Need A Good Child Neuropathologist In Bangkok

LazyCat

I am now in not such a good financial situation and it had to come now. my baby girl ( 2 years old) managed in one second to turn over a large food trolley in the shopping center( don't ask me how she did it it probably weighted about 20 kg or more by that time ) she fell/ the trolly fell on her and after I picked her up she lost conciosness, which she regained in a matter of seconds anyway I want to check that there is everything ok with her, she looks and acts as usual but I am scared... please don't ask me where was I when she did it, I actually just turned and reached for some juice and that moment was enough...

now I wonder if anyone can reccomend a good doctor who is good enough to listen. observe and tell me if there is anything to be afraid of... I don't need a doctor to just nod the head look at her and say everything ok ... but also don't want to be oversupplied with medications we don't need ( you know some doctors they think the more drugs they give you the better you will think their service was )

I am not even sure that I need neuropathologist... but someone who knows about what happends when there is a head injury and what it leads to, what test should we make and how to read the results of those tests ( don't think I am crazy if I think doctors in Thailand sometimes don't know what they are doing, I am SURE some of them really DON'T )

I am now in not such a good financial situation and it had to come now. my baby girl ( 2 years old) managed in one second to turn over a large food trolley in the shopping center( don't ask me how she did it it probably weighted about 20 kg or more by that time ) she fell/ the trolly fell on her and after I picked her up she lost conciosness, which she regained in a matter of seconds anyway I want to check that there is everything ok with her, she looks and acts as usual but I am scared... please don't ask me where was I when she did it, I actually just turned and reached for some juice and that moment was enough...

now I wonder if anyone can reccomend a good doctor who is good enough to listen. observe and tell me if there is anything to be afraid of... I don't need a doctor to just nod the head look at her and say everything ok ... but also don't want to be oversupplied with medications we don't need ( you know some doctors they think the more drugs they give you the better you will think their service was )

I am not even sure that I need neuropathologist... but someone who knows about what happends when there is a head injury and what it leads to, what test should we make and how to read the results of those tests ( don't think I am crazy if I think doctors in Thailand sometimes don't know what they are doing, I am SURE some of them really DON'T )

Your daughter does not need any sort of medicine but to be sure there is no slow bleeding within the skull she should have a CT scan. Can be done as outpatient but unfortunately does cost usually in the range of 10-15,000 Baht. The least expensive place with English speaking and acceptable quality of care would be Saint Louis Hospital which is on either Silom or Sathorn, forget which.

The danger with head injuries like this is that bleeding can occur within the skull with no symptoms until the blood has accumulated to the point where it puts pressure on the brain at which point it is a serious emergency requiring immediate surgery to prevent brain damage or death. Chances are that this will not happen and your daughter will be fine but the only way to be sure is with a scan.

The other alternative -- and we used to do in the old days before there were CT scans --- is just to observe her very closely over the next week or so. (Some bleeds can be very slow and show symptoms many days after the accident). Danger signs would be any change in level of cobsciousness...becoming drowsy, slurred speech, odd movements etc and vomiting. If those occur she has to be rushed to an emergency room at once.

If it were me I'd take her to a neurologist now and get a CT scan even if it means borrowing the money. (The hospital also takes credit cards). Chances are the scan will come back negative and you can then relax.

If the scan does show some bleeding then depending on how large it is and whether it seems to have stopped, gthe doctor may recommend a small surgical procedure ("burr holes") to remove the blood clot now or prefer to observe for a few days and repeat the scan.

In no case does she need any type of medicine, just a CT scan read by a neurologist and then nothing else or (if scan shows bleeding) possibly surgery or observation and repeat scan. Dont let the surgery part scare you, it is a simple procedure (they literally drill a small hole through the skull bones and vacuum out the blood)'and the alternative is brain damage...but odds are, scan will be negative and the issue won't even arise.

Don't feel bad about it, it is impossible to keep your eyes on a child nonstop and at this age some

accidents are inevitable.

Good luck

Sheryl

Thank you for your reply

I will look at her how she is but so far she behaves just as she would normally , nothing odd.. but I will do that scan as soon as I get the money anyway just to be on the safe side... I just want to know if it is a heard to read scan and will any or so-so doctor be able to read it correctly ( or perform it correctly) or I should really look for the best to do it?

Thank you for your reply

I will look at her how she is but so far she behaves just as she would normally , nothing odd.. but I will do that scan as soon as I get the money anyway just to be on the safe side... I just want to know if it is a heard to read scan and will any or so-so doctor be able to read it correctly ( or perform it correctly) or I should really look for the best to do it?

The scan would have to be read by a competent neurologist. In any case, the big expense is for having the sxcan fdone at all (becayuse of the expensive nature of the machinery), the cost difference between having it read by the best and read by the worst is minimal. So if you do it, be sure to have a well qualified neurologist read it.

Frankly, the longer you wait the less necessary the scan becomes because with each passing day that she seems completely notmal there is less chance that she has a slow bleed taking place. Can't completely rule it out, but less chance.

Just be sure that you rush her tom an emergency room at once if she develops any change in consciousness (drowsy, incioherent speech) or headache ot otherwise stops seeming normal. This precaution applies for as much as 3 weeks after head injury.

The scan would have to be read by a competent neurologist...............So if you do it, be sure to have a well qualified neurologist read it.

this is the part where it gets to be interesting... where can I find a competent one??? My husband has all the symptoms of intracranial preassure we went to Bamrungrad ( I go there for my pregnancy...not completely satisfied but at least it doesnt remind me of a hospital much more like hotel ) and the doctor that looked at him ( just looked no tests whatsoever ) said nothing is wrong!!! we paid the visit fee and did not get any answers!!! it's crazy ... it gave us no resolution just spent time and money. I don't want to repeat this with my kid, I would really lke to go to tha DOc who is professional enough to actually see if there anything is wrong, read the results and interpret them to me not just say "oh! you are walking?? so it's mai pen rai !"

You can find qualified, competent neurologists at many hospitals, including Bumrungrad, but it is necessary to do some research first rather than just walking in and seeing whomever the receptuionist directs you to (which is bound to be the least busy doctor, who may be least busy for a reason...)

Bumrungrad, Samitivej, Bangkok Hospital and Bangkok Nursing Home all have websites where you can research a doctor's qualification. Look for a neurologist who is Board Certified in neurology in a western country.

Good luck.