Windows Uses 20% Of Your Bandwidth! Get It Back

Thetyim

Windows uses 20% of your bandwidth! Get it back

A nice little tweak for XP. Microsoft reserve 20% of your available bandwidth for their own purposes (suspect for updates and interrogating your machine etc..)

Here's how to get it back:

Click Start-->Run-->type "gpedit.msc" without the "

This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:

Local Computer Policy-->Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Network-->QOS Packet Scheduler-->Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab :

"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.

works on XP Pro, and 2000

not completely correct Thetyim. It has nothing to do with internet speeds but rather QOs is a system to give preference to certain type of ip packets (like voip).

See article below

Q: What is QoS Packet Scheduler? (#3688)

A: Note. This only effects LAN traffic and not Internet access speeds. Also, in order for this to work, QoS Packet Scheduler must be supported on both sides of the connection.

QoS Packet Scheduler is a method of network bandwidth management that can monitor the importance of data packets and depending upon the priority of the packet, give it higher or lower priority or bandwidth levels.

Normally, if your system's LAN cards don't support QoS Packet Scheduling, you don't have to worry about it.

But, if you want to disable it, you can change it by doing the following. Note, this is not available in Windows XP Home Edition.

Start Menu --> Run --> gpedit.msc

Expand Administrative Templates under Computer Configuration

Expand Network

Click QoS Packet Scheduler

You will find an entry in QoS Packet Scheduler called "Limit Reservable Bandwidth". Double-click it, enable it, and set it to 0%.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/3688

Hi Darknight,

You say I am not completely correct.

If you check speed before and after it will show a good increase.

I do not pretend to understand half of what goes on inside my computer, so can you tell me if you think this is a worthwhile tweak as it actually appears to be improving my internet speed.

not completely correct Thetyim. It has nothing to do with internet speeds but rather QOs is a system to give preference to certain type of ip packets (like voip).

See article below

Q: What is QoS Packet Scheduler? (#3688)

A: Note. This only effects LAN traffic and not Internet access speeds. Also, in order for this to work, QoS Packet Scheduler must be supported on both sides of the connection.

QoS Packet Scheduler is a method of network bandwidth management that can monitor the importance of data packets and depending upon the priority of the packet, give it higher or lower priority or bandwidth levels.

Normally, if your system's LAN cards don't support QoS Packet Scheduling, you don't have to worry about it.

But, if you want to disable it, you can change it by doing the following. Note, this is not available in Windows XP Home Edition.

Start Menu --> Run --> gpedit.msc

Expand Administrative Templates under Computer Configuration

Expand Network

Click QoS Packet Scheduler

You will find an entry in QoS Packet Scheduler called "Limit Reservable Bandwidth". Double-click it, enable it, and set it to 0%.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/3688

give preference to certain type of ip packets (like voip).

ONLY VoIP or any other types as well.

I realize that my allocated bandwidth is not regulated by my own machine but by my ISP, but are there any actual speed advantages to disabling this feature?

For a person on a cable modem I suppose there would be no point in disabling, since I am not part of a LAN. Or have I misunderstood that as well?

:o

as i understand it meadish , it won't change anything to do this to enhance your internet connection.

In my view it would not even be on the network adapter unless you have installed it seperatly. It's also more easy to deinstall it from the adapter then to use a local security policy to change it's properties.

"Quality of Service" = qos, just gives preference to certain packets like voip or video streaming on other packets. This is to prevent conversations or streams dropping out when network load is high. Your entire network needs to be equipped for it though , this means ip telephone, pc, server, routers and switches included.

Also note that many providers use bandwith limiters/dividers to manage speeds and bandwith of certain protocols. Do a search on Packeteer if you like to now more.

Also realise that your speed is determined by the slowest link in the chain :o

You can find some more stuff here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techi...dc_qos_psbp.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techi...performance.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/techi...gmt/qosover.asp

I've just done some tests using Firefox's "Bandwidth Tester" (under "Tools"):

1. The first test was without any changes - default of 20% bandwidth

2. Next test at 0%

3. Next at 80%

4. Next at 80% - but after a reboot

Each test was done 5 times.

# 20% 0% 80% +Reboot

1. 8.27 7.90 8.00 7.81

2. 8.00 8.00 7.54 7.90

3. 8.45 8.72 8.00 8.45

4. 7.72 8.09 6.72 8.18

5. 8.45 8.18 8.00 8.27

Ave. 8.18 8.18 7.65 8.12

So, it doesn't make a lot of difference to my 56Kbps modem link!