Is Farangland Really That Bad

howtoescape

I know this isnt wholly Thai related, but many posts on here show an absolute hate for their country of origin, especially from us Brits. Many farangs I speak to in Thailand who have been there for sometime would sooner jump in front of a bus then return home.

I pose the question what has gone wrong with farangland be it Oz, NZ the USA, Europe or dear old blighty, or is it not that it really is that bad or changed that much its just that Thailand is so much better on the whole.

Is there anyone here who has a nice contented life in LOS and is financially secure that would happily return to farangland without any worries or does this species not exist.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love NZ. My wife and I(both born in NZ) are fortunate enough to have freehold residences in NZ and Thailand(where I work). There are things I love about both places and there are things I dislike about both places. Maintaining the balance of happiness(geographically speaking) is the key.

I know this isnt wholly Thai related, but many posts on here show an absolute hate for their country of origin, especially from us Brits. Many farangs I speak to in Thailand who have been there for sometime would sooner jump in front of a bus then return home.

I pose the question what has gone wrong with farangland be it Oz, NZ the USA, Europe or dear old blighty, or is it not that it really is that bad or changed that much its just that Thailand is so much better on the whole.

Is there anyone here who has a nice contented life in LOS and is financially secure that would happily return to farangland without any worries or does this species not exist.

As far as the British are concerned I question your premise but I suppose it depends on who you know.I over 30 years have has innumerable British aquaintances and friends mainly working in Bangkok.None of them has ever expressed a "hatred" for their homeland -far from it.Being Brits they tend not to gush patriotically or wheel out the flag like our transatlantic cousins but the pride and affection for Britain nevertheless runs deep.I accept that most of my friends are well educated and succesful in life, and have no sense of bitterness.

Now there is another segment of Brits, which I am aware of but have no substantial contact with, that may well fall into the category you describe.They see Thailand as an alternative to Britain because of the better weather together with cheap women and booze.They have little by way of cultural interests and almost always came here as visitors rather than to do a job of work.The problem for this group is that over the last ten years Britain has become a very competitive place with the clever and diligent doing extraordinarily well but the feckless and idle falling further and further behind.I expect those who hate Britain fall part of the latter group -raging against immigrants, crime, housing costs etc but really because they can't compete.

I enjoy visiting Ireland and want my son to appreciate that half of his culture.

I don't feel comfotable with extreme nationalism, but I'm proud of my place of origin.

I wouldn't want to come from anywhere else.

I love my life in Thailand too and don't have plans to live anywhere else.

I enjoy visiting Ireland and want my son to appreciate that half of his culture.

I don't feel comfotable with extreme nationalism, but I'm proud of my place of origin.

Sparing your blushes you sound exactly like one of the well balanced expatriates that in my opinion reflect the majority of those I know (as opposed to the embittered haters of their homeland).Ireland's very competitive and successful these days as well these days.

Same here really but applied to the UK, ideally I would spend half the year in the UK and half the year in Thailand but with a family and kids this would be impossible. Choosing between the two countries Thailand comes up tops because of the standard of living I can maintain up here in Chiang Mai that I would never be able to obtain in the UK.

I love the UK. I go back once a year to visit friends and family and always have a great time. I notice so many good things about the country now that I took for granted when living there. I only go back in the summer tho :o

I retired to Thailand six months ago having been a regular visitor for the last ten years or so.

I love the country and the region as a whole, and yes my pension goes a lot further here. I drink, but only socially and certainly not to excess, and do not take advantage of the local night life.

I have just been to the UK for a week visit that was arranged before my departure, and no I didn't want to stay there.

Yes, I missed my friends and family, but my family visit me in Thailand and I have friends over here. The weather was pretty miserable, and things were more expensive than I remembered, petrol at £1.05 per litre was a shock, but it's all relative as the salaries are higher. Health and safety has gone through the roof and so has political correctness, the press continue their witch hunts to improve their circulation and the country seems over regulated.

I intend to stay in Thailand but I would never knock Britain, it is my birthplace and I will return for holidays, though probably in the summer.

I have been traveling to Thailand for decades and have always regarded it as a great holiday location.

Whilst it has numerous attractions and activities that I love, an easy lay back way of life and represents great value when compared to the cost of living in Australia, I couldn't live there for any extended period of time.

I'm a true blue Aussie and our little Down Under island in the sun will always be where I hang my rubber thongs.

I like both--equally. I left the US when Bush was "elected" by the Supreme Court! But I certainly don't hate it there. I enjoy spending time at my home in the California desert and now marvel at the QUIET there, that is what I like best, but also driving on roads that feel like velvet, and other aspects of western life. But I wouldn't give up my life in Thailand for any amount of western amenities. I love this country and plan to stay here.

I live in Thailand because I make more money here then working in the US. I would go back to US if I had to, but have made it pretty clear to my management it would not be my first choice if assignment to Thailand had to end. I prefer working overseas and hope to continue that for rest of working life. Thailand is nice and is very lucrative for me, but would go most anywhere they sent me.

I will retire here in about 10 years. I cannot imagine retiring to the US, but will be able to do so if Thailand does not work out for any reason.

TH

I lived in Thailand for about 4 years. I now live in the US. I have a career, and do quite well, however, I am planning to return to Asia...for good. I may not be able to work in Thailand because they are not terribly competitive in my industry, but, I plan to work in Singapore or Malaysia and maintain a residence in Thailand.

I am not sure about the UK, but, In the US, even outside work, people are uptight these days, and have terrible attitudes. The government seems to encroach further on us every minute. It's nice to go somewhere that you can just be yourself and relax.

Hard work, and stress are part of life wherever you live. I just find Thailand has much less of it. Since I visited LOS it's never occurred to me to remain indefinitely in the US.

I have been a British expat for more than a decade now, and during that time have lived in several countries in different parts of the world as well as in Thailand.

I have never felt hatred for my native land, indeed I still sometimes feel a pride in being British, but I really don't like the place very much anymore. When I visit now, the most frequent emotion I feel is sadness. A sadness for how much Britain has changed in the last couple of decades, and how negative most of that change has been.

And before anyone anticipates it, this is not going to be a rant about asylum seekers or Eastern European immigrants. I believe that the EU has been, on balance, good for Britain. The negative change that I see when I visit is more related to the native Brits themselves, and how they have evolved.

One has to guard against rose-tinted views when looking back, but the Britain I remember was not peopled by the Brits that I see today, whose lives seem dominated by stress, alcohol and a thinly veiled undercurrent of violence.

I am sure that it is the perspective gained by seeing other ways of life, but I never realised how low the quality of life is in Britain until I left it. And yes, the climate is also a large part of the equation. To walk the streets of any northern town in the winter and see the pinched, haggard faces and the backs bent double against the cold, well, it looks like a pretty nightmarish way to grow old. I just can't see myself ever living there again.

Edited by KhunDave

I'm 70 percent mind set that I prefer living in Thailand, and 30 percent back in the States... I'm not going to sell the home, the cars, and get rid of the pets to move to Thailand permanently, not just yet.. It's just slightly difficult for me to spend more than a few months at a time in Thailand, although some times I feel like jumping under the bus when I do depart LOS...

To your questions, it's all business and boring back in the States, and pretty much I forget about everything when I'm in Thailand.. Last year, I did not know who won the Super Bowl, did not know that the Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunted died, nor Anna Nicole Smith, basically did not care what the rest of the world does, when I'm in LOS..

As far as the British are concerned I question your premise but I suppose it depends on who you know.I over 30 years have has innumerable British aquaintances and friends mainly working in Bangkok.None of them has ever expressed a "hatred" for their homeland -far from it.Being Brits they tend not to gush patriotically or wheel out the flag like our transatlantic cousins but the pride and affection for Britain nevertheless runs deep.I accept that most of my friends are well educated and succesful in life, and have no sense of bitterness.

Now there is another segment of Brits, which I am aware of but have no substantial contact with, that may well fall into the category you describe.They see Thailand as an alternative to Britain because of the better weather together with cheap women and booze.They have little by way of cultural interests and almost always came here as visitors rather than to do a job of work.The problem for this group is that over the last ten years Britain has become a very competitive place with the clever and diligent doing extraordinarily well but the feckless and idle falling further and further behind.I expect those who hate Britain fall part of the latter group -raging against immigrants, crime, housing costs etc but really because they can't compete.

Seconded (except I first came as avisitor to Asia and am now on my second work tour and love Asia not just Thailand)

I find the everything is wrong with Britain crowd are usually right wing failures - blame immigration, rising crime etc and do not see the hypocracy in their own positions.

If I had a hubby & kids, I'd like to divide our time 75% USA, 25% Thailand. USA for English, less pollution, better (primary & uni) education, parks, libraries, community activities. Thailand for the relatives, culture, knowledge of Thai, appreciation of Thai food and fruits, and the intensive high school math.

edit: typo

Edited by siamesekitty

I could go back to Texas and my family, but I won't. Nice place, good people, great warm weather, etc. But they are all too wrapped up in the rat race; Texans are far more homophobic than Thais; cost of living is too high; it would be too hard to supplement Social Security pension, etc. Nice place to visit for a few weeks, but no place to live!

In 1999 I was happily living on the beach in the Los Angeles area of California with more than 30 years in government service. After visiting Thailand I just kept coming back. I retired in 2002 and moved to Bangkok permanently. Sure I miss some of my friends but one this place gets its hooks into you some of us never leave. I love the United States and my US passport. I still exercise my right to vote (absentee) and plan to visit this fall. I can live anywhere I want in the world and re-evaluate my position often but choose to remain in Thailand. I cannot imagine ever returning to live in the US.

Basicly I think there are three main categories of people who leave their home country to live elsewhere.

You have those that leave for work in other places..

Those that get discontent with their home country.

Those that go looking for cheap booze, women and living.

I think those that leave for work are the most likely to return home and be happy. Those that get discontent with a place will probably not be happy with it if they go back and visit at a later date. The ones who go looking for cheap and easy may never be able to afford to go back even if they want to.

I personally left the US after I had worked and lived in several other countries and knew there were better places to live. Traveled around for quite years with my wife and finally settled down in Australia with a retirement visa. After 14 years Australia moved the goal post and did away with the retirement visa. They were issuing no new ones and made it clear that they could at any time deny to renew the one you have. So we looked around and had been to LOS many times so decided to live here. Since it has been 26 years since I have lived or worked in US other than family it does not feel like home now and where we could afford to go back and live there we have no desire to. Other than relatives there is not much we miss. Find LOS a very pleasant place to live and yes it has it's problems but the advantages far outweigh the problems. :o

If you have this dilemma, what will you do ?

You like/love Thailand, but you like your assets to stay in your own country.

If you have only one choice, will you sell and bring everything here ?

I will not ..

Perhaps that is the last of commitment, someone could do for Thailand

I've been wandering around since 1970 and stayed in most continents for a while. At one time I thought Italy was the best, 7 years there. Then Africa, Sudan and Ethiopia, 2 years. Then Switzerland, France, Germany, US, and then finally Aus. In the end it was my head that was the place I needed to be in......

Thailand appears, after only a couple of years with a wonderfull partner, to be the right place for me in that the culture, the religion, the people and the life style (rural) give me the chance to be .... What's the word I'm looking for?

At ease, maybe.

I don't have a lot of money and I don't need it. I've had enough of being continually set "goals" and "objectives". Told to search for "outcomes" and "providing statistics".

I've worked with hypocrits, beaurocrats and and egotistical politicians for long enough. Here, I relish simplicity and, in a way obscurity.

I love this place and its people, which is not to say that the occassional trip back to the UK and Aus. isn't enjoyable, but it's the people - family and friends - that I go to see. Nothing else.

Sorry to sound like a preacher but I've been in education for 30 years and it stinks.

pip pip

Edited by Jandajoy

all i hear is bad things about home from family and freinds ,ill let you know what its like in a month i go back for the 1st time in 10 years im expecting it to be very expensive ,thank god for plastic

Basicly I think there are three main categories of people who leave their home country to live elsewhere.

You have those that leave for work in other places..

Those that get discontent with their home country.

Those that go looking for cheap booze, women and living.

I think those that leave for work are the most likely to return home and be happy. Those that get discontent with a place will probably not be happy with it if they go back and visit at a later date. The ones who go looking for cheap and easy may never be able to afford to go back even if they want to.

I personally left the US after I had worked and lived in several other countries and knew there were better places to live. Traveled around for quite years with my wife and finally settled down in Australia with a retirement visa. After 14 years Australia moved the goal post and did away with the retirement visa. They were issuing no new ones and made it clear that they could at any time deny to renew the one you have. So we looked around and had been to LOS many times so decided to live here. Since it has been 26 years since I have lived or worked in US other than family it does not feel like home now and where we could afford to go back and live there we have no desire to. Other than relatives there is not much we miss. Find LOS a very pleasant place to live and yes it has it's problems but the advantages far outweigh the problems. :D

seems it was your own fault, you left australia, you only had to apply for a permanent residency visa , and unless you were going to be some sort of burden on the australian govt, you would have recieved it straight away, you would have even been offered australian citizenship,It sounds like my wife and I were in the same situation, now we have the best of both worlds, 6 months a year in australia and the other 6 months where ever we want, mostly thailand but the odd trip to europe and uk too. Of course after being away for along time knowhere feels like it did when you were young, we remember the good things ,, and give thanks for everyday ,no matter where we are :o Nignoy