Dogs On The Beach

I have always enjoyed taking my young children to a day out on the beach, recently though it is becoming more difficult due to the ridiculous amounts of dogs seemingly allowed to roam freely, fight each other and in general be an annoyance to most people who have gone there to relax. It's not as if these are strays, on the beach in question most of the dogs were owned by Westerners.

Give us a break.

People's kids feel threatened by a bunch of dogs scrapping it out on the beach. Take them for a walk elsewhere and if you insist on p*****g everyone off then a least keep them under control & away from other people & their children.

There's not a lot on Samui for kids to do as it is.

The next dog that even comes close to my children will getting an interesting snack. See if I give a s**t.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have always enjoyed taking my young children to a day out on the beach, recently though it is becoming more difficult due to the ridiculous amounts of dogs seemingly allowed to roam freely, fight each other and in general be an annoyance to most people who have gone there to relax. It's not as if these are strays, on the beach in question most of the dogs were owned by Westerners.

Give us a break.

People's kids feel threatened by a bunch of dogs scrapping it out on the beach. Take them for a walk elsewhere and if you insist on p*****g everyone off then a least keep them under control & away from other people & their children.

The next dog that even comes close to my children will getting an interesting snack. See if I give a s**t.

I think there should be segregated beaches, like the ones they used to have in SA.

Some where people can walk there dogs and some where people can walk there children.

Then Owners of children don't have to give nasty snacks to dogs , and dogs don't make nasty snacks of children.

There should however be beaches where neither dogs or children are allowed.

Cheers

PS If you are JaiRawn maybe its the sun thats doing it. Maybe only go to the beach at night time.

I've noticed a high proportion of randy dogs on lamai beach recently (and I'm not referring to the hookers).

it's usually little yappy dogs trying to screw each other but there was a bigger dog trying to get intimate with a distraught thai lady, much to the amusement of all nearby.

on my beach there is nothing you can do to avoid the dogs. it's thailand, deal with it. i have 3 dogs myself, and i like to take them to the beach. they get a bit rowdy sometimes running around, but they are not harmful to children. don't be paranoid.

Give us a break.

Which beach are you talking about?

I'm well aware of the dog rescue facilities on Koh Samui, and I'm all for them. In my case the dogs were not strays, they were owned by Westerners, so it's not the dogs that need rescued, it's the owners.

And to girlx, with regards your comment 'it's Thailand, deal with it', I beg your pardon, I am Thai & you miss the point entirely. Are you Thai? If not, then you taking your 3 dogs to the beach has got nothing to do with Thailand and everything to do with you. I would suspect from your reply that you also don't have children of your own as you seem to have not the slightest grasp of this situation.

I'm well aware of the dog rescue facilities on Koh Samui, and I'm all for them. In my case the dogs were not strays, they were owned by Westerners, so it's not the dogs that need rescued, it's the owners.

And to girlx, with regards your comment 'it's Thailand, deal with it', I beg your pardon, I am Thai & you miss the point entirely. Are you Thai? If not, then you taking your 3 dogs to the beach has got nothing to do with Thailand and everything to do with you. I would suspect from your reply that you also don't have children of your own as you seem to have not the slightest grasp of this situation.

It's a pity that in general Thai people ,although Budhist, treat dogs badly, and I've noticed that though most beach dogs will come to a Farang for a pat, they shy away if Thais approach........I heard of three dogs beaten to death with a spade by two Thai men because the dogs took one of their chickens when they left the pen door open.

Dogs have a place in our lifes, as do all animals, and they should be treated with respect and love .You willthen benefit from the love a dog can give in return..........undying,unqualified love.

It's a pity that in general Thai people ,although Budhist, treat dogs badly, and I've noticed that though most beach dogs will come to a Farang for a pat, they shy away if Thais approach........I heard of three dogs beaten to death with a spade by two Thai men because the dogs took one of their chickens when they left the pen door open.

Dogs have a place in our lifes, as do all animals, and they should be treated with respect and love .You willthen benefit from the love a dog can give in return..........undying,unqualified love.

Dogs are great. My only pet hate (excuse the pun) are those owners that let them sh*t everywhere without clearing it up.

I take my two dogs to the beach weekly because they love it, I go to a quiet beach but sometimes there are a few tourists around that I am sure are not overly impressed with their play fighting etc but hey the beaches are for everyone including my dogs. I agree that people who let their dogs shit without cleaning up are out of order, I always take a couple of placcy bags just in case.

This aint Marbella and we don't want it to be, the great thing about this country is that you can have more freedom than in other countries so I will continue to take my dogs to the beach.

PS They like to play with children but they do not bite anyone, the original poster should teach his children not to be afraid of dogs as this will affect them their whole lives. If you do anything to my dogs you will find I will do likewise to yourself.

Edited by theoracle

no i am not thai but i am surprised that you are and you are complaining about dogs- look around you! they are everywhere! why complain? like the last poster said, the beach is for everyone. my dogs live here and the tourists don't. i do try to keep them in line but sometimes tourists are ridiculous about it. they don't like dogs running on the beach, well hey, go to another beach! my dogs (and most western-owned dogs) certainly are not going to attack children, they are well taken care of. so just because you see dogs running around on the beach, you should not get paranoid. it sounds to me like you just don't like and are scared of dogs.

no i am not thai but i am surprised that you are and you are complaining about dogs- look around you! they are everywhere! why complain? like the last poster said, the beach is for everyone. my dogs live here and the tourists don't. i do try to keep them in line but sometimes tourists are ridiculous about it. they don't like dogs running on the beach, well hey, go to another beach! my dogs (and most western-owned dogs) certainly are not going to attack children, they are well taken care of. so just because you see dogs running around on the beach, you should not get paranoid.

it sounds to me like you just don't like and are scared of dogs.

Last line about sums it up.

'it sounds to me like you just don't like and are scared of dogs.'

And what difference does it make whether I am or not?! That is not the point of this thread.

Lots of defenders here of dogs, not many of children. Pathetic.

Also interesting that you see fit to throw in the 'freedom' argument. What you actually mean is freedom for 'yourselves', in actual fact you are affecting other people's freedoms in the process and so your argument falls on its face.

ChaiRorn from my experiance kids love dogs and vice versa, the beach I go to in Maenam most of the dogs are owned by the Thai's in the restaurants along that stretch so pointing the finger at farang's is wrong. Any kee I see on the beach and any fighting comes from those dogs.

Why don'y you rescue one of the many Thai owned neglected puppies around the island for your child and teach them that dogs are not to be scared of, it will surely benefit their upbringing.

I do not teach my children to be afraid of dogs, nor are they. Though they are afraid of dogs who race up to them at fast speed baring their teeth in a threatening manner. Any parent who teaches their children not at least to be wary of dogs, especially here, is making a mistake.

I have nothing particularly against dogs. It's the people who are the problem.

I am not small minded enough to think that all western dog owners are irresponsible, nor am I small minded enough to think that all Thai dog owners are irresponsible. And I don't care where the owner of the dog comes from, again, not my point.

Indeed, it is quite simple really to understand, the op is concerned about irresponsible dog owners not keeping control of their pets when they take them to the beach, which is a public space & should be safe for all to spend time there.

As a parent he is rightly concerned about he welfare of his child & I too would be worried if some dog came running near my child, whether it was freindly or not (& I woudlnt' know cause it isn't known to me) a small child is unable to prevent a medium sized dog from knocking it over or any sized dog from biting them. Known dogs are a differnt matter but who knows what someone elses dog is like or what they are allowed to get away with with thier owner, so calling the op paranoid is out of order imo.

So many on this thread claim westerns to be much better dog owners than thais so it stands to reason that they would understand that dog ownership (anywhere) comes with the resposnibiltiy to not make them a threat or nuisance to those around them especially children who can't protect themselves against an attack or even play fighting dogs who may bite the child in fun but from the response on this thread would seem not! :o

Dunno but I don't think I am the odd one here in thinking this to be responsible dog ownership but seems too many beleive they can do as they wish just casue they are in Thailand. And how arrogant to critise the thai dog owners for supposed bad dog ownership!!!!

It's ok, maybe poeple misread your op?

I don't think that dogs should be kept off the beach & taking your dog to a secluded beach & then coming across people is a slightly different thing but on main beaches where a lot of people are then I think dogs should be kept under control & not allowed to play fight & run around too much. It's just common courtesy imo. I have had dogs in samui & know how hard it is to keep them amused, mine learnt to chase motorbikes on the main road. :o So we stopped them going outside the front of the house & they were allowed to play on the private beach (no tourists or anyone at all) behind the house which kept them off the road 99% of the time. When we had to move near the temple in lamai temporarily they started the chasing bikes again so my beloved pets had to be chained behind the house for a few weeks until we moved off island to stop them causing an accident. It pained me greatly to do it & I hated to see them restrained but I couldn't risk them hurting or even killing a bike rider as it was my job as the owner to keep them & others safe. Same principle IMO.

A good friends toy poodle was attacked & killed by another dog on lamai beach not 2 years ago, never made the news though so can't give you a verified source but that isn't the point is it. Dogs are much more dangerous to small children than vise versa so just pointing out the inbalance of your comment about people taking responsibilty for their kids. :o

as far as i know no dog has ever mauled a child on the beach where i live. there was one incident of a dog biting a man on the main road and the next day the thai owner, who had had the dog over 10 years, poisoned him out of a feeling of responsibility. everyone in the village knows all the different dogs and if there were a real danger it would be taken care of pronto. all i am saying is you might be imagining dangers that do not exist because you aren't familiar with dog behavior. my dogs love to play on the beach, and children love to play with them. most people are cool about it, but occasionally a tourist parent freaks out and it's totally irrational to me that they would. even if i didn't take my dogs to the beach, there are still about 25 dogs who live along the beach, despite mass poisonings by the bungalow owners. they fight other dogs and might bark a bit but they aren't bothering people. and that is just how it is in thailand. if you want to get rid of the dogs, then donate to the dog rescue organizations so that more of them will be spayed and neutered.

A good friends toy poodle was attacked & killed by another dog on lamai beach not 2 years ago, never made the news though so can't give you a verified source but that isn't the point is it. Dogs are much more dangerous to small children than vise versa so just pointing out the inbalance of your comment about people taking responsibilty for their kids. :o

Are you saying people shouldn't be responsible for their kids?

Cheers