Cooking People! Yes It's True

typhoon

No BS, a few months ago, a girl just down the road had a accident on her motor bike, not badly hurt, but well shocked, her family lay her down on a make shift wooden table, covered with loads of blankets, went and and got a pile of special leaves and lit a fire beneath her, she lay there for about 4 hours and looked well cooked,red in the face and sweating like I've never seen before.

The next day she seemed fine. Is this something they just do in the north east? anybody else witnessed this?

I found the whole thing very strange.

Regards. :o

No BS, a few months ago, a girl just down the road had a accident on her motor bike, not badly hurt, but well shocked, her family lay her down on a make shift wooden table, covered with loads of blankets, went and and got a pile of special leaves and lit a fire beneath her, she lay there for about 4 hours and looked well cooked,red in the face and sweating like I've never seen before.

The next day she seemed fine. Is this something they just do in the north east? anybody else witnessed this?

I found the whole thing very strange.

Regards. :o

I have heard of it from my wife but never seen it.

My wife tells me that she had it done after childbirth. I witnessed it a couple of years ago when my brother in law had a bad back and the mother in law set it all up for him on the bamboo bed and he lay there for a while with the charcoal burner under the bed.

They seem to believe in it

i've heard of it but again not seen it,thought it was an urban legend..

No its not :D

As sezzo says it is sometimes done after childbirth (If you want to search somebody recently put on here a picture of their wife getting this done), or any other traumatic event such as an accident.

Issan Sauna :o

My ex was from Isaan, had a motorbike accident about 2 years ago - she was driving and caught the worst of it, I was p1ssed on the back and had only a few nasty cuts.

The family descended from Isaan to Pattaya with box loads of leaves and herbs. Went and bought a bamboo bed and 2 barbecque pots and set this up in the front garden. Laid out all the leaves, scattered numerous herbs etc over that, covered with a wet sheet. The ex had to lay on it for 3 days and nights, with only the occassional break when they made me lie on it for a few hours at a time. That was all I could bear as it was bloody hot.

Father was sat there for 72 hours feeding the fires, making sure they didn't go out. When it got a bit too hot they would put pans of water over the flames so you got steamed instead of grilled.

Many passing neighbours stopped to see what was going on, as most of the Thai's had not seen this before, so I guess it is only practised in a small area (her family lived about 150k NE of Kon Kaen).

Didn't make me feel any better, but they certainly believed in it.

My wife tells me that she had it done after childbirth. I witnessed it a couple of years ago when my brother in law had a bad back and the mother in law set it all up for him on the bamboo bed and he lay there for a while with the charcoal burner under the bed.

They seem to believe in it

Hi

My sister-in-law has been sleeping on a bamboo bed since having her baby.Bed was put on blocks and as previously stated, a charcoal burner on the go day and night! ( I joked with her that I liked B.B.Q'd food).

This went on for about a month or two and anytime either mum or child went out at night, they both had to cover their heads!! Dont understand any of this but, Mai pen Rai.

Dave

It is kind of a herbal sauna, usually done after an accident like a motor bike accident or falling from a tree and the like.

The custom to sleep near a fire after a child birth, is different: there are no herbs or leaves, just the heat.

The herbal sauna is practiced in our village whenever appropriate, but the after-birth-sleeping-with-a-fire is now out of fashion.

Regards

Thedi

On another recent topic I received a lot of stick for daring to say the Thais were a strange breed,

This rather proves my point!

i could name a number of strange customs farangs indulge in. or any other group of people for that matter.

On another recent topic I received a lot of stick for daring to say the Thais were a strange breed,

i could name a number of strange customs farangs indulge in. or any other group of people for that matter.

I know a country where people pay a shopkeeper who then directs them to a small room. They then lay on a metal "bed" that is lined with florescent tubes and the lid is closed on them. They do this numerous times until their skin turns brown. My Thai G/F thought this was strange indeed. :o

I well recall the following saying. Don't recall its origin.

"They're all daft 'cept me and thee, and thee's a bit peculiar"

Edited by prakhonchai nick

Or as a Hobbit said looking at the departing Gandolf " Queer as folk" but I beleive that's a Yorkshire saying anyhow.

Or as a Hobbit said looking at the departing Gandolf " Queer as folk" but I beleive that's a Yorkshire saying anyhow.

Or was it a reference to Sir Ian Macellen?

Last year i posted a picture of my wife being cooked after she gave birth. I have also seen others being cooked on a bed of leaves after bike accidents. It's not only quite common, it's very normal where i live.

Nidge

Hey we just got to get into Califonia tell them it cures everything, hey they pay big bucks to be packed into mud, so this should do just fine as long as they can put it on thier credit cards. :o

Many a true word is spoken in jest Ray, big bucks are being made with worse ideas than that. :D

cheers

ozzy

I actually went through that with my GF after our motorcycle accident.

nobody around seemed estonished, though it was the 1st time I heard about it it seemed usual to the neighbours and the passers-by in the village.

BTW, GF did stand it for looooong.on my part, while feeling it was actually doing some good, I couldn't really stand there for more than 20mns.relaxing though

although we were not badly hurt, GF's mother did insist we do it for 3 days (that's 1 or 2 times a day, not standing there for 3 days)

the difficult part is to have somebody watch the fire as it grows :o

otherwise, the smell is good.

my wife was cooked after each child birth(2) ,, certainly has done her no harm ,,, except maybe she was overcooked at the base of her spine ,, she has a red mark a couple of inches in diameter ,, it gives her no trouble ,,, and as l type ,,, our niece ,, who gave birth last saturday ,, is at home being cooked now ,,, a lot of mind over matter ,, if they believe it will help ,, it will :o

cheers

egg

my wife was cooked after each child birth(2) ,, certainly has done her no harm ,,, except maybe she was overcooked at the base of her spine ,, she has a red mark a couple of inches in diameter ,, it gives her no trouble ,,, and as l type ,,, our niece ,, who gave birth last saturday ,, is at home being cooked now ,,, a lot of mind over matter ,, if they believe it will help ,, it will :o

cheers

egg

Apologies to all but mau mak mak tonight

Roast Lamb and roast potatoes - aloy mak mak!