เน้นนาน ?

boxig

I know the word for "Emphasize" is เน้น but I heard some people pronounce it as เน้นนาน.

Is this the right spelling ?

Thanks

box

i can't recall hearing เน้นนาน, could it be เนิ่นนาน that you're thinking of (means since long ago)?

otherwise, เน้น and นาน could come up together in a sentence eg. เน้นนาน ไม่เน้นดี: 'the emphasis was on length of time, not quality' eg. a massage, an educational system.

all the best.

aanon's saying that it's possible to make a sentence with the phrase เน้นนาน. But it's much more likely that you're hearing the common expression เนิ่นนาน, which just means 'really long'. (As aanon pointed out, often used to say something like 'for a long, long time now' or 'since long ago').

aanon's saying that it's possible to make a sentence with the phrase เน้นนาน. But it's much more likely that you're hearing the common expression เนิ่นนาน, which just means 'really long'. (As aanon pointed out, often used to say something like 'for a long, long time now' or 'since long ago').

thanks rikker,

that's right. at the risk of confusing the issue, i'm saying that เน้น (which means 'to emphasise') and นาน (which means 'long [time]') are not a fixed pairing (examples of fixed pairings: ร้องไห้, ยกเว้น). rather, they are two unrelated words.

mangkorn, good point. the words เน้น and นาน could look very similar depending on font, font size etc. in case people are having such a difficulty, i think it's worth pointing out that both the tone and the vowel sound are different between เน้น(nén) and เนิ่น(nêrn).

all the best.

ps. rikker's right, a better definition for เนิ่นนาน is 'really long [time]'

Edited by aanon