I Have Bronchitis - Treatment?

Wrong Turn

I have bronchitis. It started on Feb. 1st, six days ago.

I am quite sure it's bronchitis with my self-diagnosis from medical websites, and I got in 2 times, seven years ago.

1. I don't smoke

2. I wear a pollution filltered mask on my motorbike

3. I avoid smoky bars (not ventilated) as much as I can.

But I do get soot and dust in my apartment, and when walking, I breathe the pollution from cars and motorbikes.

Question:

Do I have to get anti-biotics to make it go away? Or, will it naturally go away.

TIA, to anyone and all of you that can help.

Usually bronchitis is caused by a virus not a bacteria infectional so antibiotics are unlikely to be very effective. However, antibiotics are often prescribed as a precaution for bronchitis. If you go down this route, I recommend you take Zythromax, which you can buy from any drug store for around 500 baht. It is a short course antibiotic, take two tablets daily for three days. Eventhough bronchitis is usually caused by a viral infection, taking antibiotics may reduce the symptoms. Drinking plenty of water will make a huge difference as well.

Edited by youngkiwi

Usually bronchitis is caused by a virus not a bacteria infectional so antibiotics are unlikely to be very effective. However, antibiotics are often prescribed as a precaution for bronchitis. If you go down this route, I recommend you take Zythromax, which you can buy from any drug store for around 500 baht. It is a short course antibiotic, take two tablets daily for three days. Eventhough bronchitis is usually caused by a viral infection, taking antibiotics may reduce the symptoms. Drinking plenty of water will make a huge difference as well.

It's good advice and it's probably what a doctor would say.

Although I'm sure the pollution doesn't help, it's probably a broncho virus. Bed rest if you can afford it. 3-4 days inside the apartment at least.

I appreciate both of you replies.

I've avoided the anti-biotics so far, but have written down YoungKiwi's brand.

I'm drinking 4 liters of water per day, taking vitamin-c, garlic, etc., and hopefully my body can naturally fend this off.

Thanks to YK, and Moldy.

If you go to a Doctor they will undoubtedly perscribe antibiotics but like an earlier post this will not help at all. What you are doing already is great and if you can take some rest too that will help. Seems the Doctors here just want to perscribe antibio's for everything....

Hope you get well soon!

Indications of a need for antibiotics would be fever and phlegm that is yellow or green in color (coming from deep in the chest, not upper airway). If you have no fever and if the phlegm is white or clear in color then unlikely any bacterial infection.

Ginger tea with honey is helpful, along with plenty of rest.

Thanks to all of you, and Sheryl, you're very helpful.

It's a very deep cough, but there is no phlem or green or yellow color. And nothing comes out.

It seems to get worse when I:

1. Lay down horizontally (in bed)

2. Walk fast enough to breathe deeper and more quickly.

This started on the 1st of Feb., so it's been 8 days now.

I think I'm getting better. I am drinking lots of water still, and taking vitamin-c and garlic, etc.

It's a very deep cough, but there is no phlem or green or yellow color. And nothing comes out.

I think I'm getting better. I am drinking lots of water still, and taking vitamin-c and garlic, etc.

It does seem a long time for a virus to last. A deep cough usually involves some phlegm.

Are you sure it's bronchitis and not just a severe tickly cough.?

It might be best to get it checked out. 99.9% sure a transient bug though.

You need to make sure your chest is clean (ie, no fluid). Do not prolong seeing a doctor if your symptoms do not improve. It could be a ton of things. You might need to take an x-ray of the chest. Make sure your lungs are okay.

You need to make sure your chest is clean (ie, no fluid). Do not prolong seeing a doctor if your symptoms do not improve. It could be a ton of things. You might need to take an x-ray of the chest. Make sure your lungs are okay.

Well it could be a lot of things, but 99%+ it isn't

wrongturn - where did you get the pollution mask. I need one.

Thanks again, adamz, moldy, and Sheryl.

What is "tickly cough?"

The Pollution Mask

I am not in Bangkok right now. I bought my mask in Saigon, but I bet you could find it in Bangkok (or wherever you are).

The name of the brand is called NeoMask.

There is a picture of a middle aged Westerner with combed back blondish/brown hair wearing it. (I'm describing the box the mask comes in because there are fake copycats out there.)

The mask was produced in the West.

It has a filter that designed to block nano-particles. You can clean the filter, by simply dipping it in boiling water for 90 seconds every month or two.

NeoMask probably has a website.

I wear this mask when I drive my motorbike 100% of the time. I also wear it for exercise walks around the city. Without it, I could not live here. I just get too sick as I'm sensitive. Nano particles, Benzene from motorbikes, and soot, all get into our lungs and nasal passages and on our skin. It hit the liver too, probably.

It also keep the hot tropical sun off of my face. Highly recomented. They cost 75,000 Dong ($5 USD) in Saigon.

The remedy that has worked best for me is an expectorant. Available in any pharmacy. It loosens up the phlegm and you can cough it out. I get the one without cough suppressant, and I take more than the recommended dose.

The natural alternative, horehound root, doesn't seem to be available here. I used that twice to get over a persistent winter cough. Half an hour after taking it I was as watery as bargirl's ladydrink.

As a sufferer of bronchitis since childhood, my advice is to ignore all these quacks .. wait .. wait wait .. take it easy and it will go away by itself.

Antibiotics for Bronchitis?? .. crap! .. these guys have been in LOS too long where Thais take Antibiotics for EVERYTHING! .. bad idea. It increases your tolerance to antibiotics .. and so .. its less effective when you REALLY need the stuff.

If breathing is a problem .. go get a bronchial dilater syrup like "Brondichon" or similar. Maybe even the old "Ventilan" spray for asthmatics will help, but use it in moderation.

:o

The remedy that has worked best for me is an expectorant. Available in any pharmacy. It loosens up the phlegm and you can cough it out. I get the one without cough suppressant, and I take more than the recommended dose.

The natural alternative, horehound root, doesn't seem to be available here. I used that twice to get over a persistent winter cough. Half an hour after taking it I was as watery as bargirl's ladydrink.

Bronchitis has nothing to do with "flem" .. an expectorant is useless .. unless you have a chest infection as well. Bronchitis is constriction of the bronchial tubes .. similar to asthma. Like I said in the previous post .. you need a bronchial dilator syrup. (or ventilan)

:o

Thanks again, adamz, moldy, and Sheryl.

What is "tickly cough?"

The Pollution Mask

I am not in Bangkok right now. I bought my mask in Saigon, but I bet you could find it in Bangkok (or wherever you are).

The name of the brand is called NeoMask.

There is a picture of a middle aged Westerner with combed back blondish/brown hair wearing it. (I'm describing the box the mask comes in because there are fake copycats out there.)

The mask was produced in the West.

It has a filter that designed to block nano-particles. You can clean the filter, by simply dipping it in boiling water for 90 seconds every month or two.

NeoMask probably has a website.

I wear this mask when I drive my motorbike 100% of the time. I also wear it for exercise walks around the city. Without it, I could not live here. I just get too sick as I'm sensitive. Nano particles, Benzene from motorbikes, and soot, all get into our lungs and nasal passages and on our skin. It hit the liver too, probably.

It also keep the hot tropical sun off of my face. Highly recomented. They cost 75,000 Dong ($5 USD) in Saigon.

Where would I buy one, what sort of shop?

Tickly cough: this is a dry cough often felt in the upper air tube, leading from the bronchials. When we have a cold, sore throat, etc, this area often remains agitated for a couple of weeks.

The air pollution will not help, mask or not. You need rest and respite from pollution.

Nothing you describe suggests a need for antibiotics. I am also inclined to doubt it is bronchitis.

Possibilities that come to mind are (1) post-nasal drip from allergy or reaction to pollution (whoch will irritate and produce a chronic dry cough, and is consistent with beling worse when you lie down) or

(2) a cardiac problem. What is your age and do you have any hostory of hearty disease or high blood pressure?

Also are you on any long term medications? There are some -- including some antihypertensives -- that will produce a troubelsome cough.

Nothing you describe suggests a need for antibiotics. I am also inclined to doubt it is bronchitis.

Possibilities that come to mind are (1) post-nasal drip from allergy or reaction to pollution (whoch will irritate and produce a chronic dry cough, and is consistent with beling worse when you lie down) or

(2) a cardiac problem. What is your age and do you have any hostory of hearty disease or high blood pressure?

Also are you on any long term medications? There are some -- including some antihypertensives -- that will produce a troubelsome cough.

Thanks to other who replied above.

Thanks for the questions Sheryl

I agree, I don't think it's bronchitis now.

50 lbs. overweight, I think, because I'm 5.9" and 235 lbs.

My dad takes high blood pressure medication. He's been taking it for years.

Post nasal drip: I have had sneezing and a runny nose, consistently for weeks. Not everyday, but say, 4 times per week.

Can dust in my apartment cause this also? I am allergic to house dust.

Blood pressure: I am making an assumption, because I haven't had my blood pressure checked in about a year. I think it may be on the high side.

Recently, I've reduced sodium, drink 4+ liters of water per day, and eat Oats 5x per week for breakfast.

I drink about 5 big bottles of beer per night with friends. Rarely drink at home at all.

Thanks, Sheryl.

Post nasal drip: I have had sneezing and a runny nose, consistently for weeks. Not everyday, but say, 4 times per week.

Well sure, if your apartment is particularly dusty. If you feel dust mites are an issue, you need to have your apartment cleaned (with you not in it). In addition, you should wash and air your bed linen on a regular basis.

If what you are experiencing is worse than you experience in your hoime country then it's a good bet we're looking for another cause, and inevitably the finger points at traffic pollution. It really is insidious and the effects often felt later in the day. The effects are also cumulative.

I can't tell u if u need antibiotics, but I can tell you that the post regarding the dose of Zithromax was wrong.

It is two pills for the first day, and 1 pill for the next 4 days. Zithro is one of my favorite antibiotics for resperatory issues for me. I can take it with little issues. I liked the longer regime better, (easier on my body) but I do not think it is available any more.

I just went through something similar, all the way down to self-diagnosis with the help of friends and Sheryl, and it hit me exactly on New Year's Eve, and I am just feeling 99 percent better this week. It was hel_l, and lasted a very long time.

However, all of my symptoms were very consistent with bronchitis, but I believe my allergies may have helped it morph into a case of sinusitis at the end. I waited a full 4 weeks before getting antibiotics, but with the sinusitis symptoms I couldn't stand it anymore. My friend who is a doctor prescribed my a course of amoxycillin, 3X a day, for 10 days. I finished it on Friday. I am finally feeling better. At one point, I was worried that I had pneumonia. Apparently, there is also some kind of superbug going around that starts like a simple cold, ends, and then reappears weeks later as the horrendous virus that sucks all of the life out of you, for a full month or several weeks. I believe my illness started as a virus, and became bacterial.

My symptoms:

At first - slight chills, exhaustion, dry, hacking cough, very sore, dry throat.

Progressed to deep, wet coughs, green-yellow sputum with streaks of blood, extreme fatigue, - the life sucked out of me. This lasted for the better part of January.

In the last weeks: very, very dry throat, post-nasal drip, gagging, hacking and throwing up the stuff - yeeech! Red, puffy eyes, headaches, could not eat without gagging, and bringing that stuff up. Pure misery.

Finally feel up to 95 to 99% better the last few days, so from Jan. 1 to about Feb. 9th - so that is five, frickin' weeks!

Good luck to you. I drank plenty of water, had garlic, oranges, ginger, nutrition - none of my usual tricks could beat this one back. I needed the antibiotics.

I appreciate both of you replies.

I've avoided the anti-biotics so far, but have written down YoungKiwi's brand.

I'm drinking 4 liters of water per day, taking vitamin-c, garlic, etc., and hopefully my body can naturally fend this off.

Thanks to YK, and Moldy.

Hey Wrong Turn,

My wife just got over a case of bronchitis and she drank alot of tea and honey and lots of Robitussin DM (it's an exporant) but make sure you avoid anything with

a codeine base. Her cough gradually went away after about 3 weeks. Good luck

Mike

I just went through something similar, all the way down to self-diagnosis with the help of friends and Sheryl, and it hit me exactly on New Year's Eve, and I am just feeling 99 percent better this week. It was hel_l, and lasted a very long time.

However, all of my symptoms were very consistent with bronchitis, but I believe my allergies may have helped it morph into a case of sinusitis at the end. I waited a full 4 weeks before getting antibiotics, but with the sinusitis symptoms I couldn't stand it anymore. My friend who is a doctor prescribed my a course of amoxycillin, 3X a day, for 10 days. I finished it on Friday. I am finally feeling better. At one point, I was worried that I had pneumonia. Apparently, there is also some kind of superbug going around that starts like a simple cold, ends, and then reappears weeks later as the horrendous virus that sucks all of the life out of you, for a full month or several weeks. I believe my illness started as a virus, and became bacterial.

My symptoms:

At first - slight chills, exhaustion, dry, hacking cough, very sore, dry throat.

Progressed to deep, wet coughs, green-yellow sputum with streaks of blood, extreme fatigue, - the life sucked out of me. This lasted for the better part of January.

In the last weeks: very, very dry throat, post-nasal drip, gagging, hacking and throwing up the stuff - yeeech! Red, puffy eyes, headaches, could not eat without gagging, and bringing that stuff up. Pure misery.

Finally feel up to 95 to 99% better the last few days, so from Jan. 1 to about Feb. 9th - so that is five, frickin' weeks!

Good luck to you. I drank plenty of water, had garlic, oranges, ginger, nutrition - none of my usual tricks could beat this one back. I needed the antibiotics.

Yes I believe this is a very worthy posting.

URTIs are dismissed as a low level infection, but the misery they cause is obvious enough.

Sinusitis is a vague illness with a big effect.

It also shows the real value of antibiotics, when used sensibly.

Blood pressure: I am making an assumption, because I haven't had my blood pressure checked in about a year. I think it may be on the high side.

Recently, I've reduced sodium, drink 4+ liters of water per day, and eat Oats 5x per week for breakfast.

I drink about 5 big bottles of beer per night with friends. Rarely drink at home at all.

Thanks, Sheryl.

Overweight with a family history of hypertension and you haven't had your BP checked in a year = time for a complete physical, there are some excellent packages available, personally I prefer the Wellness Center at Samitivej. In your case I recommend that you get a stress test as well as the EKG. 2 reasons: one, the combination of overweight and family hostroy put you at high risk for cardiovascular disease and 2nd, although you are probably just suffering from an annoying post-nasal drip, the fact that you have problems after walking fast could be a sign of a heart problem. So get checked up.

As for the runny nose/cough, allergy and irritation of the throat from post-nasal drip are very likely. You can see an ENT specialist if you like. Or you could try a tab of Zyrtec each bedtime first. Above all (wearing a mask while you are at it, or better yet hiring someone else to do it) get rid of all the dust in your apartment and keep it dust free. If there are any carpets, make sure they are thoroughly vacuumed (they can harbor dust mites). Don't forget behind and under furniture especially around where you sleep. And clean any a/c filters.

Thanks, Sheryl.

Overweight with a family history of hypertension and you haven't had your BP checked in a year = time for a complete physical, there are some excellent packages available, personally I prefer the Wellness Center at Samitivej. In your case I recommend that you get a stress test as well as the EKG. 2 reasons: one, the combination of overweight and family hostroy put you at high risk for cardiovascular disease and 2nd, although you are probably just suffering from an annoying post-nasal drip, the fact that you have problems after walking fast could be a sign of a heart problem. So get checked up.

As for the runny nose/cough, allergy and irritation of the throat from post-nasal drip are very likely. You can see an ENT specialist if you like. Or you could try a tab of Zyrtec each bedtime first. Above all (wearing a mask while you are at it, or better yet hiring someone else to do it) get rid of all the dust in your apartment and keep it dust free. If there are any carpets, make sure they are thoroughly vacuumed (they can harbor dust mites). Don't forget behind and under furniture especially around where you sleep. And clean any a/c filters.

Thanks for the advice, Sheryl. I appreciate it. I'll get started on some of these things, right away. Thanks, WT.

Personally, unless it's an emergency, I steer well clear of doctors.

There are some traditional folk/home cures for many conditions here... www.earthclinic.com. Many are free or cost pennies.

It's NOT commercial so I hope the moderators allow it.

Good health!

• 2 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but i have just been diagnosed with Bronchitis by one of the doctors at BNH. Hes given me anti-biotics and a couple of other things, i also have a bad sinus infection which doesn't help things... looks like im gunna be off work for a few days :o

Thanks, Sheryl.

Thanks for the advice, Sheryl. I appreciate it. I'll get started on some of these things, right away. Thanks, WT.

It's definitely worth keeping these threads going. I agree URTI are not low level in effect - downright wearing.

I've noticed time and time again that the nose is involved. So would recommend nasal rinsing, and timely use of a decongestant spray to avert blockage. Your allergy could be no more than narrow nasal passages that get easily blocked and infected. Yes get a physical for sure. Least ways you'll know.

Other than that then I think antibiotics are a very valid medicine if not overused. Try switching antibiotics too for repetitive infections.

Developing your own regime over a period of time is the key. After a while you get to know triggers, and spot the first sign of problems. For the first time I was able to head off an infection this week- hooray broke the chain!

Lifestyle changes may be called for and I'm sorry some things like the Mbike may need to go.(traffic pollution).