they are all on 600 - 900 USD per day.. Thats ROV pilots and techs.. directional drilling.. All kinds of stuff. My ex housemate just upped his salary by almost 50% last year changing contracts. Hes now salaried at 70k GBP per annum tax free and maintains a full salary even if he misses a rotation !!

Other guys I know got into LST work.. Even on thier first tips out they were 250 - 300 USD per day and now a year in the trade one is doing another course out of his pocket that will put him around 700 - 800k baht per month.. Hes been working offshore for just a year or two and (lord bless him hes a good mate) isnt exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Energy prices are at highs, and theres more work than people at the moment. Also noticed lots of job changing and renego contracts in the last year (and companies trying to lock employees into longer contracts).

Edited by LivinLOS

LOL Was it that obvious.. I love the big daft lump.. Hes one of those really great souls who will do anything for a mate.. But yeah :o

Was thinking when I read your tattoo post.. Being in the oil game.. We must know the same people if not each other.

• 2 weeks later...

where is the best place to apply for a offshore oil job?

i have not done it before, but it would be a good way to enjoy sea few months of the year.

there are many websites on the net with information, but they seem like scams mostly.

do you have some good adress or contact to find a job in this field?

• 4 months later...
You don't need one as it's usually classed as being outside territorial waters.

When it comes to oil and gas it's a law unto itself :o

If you are working Oil and Gas in the gulf of Thailand, you need a work permit.

In addtion, you have to pay tax. Most places in the world will invoke tax on someone working in

that country...

I guess, some people are commenting they dont pay tax...this is not strictly true.

Usually the company pays the tax for them if working in a country with income tax.

If working the middle East in a country which

is tax free and living in Thailand, yes can get away with paying tax

• 2 weeks later...
HI

Hi

I dont need a WP, i work offshore, away from everything even tax

Yes.... but bet you are not working offshore in the gulf of Thailand, cos if you do, you need a work permit and pay tax...

where is the best place to apply for a offshore oil job?

i have not done it before, but it would be a good way to enjoy sea few months of the year.

there are many websites on the net with information, but they seem like scams mostly.

do you have some good adress or contact to find a job in this field?

There are quite a few websites that are scams...if they ask for money its a scam.

seeing as it appears you have no experience/related qualifications, you basically have no chance, unless you know someone who can pull strings for you

Hi I'm new to forum and would like to direct a question towards HDrider or anyone else that can give me insight to the oil field employment in Thailand. Currently residing in the states and hold an unlimited HP license in steam, diesel, and gas turbine. I typically sail as an engineering officer position aboard US flagged vessels and have experience with 850psi steam systems, HV diesel electric propulsion plants, and some slow speed diesel experience. I am relatively young and am open to learning about new innovations in the industry. The wages that I make back in the states are great, however I'm ready for change and am looking to start a new life out there. I am college educated, single willing to travel, understand life out at sea for months on end, and can speak and understand thai on a conversational level.

My concerns are that with my qualifications how likely would it be to find work out there and not take too hard of a hit on the wages, would consider at least 70k usd equivalent tax free working 8 months max.

Position that I know I am qualified for are that of 3rd engineer, 2nd engineer, or with some extra training electrical officer. Do the oil fields out in Thailand honor the USCG issued mariner's license?

Also I am concerned that the biggest pitfall that I may have that is working against me is that I am half thai and look the look of being predominately thai. I've already done a few searches and have read accounts on the fact that companies are reluctant to hire asian farangs, regardless of qualifications, just on the merit that they aren't Caucasian. Is there any truth to this in the oil field industry.

Any insight on who to contact and personal experience with the transition to working out there would be great.

Edited by Tungsten

Hi I'm new to forum and would like to direct a question towards HDrider or anyone else that can give me insight to the oil field employment in Thailand. Currently residing in the states and hold an unlimited HP license in steam, diesel, and gas turbine. I typically sail as an engineering officer position aboard US flagged vessels and have experience with 850psi steam systems, HV diesel electric propulsion plants, and some slow speed diesel experience. I am relatively young and am open to learning about new innovations in the industry. The wages that I make back in the states are great, however I'm ready for change and am looking to start a new life out there. I am college educated, single willing to travel, understand life out at sea for months on end, and can speak and understand thai on a conversational level.

My concerns are that with my qualifications how likely would it be to find work out there and not take too hard of a hit on the wages, would consider at least 70k usd equivalent tax free working 8 months max.

Position that I know I am qualified for are that of 3rd engineer, 2nd engineer, or with some extra training electrical officer. Do the oil fields out in Thailand honor the USCG issued mariner's license?

Also I am concerned that the biggest pitfall that I may have that is working against me is that I am half thai and look the look of being predominately thai. I've already done a few searches and have read accounts on the fact that companies are reluctant to hire asian farangs, regardless of qualifications, just on the merit that they aren't Caucasian. Is there any truth to this in the oil field industry.

Any insight on who to contact and personal experience with the transition to working out there would be great.

Tungsten....

You are in a bit of a catch 22 situation....companies I know of in the O&G game (I work offshore Thailand) have no problems hiring asian farangs, but seeing as you are half Thai, they will want to pay you a Thai salary...not an expat one...so you have to make a decision...go with your Thai nationality, no issues with a W/P etc....but expect to be paid a Thai salary...or go the "farang" route with all the issues involved...work permits etc...but based on your resume above, highly unlikely you will get employment...the vast majority of marine crews in the GOT are Thai, Indonesian or Malaysian to quote you "would consider at least 70k usd "....No chance...To get a break in the O&G in Thailand as a Farang, you need to know somebody who can pull the strings for you....

Not trying to p*ss on your plans...just trying to give you the reality of how things operate in the GOT

Tungsten....

You are in a bit of a catch 22 situation....companies I know of in the O&G game (I work offshore Thailand) have no problems hiring asian farangs, but seeing as you are half Thai, they will want to pay you a Thai salary...not an expat one...so you have to make a decision...go with your Thai nationality, no issues with a W/P etc....but expect to be paid a Thai salary...or go the "farang" route with all the issues involved...work permits etc...but based on your resume above, highly unlikely you will get employment...the vast majority of marine crews in the GOT are Thai, Indonesian or Malaysian to quote you "would consider at least 70k usd "....No chance...To get a break in the O&G in Thailand as a Farang, you need to know somebody who can pull the strings for you....

Not trying to p*ss on your plans...just trying to give you the reality of how things operate in the GOT

Thanks for the reply, wish that I was able to hold a dual nationality however I already the 2nd generation asian american and last I checked it would be dam_n near immposible to get my thai citizenship due to the fact that the grandparents had cut their ties (no pun) with their mother country when they immigrated here.

Could you give me some more info on the qualifications needed out there to work in the GOT. In the past I've turned down offers with global sana fe and transocean to work as the positions that I've stated above. Don't know if I burned my bridges by doing so on a few accounts, however the deal was that I would be hired on a US salary and would have worked on the drill ships or MODU's in brazil or in the Gulf of Mexico, I didn't inquire about their other locations at the time.

Can you tell me which companies are out there in the GOT? I'm interested in knowing RIG owners, operators, and and flag of registry on a few of the big names that are doing business out there. May also consider Tech position if any of these vendors, (eg B&W Man, Alstom, GE, Westfallia, MAK, Alfa Laval, ABB, Spearry, limitorque) that have a service offices located in Thailand. I appreciate any info that you could give me.

Also a note off subject, if I did work there and had to go the WP route would anyone know the magic number of days that I have to be off US soil to avoid paying the US FED income tax?

Tungsten....

Thanks for the reply, wish that I was able to hold a dual nationality however I already the 2nd generation asian american and last I checked it would be dam_n near immposible to get my thai citizenship due to the fact that the grandparents had cut their ties (no pun) with their mother country when they immigrated here.

Could you give me some more info on the qualifications needed out there to work in the GOT. In the past I've turned down offers with global sana fe and transocean to work as the positions that I've stated above. Don't know if I burned my bridges by doing so on a few accounts, however the deal was that I would be hired on a US salary and would have worked on the drill ships or MODU's in brazil or in the Gulf of Mexico, I didn't inquire about their other locations at the time.

Can you tell me which companies are out there in the GOT? I'm interested in knowing RIG owners, operators, and and flag of registry on a few of the big names that are doing business out there. May also consider Tech position if any of these vendors, (eg B&W Man, Alstom, GE, Westfallia, MAK, Alfa Laval, ABB, Spearry, limitorque) that have a service offices located in Thailand. I appreciate any info that you could give me.

Also a note off subject, if I did work there and had to go the WP route would anyone know the magic number of days that I have to be off US soil to avoid paying the US FED income tax?

The two companies you mention above operate in GOT, but working for them believe, you dont get much of a choice of where you will be posted, so dont think you would get on with them with the provision you would be sent to Thailand anyway.

As regards marine vessels etc all the usual suspects are involved here, Tidewater, BritOil, SBM, Tanker Pacific, Modec etc....

The only thing I could do for you is send you a list of companies that do manpower recruitment for the O&G and other industries in Thailand and send a CV to them, see where it gets you.....seeing as you would intend coming to Thailand as an expat, dont hold your breath too long, unless you know someone who can pull strings for you.

At the end of the day, if you want to get involved in the offshore game on rotation, it doesnt really matter where you do it, as offshore is offshore, irrespective of where you are in the world, know plenty of guys who work Angola, Nigeria etc etc and live in Thailand.

As regards the other companies mentioned with service offices in Thailand, if you are applying from outside Thailand chances are they will not even look at your CV for Thailand, one of the issues is whether a company is prepared to go through the WP, in other words they need to "justify" to the Thai authorities the issue to your W/P, ie there are costs and agravation involved, if they can find a local Thai to do the same work, they will not bother even looking at an expat because its less hassle and less money to pay...

As regards your tax, would have to talk to someone in the know who is from the US, I am not only know the tax implications in the UK.

The best thing is to go to work for one of the major offshore service or construction companies and just go where they send you. The worst thing to do is try to get a job as expat and say you want to work in Thailand. That is like a red flag for most companies and they will use it to put you on local payroll at a much smaller rate and benefits. As many hundreds others do, when you get you rotation off the vessel, you head for Thailand from wherever you are.

Some other companies operating vessels in the GOT and all over the world are Saipem, Global, McDermott, Hyundai, and Nippon.

As a US citizen you are required to report all income regardless of where earned or how long you are out of the country. Once you are out for a year, you can exclude 85K (or so) of foreign earned income. You also get a tax credit for foreign tax paid on amounts above the exclusion.

Good luck, now is certainly the time to make the move, the industry is desperate for qualified people.

TH

Again thanks for all of the info, I guess I'll burry the O&G industry hatchet with this post. So to sum it up it wouldn't be in my best interest to ruin a good thing I have going at home to risk starting over in thailand. I guess come october I'll sign the dotted line to extend my contract for another year, bank up some vacation and benefits, and head out to test the waters in the GOT, but with low expectations. I'm green with envy for the guys that have made it in the GOT, best of wishes and hope the ride never ends.

In the mean time I'll continue to poke around this forum to get the ball rolling on my expat status, (mail forwarding, nevada driver's license, HK bank account etc...).

• 8 months later...
I know of at least six, including myself, in the media/publishing industry.

Hey andy1308, I was wondering if you had any advice for me, Im interested in work in the media industry.

I live in Ireland and work in a print company as a designer. I would love to move over but am told that I wont find much in the lines of work.

As a man in the industry, do you see any hope for me?

Hey andy1308, I was wondering if you had any advice for me, Im interested in work in the media industry.

I live in Ireland and work in a print company as a designer. I would love to move over but am told that I wont find much in the lines of work.

Don't know if this your kind of thing Red, but I was reading The Nation headlines and it happened to scroll by:

http://www.nationejobs.com/fulltime/displa...t=&bpage=24

Don't know if this your kind of thing Red, but I was reading The Nation headlines and it happened to scroll by:

http://www.nationejobs.com/fulltime/displa...t=&bpage=24

Holy crap, its great to see there is a glimmer of hope, that job is just like what I am looking for. Ill check it out!

just curious and looking for some inspiration (not related to retiring, running a business, or teaching english :D ) and knowledge that could help me or friends looking to come over to thailand in the future. what can a farang do to make money in thailand?

Oil and Gas work outside of Thailand, then living the adventuring dream in Thailand :o

The trick is to make your fortune outside of Thailand then bring it here to trickle spend.

Too many guys I know out here end up near-basket cases trying to make money here. They spend a fortune and get all bitter and negative as sht doesn't turn out the way they expected.