Chalong Circle

N47HAN

Maybe they could poke it onto the back of a truck and place it somewhere up the hill with the big Buddha?

You doing the deed? Ping....... :D .......... :o

Why? If it is going to stay down Chalong way, why would I want to go and help with the dirty work? No, if they want to bring it up to Patong, I will volunteer to help... I will drive the truck!

But I reckon they will be mucking around with the red tape for the approvals to move it for months yet. You know what I think, I reckon that they will be scratching their heads saying, 'WTH are we going to do with the thing?'. Don't be surprised if it does end up sitting under Big Buddha's shadow. Maybe beside the bell thingy as you come up the steps? Or near the entrance at the back of the statue? Or perhaps at the end of the car park - make a bit of a roundabout there?

Gawd knows where else they could put it. I would have said at the end of the pier road (not far to cart it) but there wouldn't be room there and, in any case, once it is on a truck, it doesn't really matter how far it has to go. It'll probably end up in the centre of a roundabout somewhere locally there... I mean, they're forever digging up roads for something to do - I'm sure they'll place it with few problems.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The fountain would enhance the area down by the pier.

Most fitting place, all water related.

Chink and Jap tourist having pix taken beside it.

Yeah, would look good, be good, I reckon.

Needs refurbishing, like most of Chalong.........LOL

Drove through Chalong Circle this morning about 08.00 and the lights were set to all flashing red (or amber). I see no sign of the fountain being removed. Doubt whether they will move it as it will help traffic flow when (if ... !!) the lights are actually in operation.

That was the whole point. If they are going to leave it there, it is still a roundabout (but with lights). It may take a while, but I would say that it is a fair bet it will go. They may also be trying to work out what to do with the thing. I think it would look odd down the end of the pier road, just sitting there. They couldn't put a roundabout there (though it's a good idea) unless they impinged on the restaurant land. I'll stick with my original suggestion - move it up with the Big Buddha. Either that, or give it to Patong - could make good use of it there at Jungceylon or at the big Otop market in 200 Pi... or even smack dab in the middle of Bangla!

Yes, very good suggestion - a mooring bay or what about a really elaborate bollard?

Patong a mess? What makes you say that? (On second thoughts, that is off topic - perhaps you could answer that in Phuket General.)

Indeed, in deference to a previous request, I am not going to post any more in this thread unless it is soundly on point with the OP - use Phuket General.

Yes, very good suggestion - a mooring bay or what about a really elaborate bollard?

Patong a mess? What makes you say that? (On second thoughts, that is off topic - perhaps you could answer that in Phuket General.)

Indeed, in deference to a previous request, I am not going to post any more in this thread unless it is soundly on point with the OP - use Phuket General.

WHERE is Phuket General.

......or WHO is he? ... :o

• 3 weeks later...

I'll go and have a look at it a couple of days after I get back. I won't be able to post any snaps though, since I will be stuck with Internet cafes. In any event, it's not all that serious. After all, it's only a roundabout (with a bit of two-stang bricabrac in the middle).

I'll go and have a look at it a couple of days after I get back. I won't be able to post any snaps though, since I will be stuck with Internet cafes. In any event, it's not all that serious. After all, it's only a roundabout (with a bit of two-stang bricabrac in the middle).

The Chalong Post Office cyber cafe, right at the Circle is pretty good.

I use it at times. Just plug ya camera in.

Lites should even out traffic flow.

Still reckon that left turn from Pier Rd is dumb.

Traffic from there in afternoon, gets quite heavy, buses, dive trip trucks and vans etc.

Edited by Zpete

I'm toying with the idea of bringing over a laptop 'puter after all, because there are plenty of wireless hot spots on the island. For example, Faulty Towers (Patong) has one (free acess for customers) and the place is nice and quiet in the afternoon on most days. I could sit in there with my laptop and a quiet Tiger or two and tap away until my heart's content. Only five minute's walk from home, too - and plenty of parking available during that time of the day if I'm heading out somewhere else from there. A lot of bars seem to have this facility (eg Mai Tai bar) but are too noisy. I wsould be able to upload snaps using this facility - too much drama at a net cafe.

If I end up taking a laptop, I will post some snaps of the Circle within a week of arrival. (But I still think the whole business is overrated - since when has a minor roadworks created so much interest?) I'll also post some snaps of the ex-mini golf course I mentioned (in the General thread).

Ping, I will have my laptop for first time this trip.

I was thinking of asking TV-ers if they knew of wireless hotspots on Phuket.

Patong, Karon, Kata and for me mainly, Chalong.

Most places I stay have B/B and wireless, but it would be good to sit in a bar and relax with drink in hand, and do my stuffs.

The circle, really no big deal, but bit of fun.

If you have a digicam, set it up for 'mpeg' and drive slowley around the fountain, show everything that way.

Thanks Sir Burr and HDR.

Pete, you should also try Googling it; 'Phuket wireless hot spots' or similar. Any amount of sites with this information.

Ping, I have a list for Bangers.

Must do that for Phuket.

Just hoping summun with first hand knowledge, mite put in their pen'orth.

Lotsa sites DO need passwords, even tho ppl say, not so.

Looks like Nikita Bar, Rawai would suit me, beer in hand.

Must NOT forget gladwrap to enclose keyboard...... neva know.

Found these, no Chalong.....LOL

Nephew's business has wireless, said I could hook up if I bring my poota.

Starbucks - Patong and Phuket City

The Books - Phuket City

Michael's Bar - Phuket City

Connect Guesthouse - Patong

Village Bakery - Laguna Phuket

Mai Thai Bar - Patong

Faulty Towers Inn - Patong

Club Rio - Patong

I think one would find lots of hostels and hotels have wireless for guests, well I know so.

Edited by Zpete

Yes but the majority of the guesthouses are secured and you need the key... some of them even charge for use (presumably by time, but I don't know). There have been threads in the subforum before on the same topic, but they would probably be too dated by now. In any case, as I have said, I'm happy with Faulty Towers.

Interesting idea about protecting the KB. I have only ever ruined one KB - soaked it with a cup of coffee. I pulled it apart and cleaned it up, but it was a long time ago and I just can't remember whether I managed to save it or had to throw it out (but I think the latter). Would cling film (such as Gladwrap) be strong enough for the protection job? In any event, you wouldn't leave your drink anywhere near the 'puter, would you? As I said, I only made that mistake once... And you wouldn't be using it in an environment where someone else may cause spillage, would you?

Good point HDRider - we managed to slip off topic again. Too easy to do. My apologies.

As to the Circle, that's what they've said they intend to do. We have been theorising about what they would do with the fountain - would they just mow it down with the rest or move it elsewhere? At the time that the issue was first raised, this was said;

'Permission to remove the fountain in the centre of Chalong Circe must be sought from the Phuket Provincial Administration Organization (OrBorJor), however, before any work could be carried out.'

Source: http://exploringphuket.com/articles/524-ch...-may-be-history

This does not necessarily mean they will move the fountain elsewhere, but you would suspect that they would have said 'demolish' rather than 'remove' if that is what was intended.

E:Clarification

Edited by Ping

I don't care what people may think of roundabouts in general use.

They sort the traffic out far better than traffic lights ever will, in such situations like Chalong.

I live in Auckland, where the Royal Oak roundabout has 10 times the traffic of Chalong Circle, and only thing done to it in last 10 years, was to close off one of the streets entering it.

Traffic flows freely on demand, no matter what time of the day.

Once was 6 way intersection.

Most frustrating roundabout I know, is in Melbourne, Camberwell junction, trams having to be catered for to, avoided at all costs.

London's, Picadilly Circus, would be the most well known roundabout in the world, traffic flows freely.

Mind you, NZ drivers possibly are more road rule consious, possibly... more curteous driving, than Thai motorists, inc expats... LOL.

As I have said before, in my minimal experience of the circle, busy and quiet, there have never been any problems that I have noticed.

Just impatient and inconsiderate, at times, drivers.

I love skooting thru the traffic, trucks and buses, death wish, wot?

The only way I'll be happy with whatever they do is if the cops stop people from cutting in line... fat chance of that happening. When the cops are directing traffic there are people in all sort of vehicles riding down the shoulder of the road to cut in front of everyone whose been waiting. I've NEVER seen a cop stop someone for doing that. It's annoying and downright rude.

• 3 months later...
Nothing posted about Circle for over 3 months.

Any updates, what has happened?

Nothing has happened .. no lights in operation.

The Princess came through at about 6:15 last night and the cops stopped traffic all the way around. Backed up about 2kms in all directions, and once she went through the cops cut everybody loose! At the same time! Complete havoc ensued, BIB, geniuses.

Nothing posted about Circle for over 3 months.

Any updates, what has happened?

Nothing has happened .. no lights in operation.

The Princess came through at about 6:15 last night and the cops stopped traffic all the way around. Backed up about 2kms in all directions, and once she went through the cops cut everybody loose! At the same time! Complete havoc ensued, BIB, geniuses.

I can imagine, complete chaos.......LOL

Ya gotta give credit to MIB, they know how to make ppl happy.

Put on entertaiment..........LOL

Edited by Zpete