Need To Pay Road Tax, But They Will Not Accept My Car!

LazyCat

Well I have had this car for 5 years and all 5 years it had silver tinted windows ( the film is made by V-kool ) I never had this problem before only this year they have told me that they will not take the road tax fee from me unless I strip my windows clear !!!!! :o

BUt I see so many other cars WITH road tax and tinted windows... drives me nuts ! ( really ! ) why someone can have pitch black tint and I can't have my tint all over sudden !?!?!?

HOW TO KEEP MY FILM AND PAY ROAD TAX? is there anyone wo can point me out to the right answer to my question???? maybe I can pay it through some service company or something?

The authorities periodically issue mutterings regarding tinting of car windows but nothing ever changes. Maybe this is just an attempt to shake you down for some extra spondulaks (money).

<edit> sorry can't suggest a way forward except to enlist the halp of a Thai.

Edited by PhilHarries

Well I have had this car for 5 years and all 5 years it had silver tinted windows ( the film is made by V-kool ) I never had this problem before only this year they have told me that they will not take the road tax fee from me unless I strip my windows clear !!!!! :o

BUt I see so many other cars WITH road tax and tinted windows... drives me nuts ! ( really ! ) why someone can have pitch black tint and I can't have my tint all over sudden !?!?!?

HOW TO KEEP MY FILM AND PAY ROAD TAX? is there anyone wo can point me out to the right answer to my question???? maybe I can pay it through some service company or something?

where are you located ? i have a thai lady that does mine, she has never seen my car !

where are you located ? i have a thai lady that does mine, she has never seen my car !

Yes- this is right. They don't need to see your car. Go to your land transport office in another car, or a taxi, with all of your paprwork in hand.

Personally I wish the tinted windows were removed - I don't like them as they do not help road safety.

You can't see through the vehicle to spot what is happening ahead nor can you see the driver to see if they are aware of you, what is happening or just talking on the phone.

Just my personal view ...................

I'm not sure who "they" are. When I go to register my older truck, I have to get a vehicle inspection, but that's done by some guys that have the concession across the street from the DMV. The DVM people have never actually come out of the building to look at my truck. As a matter of fact, the "inspection" required to get my new windshield sticker was nothing more than taking the serial number of the vehicle from the engine block the last time I went. They didn't even check to see if my lights, horn (and other basic things) worked. It sounds like the OP got someone who was in a particularly bad mood that day, or as others suggested, was looking for a little extra spending cash.

Yes- this is right. They don't need to see your car. Go to your land transport office in another car, or a taxi, with all of your paprwork in hand.

well actually we thought so too and send a thai person to do it but after driving to that place ( i guess it's the same place where you get driving licence ) the guy came back and said they need to see the car!!! which never happened to me before!

he took the car ( i was not home that day to go myself ) and after 2 hours he called my mom to say that he is going to take the film off my car since he cannot do it with the film on!!! I did not allowed and so the guy brought the car back charged us for his "service" 700Bt and left a car with a paper ( it has a copy of my car"s engine number like pattyboy said ) saying that needs to take off the tint ( in thai ) I was devastated I paid 5000 for that tint!

briley

this is not my case I don't have a black tint itis seethrough and I never had any accidents driving that car ( well where it was my fault.. a couple of times I got someone to kiss my car's butt because of not keeping distance, and one time I got my turning lights actually stollen off my car!!! oh I had one lady who dropped her mobilea nd was reaching for it under her passenger seat so she couldn't make a nice turn so she got me on the side while I was driving on the first lane), so nothing to do with the tint on my windows!

Far Angst I just don't know where to go ( I always went to that place where I got my driving licence on Sukhumvit opposite soi 62 some large building don't know the name for it... ) or how to pay at the post office... I was not in thailand for quite some time and the car was in the garage I need to pay last years tax and this one as wel...

anyways guys thank you for your comments I guess I will find a solution through talking to you all! :o

LazyCat - my problem with tinted windows is for others, not the driver of the car.

As a motorbike rider I like to see the driver as they come out of a side road so I know they have seen me.

Also following one of these big cars I like to be able to look through the car to see if there is a reason why they will suddenly stop, or swerve or whatever.

Tinted windows are never a problem for the driver, it is a problem for others.

Anyway I know I'll never win this arguement ....................... !!

LazyCat - my problem with tinted windows is for others, not the driver of the car.

As a motorbike rider I like to see the driver as they come out of a side road so I know they have seen me.

Also following one of these big cars I like to be able to look through the car to see if there is a reason why they will suddenly stop, or swerve or whatever.

if this is any help to u my tinted windows never resulted in a motorbike accident, I never hit a motorbike during my 5 year driving experience in thailand .. so don't blame the tinted windows blame the one who can't drive properly :D

and like I said my windows are see through and you can actually see me, they become less see through when under direct sunlite and they cut down on heat penetrating the car ( V kool )

BUT I have seen the tint on other cars so black that you not only see the driver but the driver himself can't see $hit when driving this car ( and have to roll down the windows to park!!!! ) AND THOSE HAD THEIR ROAD TAX STICKER!!!!!! ( I now am a bit crazy about looking into other cars for this sticker!!! ) and that's the point I get mad about why they have it and I don't :o

You're actually quite right. The only reason I see for window tint on a car (with the obvious exception of a loooove bus :o ) is to keep the heat out. If someone could come up with a clear film that worked as good I'd be the first person in line to make that product mandatory over a dark tint.

well actually we thought so too and send a thai person to do it but after driving to that place ( i guess it's the same place where you get driving licence ) the guy came back and said they need to see the car!!! which never happened to me before!

Think it might have something to do with the 5 years of the car. As far as I know, for new cars, the only 2 things you need are the car registration book and the insurance payment receipt (oh, and a bit of money :D). However, for older cars, you will have to have a checkup (though I've heard you can just have a reputable car center issue you a checkup verification doc). I believe the checkups begin for cars over 5 years old.

This is just what I've heard, my car is still new so I'm not sure of all the details. :o

AFAIK all of the discussion from the "lawmakers" a couple of years ago was not to do with the ability to see out of the car but the fact that "silver tinting" reflects sunlight and dazzles other roadusers.

best of luck in your pusuit of success

:o

edit : sp

Edited by sinom

did not know that my car is so dazzling!!! will know now... so I should have better went to some other place for tinting my windows not reputable company and I had better made it pitch black so no one can see me... but now I am dazzling other roadusers!!! right... I am bad....

Every motorvehicle starting from the 5th year of age needs a check up every year prior to paying the road tax.As someone else mentioned this normally doesn't go any further then taking the frame number but if they have a pick on you they can insist that you remove the film because the law says that 40 % is the maximum level for tinted windows.I remember from years ago,when they first created this law,that police stopped cars on the streets in bangkok and they checked the darkness of the window film.

Every motorvehicle starting from the 5th year of age needs a check up every year prior to paying the road tax.As someone else mentioned this normally doesn't go any further then taking the frame number but if they have a pick on you they can insist that you remove the film because the law says that 40 % is the maximum level for tinted windows.I remember from years ago,when they first created this law,that police stopped cars on the streets in bangkok and they checked the darkness of the window film.

This is not always correct, my wife’s Toyota is now about 8 years old and the tax and insurance is done via the Toyota dealer without any inspection.

It is very normal when you buy an new car they will take care of this on your behalf.

I agree entirely, and I drive a car not a motocy,

well thanks to everybody now I feel like the only one here who has a car with tinted windows and the rest drives cars with windows that are seethrough like aquarium ( I haven't seen many in Bangkok but when I'll see I will know that's probably from this forum ! )

he took the car ( i was not home that day to go myself ) and after 2 hours he called my mom to say that he is going to take the film off my car since he cannot do it with the film on!!! I did not allowed and so the guy brought the car back charged us for his "service" 700Bt and left a car with a paper ( it has a copy of my car"s engine number like pattyboy said ) saying that needs to take off the tint ( in thai ) I was devastated I paid 5000 for that tint!

If you go to the head office of the Land Transport department at Chatuchak and drive around behind it, there are literally dozens of car inspection garages displaying the big blue and yellow "gear wheel" logo. As mentioned , most of them provide a cursory at best inspection, trace your VIN number on to some masking tape, prepare the report with the tracing affixed / stamped, and cheerfully collect your 2 -300 baht fee.

Find a garage that will issue the inspection report without regard for your tinted windows. It should not be difficult.

After that, go in to the Land Transport office grounds. They have a "drive-thru" payment facility near building number 2, where the employees in the booth are little more concerned than checking that all of your papers are complete and collecting your payment, so that they can move on to the next car waiting behind you and keep the queue moving.

Fortunately, we have a new car now, so this procedure will be behind us for a few years. But... overall, the whole process was quite painless and would be over and done with in about 45 minutes by using the inspection garages and the drive thru at Chatuchak.

And- easy to do by yourself- never needed Ms. Bino or another Thai as translator.

If you go to the head office of the Land Transport department at Chatuchak and drive around behind it....

And- easy to do by yourself- never needed Ms. Bino or another Thai as translator.

Thank you ! that's what I call an answer to my post and hopefully to my problems!

( my car was also new ... once... it was 5 years ago :D and I had trouble free time till the show room that I have purchased my car in was there.. now they have sold the land and the office was broken down to the ground :o so I have to do eeverything myself )