Thai Manners

Ulysses G.

I dont know if I am correct but I have noticed that the Thai Chinese seem to be far more abrupt and lacking in manners. It may be a generalisation but it has been my experience.

Cheers BB

Most definitely a blatant generalization... :o

Yes, it's a blatant generalization. The more apt blatant generalization would have been "affluent Thais", rather than "Thai Chinese". Though most affluent Thais happen to be Thai Chinese.

No in my experience here manners have very little to do with affluence - one thing I do hope Thais have more important things to be dealing with than worrying about a dastardly person changing a tv channel.

One tends to learn more about Thailand getting around and about mixing with the natives rather than reading about it on some website.

Cheers BB

Strange how people deal with the Thai people here. In their home country I would guess most people would say something like "Excuse me I was watching that" and ask for it to be turned back. But in Thailand everybody is either too scared to speak or running over to the woman battering her for the remote control, switching channels and screaming about her lack of manners.

Here's a novel idea, perhaps the "Excuse me I was watching that" might work here too. :o

Yes, it's a blatant generalization. The more apt blatant generalization would have been "affluent Thais", rather than "Thai Chinese". Though most affluent Thais happen to be Thai Chinese.

I work on a Chinese oil rig and they couldnt give a stuff who is watching what, the remote is just grabbed and the channel changed, all the other Chinese guys in the room say nothing. It really irritated me for a long time but now if it happens I say something and the remote is just dropped. The first time I protested I was so worked up I felt like a <deleted> afterwards for making such a fuss. Thats the farang way I guess.

I have tried doing it myself and nobody has said anything, having said that if someone did say something I would change it back to what they were watching.

Strange behaviour but I don't think they consider it rude...I may be wrong.

Khun Andy

I would have snatched the controller away and changed the channel back. But Im also the guy that bolts out of the BTS full on without turning my shoulders sideways so I can clip all the women trying to rush inside without letting us out first. I try to make them spin as many times as possible before they hit the ground. Good fun.

Damian

I'm definitely a member of the "shoulder bargers club" too :o 20 years of playing Rugby with Polynesians has made it second nature to me !

I would have snatched the controller away and changed the channel back. But Im also the guy that bolts out of the BTS full on without turning my shoulders sideways so I can clip all the women trying to rush inside without letting us out first. I try to make them spin as many times as possible before they hit the ground. Good fun.

Damian

Oh Damian you're my kinda guy! I do that too! The absolute WORST are the girls from the private schools that surround my condo; they have such a sense of entitlement and are so extraordinarily rude, not just at the skytrain where they behave as you described but also on the sidewalk, in shops, and especially when they encounter what they consider to be lower class Thais. They treat them like dirt. Same with farangs. The boys don't appear to be rude in this way, I wonder why?

I dont know if I am correct but I have noticed that the Thai Chinese seem to be far more abrupt and lacking in manners. It may be a generalisation but it has been my experience.

Cheers BB

Most definitely a blatant generalization... :o

No in my experience here manners have very little to do with affluence - one thing I do hope Thais have more important things to be dealing with than worrying about a dastardly person changing a tv channel.

One tends to learn more about Thailand getting around and about mixing with the natives rather than reading about it on some website.

Cheers BB

Long Live the Empire! Long live the Queen! Keep the dam_n natives in their place!

:D

Dramatic Title to a Thread about a woman changing TV channels in a gym.

What if I had come into the gym and changed channels, would you have started a thread about it here?

Thai manners are streets ahead of western manners in my opinion.

Thais do not have any manners, whether on the road, walking in the street or at a dinner table.

Much the same as falangs who wear baseball caps whilst eating, or walking around Tescos without a shirt. :o

Damian

I'm definitely a member of the "shoulder bargers club" too :o 20 years of playing Rugby with Polynesians has made it second nature to me !

Also, very rewarding/fun to step on the heels of the ones that cut you off. Try it, you'll feel better.

Negative and racist posts have been deleted, as have the replies.

My this thread certainly turned very ugly very fast with the usual negative generalizations being applied to a nation as a whole based on the behavior of a few.

Keep it polite, keep it civil and keep it civilized or it will be closed.

My this thread certainly turned very ugly very fast with the usual negative generalizations being applied to a nation as a whole based on the behavior of a few.

And here we are discussing Thai manners. Hard enough to find them on the internet sometimes. :o

ps. Understand racist posts removed, but what are negative posts?

And here we are discussing Thai manners. Hard enough to find them on the internet sometimes. :o

ps. Understand racist posts removed, but what are negative posts?

Sorry, a bit unclear there. So I will copy the relevant section of the forum rules:

3) ...racial slurs.....extremely negative views of Thailand will not be tolerated.

How wonderful to learn that, as an 'Asian' I am unable to have manners.

Thank you massa for tell me so tru.

A joke to lighten the mood:

My farang boyfren, him have no nose.

How does he smell?

Him smell velly bad.

Apparently though, ALL FARANG stink (based on a sample the same size as the Thai Chinese/Thai/Asian generalisations abounding here) :-)

Great to know that the educated faction of TV are once again flexing their intellectual mussels and solving the world's problems.

Regarding the gym.... you met a rude b^&h. She wasn't rude from being Thai, she was rude, cause some people are rude. Grow a pair, and deal with it, how do the Spanish say, mano to puta. Don't whinge upside dis place aight?!

Good as gold.

If you want to see total lack of manners, try skiing/snowboarding with Europeans.

Thais do not have any manners, whether on the road, walking in the street or at a dinner table.

How can someone say something as transparently asinine as that? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Manners are the set of behaviours which a culture - to ease the stresses of social living - sets out as being acceptable/unacceptable. Are you saying that Thais have no such set of behaviours? That's self-evidently false.

Much the same as falangs who wear baseball caps whilst eating, or walking around Tescos without a shirt. :o

No, this isn't the same. These examples (perhaps) contravene accepted standards (accepted by some, that is); they don't claim the absence of accepted standards.

Edited by HS Mauberley