Gmrs

Phil Conners

GMRS - General Mobile Radio Service - are small, cheap walkie-talkie style radios in the UHF range usable within a 20-30 km range. They're very handy to stay in contact with your spouse/kids over short/medium distances without paying 3baht per minute.

But are they legal here?

I guess not, but though I'd better ask...

I use a set of radio's working on the 245 Mhz band. These are free to use in Thailand without a license, you just have to buy them over here as they have to have an approval sticker from the Thai radio department. You can get them for around 3000 Baht/piece depending on the brand and capabilities. Some of them have encryption built in so others can't listen in on your conversations!

Range is around 30 Km if absolutely no obstructions, but practically count on around 4-5 Km in built up area's. Battery's go down fast if you talk a lot, standby around 12 hours...

Hi Madsere,

More info on following link about the sets I use in Thailand:

http://www.hyt.com.cn/en/03products/open1688.htm

According to next link the price would be around 100 Pounds per set in the UK which equates to approx. 7500 Baht. (I paid 5200 Baht/set)

http://www.maximonsolutions.com/hyttc-1688.htm

An added advantage on the ones you buy in Thailand is that they allow a transmitter output of 2 Watt over here. Hence the manufacturer unlocked a power setting in the menu enabling this high powersetting, giving you a big increase in range...

Believe me, the capabilities of these sets are way better then the 600 Baht radios you can buy anywhere...

Madsere,

GMRS is certainly not free of licence in the US !

http://www.provide.net/~prsg/wi-gmrs.htm#Obtain

It is however in Thailand!!!

The model shown in the link you provide is one of the basic models...

Main advantage from the more expensive ones is the CTCSS system.

In short this means that apart from being able to choose between 22 or so channels, you transmit with an identifier code.

Only radio's with the same identifier code programmed will receive your transmission.

Other radios will not receive even if they are tuned in on the same channel!

And your radio will not make any noise even if their is some security guard jabbering away on the same channel (but different or no ctcss code)

Believe me, since it is unlicensed in Thailand it seems every private organisation is using them, there is simply no channel available without somebody talking on it when you are in a poulated area! The radio's without ctcss will drive you nuts as there would hardly be any silence!

I use them as communication between staff on a yacht and the shore. Works perfect and free to use :o

Just found out it can be license free in Europe, but only on a very limited set of channels and with the before mentioned limitation of a max. power of 500mW. This would limit your range to probably only 500m in built up area's...

No such limit in Thailand, but only a set bought over here will have the 2 Watt mode available.

And yes, you certainly would not want to get caught with a radio in Thailand without a sticker from the Thai radio department. A friend got a very expensive radio confiscated when he tried to bring it in the country, and was fined 25000 Baht (with receipt!!)

The same radio bought over here would have been license free....