Calf Cramp Up While Sleeping

tangoll

Has this ever happened to anyone else? The calf of my right leg cramps up while I'm asleep, and it's so painful, it wakes me up and stays cramped up for about a minute -- very painful. I can't raise or move the leg.

I didn't do anything strenous during the day, and there was nothing that stretched or injured the calf or leg. I play a fair bit of tennis, so the leg muscles are well developed, and after two hours of tennis in very hot weather the calves might start to cramp or feel tight, but nowhere near the state that the leg froze up to last night.

The next day, the calf is stiff and sore; so I had to massage it a lot, and apply some heat rubbing gel onto it. A day or two it should be back to normal, I think.

The weather here in Hong Kong has been very cold the past few days, with temperatures hovering around the 10 degree Centigrade mark, and while it's cool under the blankets at night, I believe my legs are well covered and warm under the blankets.

Does anyone have a clue why this is, and what might be causing my legs to cramp at night?

Has this ever happened to anyone else? The calf of my right leg cramps up while I'm asleep, and it's so painful, it wakes me up and stays cramped up for about a minute -- very painful. I can't raise or move the leg.

I didn't do anything strenous during the day, and there was nothing that stretched or injured the calf or leg. I play a fair bit of tennis, so the leg muscles are well developed, and after two hours of tennis in very hot weather the calves might start to cramp or feel tight, but nowhere near the state that the leg froze up to last night.

The next day, the calf is stiff and sore; so I had to massage it a lot, and apply some heat rubbing gel onto it. A day or two it should be back to normal, I think.

The weather here in Hong Kong has been very cold the past few days, with temperatures hovering around the 10 degree Centigrade mark, and while it's cool under the blankets at night, I believe my legs are well covered and warm under the blankets.

Does anyone have a clue why this is, and what might be causing my legs to cramp at night?

Yes I had exactly the same thing happen to me in Bangkok last month. The weather was a little colder. I play sport too. In my case I think it was because I had the fan blowing air on to my leg. It's very painful. Wearing pyjamas would prevent it.

Yes I have had that, hurts like hel_l doesnt it? You can put your hand on your calf and it feels like steel.

It only happened once every few months to me. But is, says my doctor, a symtom of a inpending heart problem, and bad circulation. That makes sense as your right leg is furthest away from your heart.

A healthier lifestyle maybe? Cut out the fatty food, drinking or smoking? I am not saying you do any of this, but these are the major causes of circulation problems.

I did 1 out of the 3, and it has gone away after I stopped, cannot resist the Full English breakfast at least twice a week though :o

Ohh yes and drink more water and get your electolytes :D

Easy fix in most cases. I exercise a lot and used to get calf cramps at night all the time. Drinking water and extra potasium didn't help. I started stretching my calf a couple times a day for 20-30 seconds. Stairs provide the easiest stretch. Just put the ball of your foot on the edge and drop your heals. I never get cramps now - not even after a week when I log 40 miles running.

not even after a week when I log 40 miles running.

Running? I only exercise nocturnally, the occasional time in the garden, on the couch, or over the kitchen table.

Just cut out the fats, smoking and too much beer. It goes away. No need to torture yourself :o

Sorry folks!! not a lot to do withelectrolytes or pottasium, nightly calf cramps are caused by poor circulation, being overweight, pending or actual cardiac problems and some times type 2 diabetes,I suffered with all of these, dont get the cramps anymore, but I do have diabetes,a bypass and a pacemaker :o lost a lot of weight too and not had a fag for 5 years, if I behave even allowed fish chips and mushy peas once fortnight :D feel better and Lao Kao is not fattening so its not all bad :D Nignoy

Thanks to all who replied. Poorer circulation may be the culprit as on my trips to Bangkok, I have been enjoying the English all day breakfast at the British Club and once or twice a week to Sizzler Steakhouse for the sirloin steaks. Guess I'll have to cut those out. Impending heart attack -- I sure hope not. Smoking/drinking are not in my life, so nothing to cut out there.

I'm not so sure about the poor circulation, it's a bit sweeping to assume all cramp in the legs is due to this.

I used to get this problem more so as a very fit 25 year old. And to this day have a resting heart rate of 50 or less, and BP 115/60.

Must be other explanations too ? I mean how about lowish blood pressure at night?

Indeed I just nicked this off a credible UK health site. Maybe a dodgy heart is associated with a similar symptom as there is no mention here.

What are leg cramps?

A leg cramp is a pain that comes from a muscle in the leg. It is due to a muscle spasm which is when a muscle contracts too hard. It usually occurs in one of the calf muscles, below and behind a knee. The small muscles of the feet are sometimes affected.

A cramp pain typically lasts a few minutes. In some cases it lasts just seconds, but in some cases it can last up to 10 minutes. The severity of the pain varies. The muscle may remain tender for up to 24 hours after a leg cramp. Leg cramps usually occur when you are resting - most commonly at night when in bed. (They are often called night cramps.) They may wake you from sleep. It can become a distressing condition if your sleep is regularly disturbed.

Who gets leg cramps?

Many people have an occasional leg cramp. However, they occur frequently in some people. They are more common in older people. About 1 in 3 people over the age of 60, and about half of people over the age of 80 have regular leg cramps. About 4 in 10 people who have leg cramps have at least three per week. They occur every day in some cases.

What causes leg cramps?

Unknown cause (idiopathic leg cramps)

In most cases the cause is not known. One theory is that cramps occur when a muscle that is already in a shortened position is stimulated to contract. As the muscle is already shortened, to contract further may cause the muscle to go into spasm. This commonly happens at night in bed as the natural position we lie in is with the knees slightly bent (flexed), and with feet pointing slightly downwards. In this position the calf muscle is relatively shortened and prone to cramps. This theory explains why stretching exercises may cure the problem.

Secondary causes

In some cases, the cramps may be a symptom of another condition or problem. For example:

• Some medicines can cause cramps as a side-effect, or make cramps occur more often. These include: diuretics ('water tablets'), nifedipine, cimetidine, salbutamol, terbutaline, lithium, clofibrate, penicillamine, morphine (withdrawal), phenothiazines, and nicotinic acid.
  • Over-exertion of muscles.
  • Dehydration.
  • Conditions that cause alterations in the balance of salts in the bloodstream (such as a high or low sodium or potassium level).
  • Some people who have renal (kidney) dialysis get leg cramps.
  • Pregnancy - usually in the later stages.
  • An untreated under-active thyroid gland.
  • Peripheral vascular disease (narrowing of the leg arteries which causes poor circulation).
  • Cirrhosis of the liver is a rare cause.
  • Lead poisoning.
  • Sarcoidosis.
  • Rare disorders of nerves.
  • Excess alcohol.

With the above conditions the cramps would just be one of various other symptoms. Therefore, if you are otherwise well, and have no other unexplained symptoms, then the leg cramps are likely to be idiopathic (unknown cause) and not due to a secondary cause.

Wouldn't like to get one for 10 mins :o poor blighters!!!!

Got to laugh at these things I think.

Sorry folks!! not a lot to do withelectrolytes or pottasium, nightly calf cramps are caused by poor circulation, being overweight, pending or actual cardiac problems and some times type 2 diabetes,I suffered with all of these, dont get the cramps anymore, but I do have diabetes,a bypass and a pacemaker :o lost a lot of weight too and not had a fag for 5 years, if I behave even allowed fish chips and mushy peas once fortnight :D feel better and Lao Kao is not fattening so its not all bad :D Nignoy

Gee I'm glad I'm not as aware of the the problems as you.

For me cramps are always associated with increased exercise, particularly anaerobic.

Increased hydration has always helped me.

Increased potassium intake when I suffer these symptoms has also always helped me.

A preventative remedy that seems to work is stretching before and after exercise.

Cheers

Although, this hasn't happened to me in a couple of years. About 5 years ago, I figured out what was happening? My cramp (in which leg I don't remember) would occur just after I wake up and would happen when instead of stretching my calf muscles by pointing my toes toward me, I would point my toes away from me, tightened the muscle. Man did it hurt. I have never had this type cramp during the day. Of course, I still don't know the reason the muscle was so susceptible to this type of movement when it happened after I first wake up. I am an avid bicyclist and regularly stretch my various leg muscles.

Gee I'm glad I'm not as aware of the the problems as you.

For me cramps are always associated with increased exercise, particularly anaerobic.

Increased hydration has always helped me.

Increased potassium intake when I suffer these symptoms has also always helped me.

A preventative remedy that seems to work is stretching before and after exercise.

Cheers

There are a few minute details that tend to remind me of the problems mentioned above,such as a 9 inch titanium cage replacing 5 vertabrae in my cervical spine,artificial knee joint attached to steel plates supporting the shin and thighbones, and severe nerve damage to both arms, but you see as a 65 yearold Disabled War Veteran I dont do a lot of aerobics :D Nignoy

Happy to report that since posting this thread, I've been stretching and rubbing heat ointment and massaging my calves before sleeping each night, and have not had any more cramps during sleep. Key I think is loosening the calf muscles.

Thanks to all who replied with info and advice.

Usually with my body-When I drink to much coca cola(diuretic) & not enough water at least 3 liters a day & compounding the problem with insane amounts of exercise(building a house & moving 3 loads of dirt in a 2 day period by wheelbarrow) has been causing severe cramping in my calves for about 10 min at a time.

When I drink a lot of water to replace the lack of hydration & consume enough fuel to continue working or pounding something with large amounts of electrolytes It goes away. Eating a bunch of bananas help as well & calm the ape portion in me as well.

Bananas as well as other foods are high in potassium. I have had cramps on & off (usually overworking related )for 30 some years & on checkups doctors tell me to pound a lot of water-Gatorade or something with a lot of electrolytes & try potassium to increase the potassium level in my body. On severe cases I have been administered an IV with electrolytes to rehydrate.

most of the time it seems to be more a hydration issue as it is easier to pound down soft drinks(that delete your water in your body or beer (does the same) Sometimes it seems 3 + liters of water is a lot for a day.

Edited by Beardog

I used to have that problem quite often and not only in my legs. I now make banana milkshakes. I put three bananas , some milk and ice in the blender. The result is a delicious drink and the potassium helps eliminate cramps.

I used to have that problem quite often and not only in my legs. I now make banana milkshakes. I put three bananas , some milk and ice in the blender. The result is a delicious drink and the potassium helps eliminate cramps.

I've just been inspired to get off the couch and go buy some banana's.

Cheers

Has this ever happened to anyone else? The calf of my right leg cramps up while I'm asleep, and it's so painful, it wakes me up and

I have had that and it wakes you up immediately, and hurts badly. I have found that Lipitor can cause it and it did in my case. Hope t

this ?helps

stays cramped uphat for about a minute -- very painful. I can't raise or move the leg.