Triton Versus Navara; Vigo; Ranger

trucklover

:o greetings! hello to all. I am just new in this site. I'm planning to buy a pick up truck. I still not decided yet what to buy. Appreciate your help which pick up truck leads when it comes to: durability, power performance, precision in handling. And the best of all is value for money. Thanks

:D greetings! hello to all. I am just new in this site. I'm planning to buy a pick up truck. I still not decided yet what to buy. Appreciate your help which pick up truck leads when it comes to: durability, power performance, precision in handling. And the best of all is value for money. Thanks

Hi trucklover and :o

You have asked the 6 million dollar question.

I could practically tell you who on this site will go for what truck and still you will be not much more wiser!

Fords/Mazda are probably less common over here cos Thia's don't like them. Both good trucks. Chevy has just had minimal front-end change(some preferred the distinctive 'split' lights). Nissan have a good name in UK and fairly new design. Isuzu got 'projector' lights standard, reliable, then top seller Vigo-well built& every farmer wants one(except in Sweden). :D

I would suggest test driving the lot,see what extras are offered(go for many!) and see what feels responsive,comfortable and meets your price-range

:D

Dave (and I didn't even tell you which one I went for!)

Test drive, test drive, test drive. Prices go up, specs change, freebies change. Thus try out all of them and go for the one you like. They are all pretty much the same, so go for the one that you prefer/offers the best value/has the best extras.

Probably the more difficult choice is space cab versus 4 door, engine size, raised or not raised suspension, 4wd or not 4wd. I chose 4 door not raised no 4wd because I do lots of long distance high speed driving and need the extra cabin space, while if you spend most of your time on country dirt tracks you probably want a raised one. You probably only need 4wd if you are really off road; my first pickup was 4wd and the front diff rubber boot split on one side, and since I rarely used 4wd (living in the country at the time), I vowed never to buy 4wd again (that was an Isuzu; current one is the Triton).

You probably dont want a truck for more than 10 years? Thus all of them will last that long, so no need to go for the Isuzu which will probably last 30 years (loads of steel in Highlander, which means long lasting, at the sacrifice to fuel efficiency and flexibility in the chassis to give a more smoother ride).

Thats my opinion based on 13 years in LOS. Good luck with your shopping :o

Edited by MaiChai

I wonder about the longevity of the Mistubishi Triton, as my father-in-law has a Cyclone (two generations before Triton) that's about 16 years old with more than 500,000 km's on it. That Cyclone starts every time you turn the key and runs pretty well. I would imagine the Triton would have a similar lifespan coupled with the advantages of more recent technology.

From personal experience I have had a Ford Ranger more than 6 years now with 165,000 km on the clock. It has been mostly trouble free with minor dents and scars (all mine and none of my wifes). I had the front supension legs replaced together as one was faulty and I paid for the other. The radiator developed a leak so I replaced that last year.

I replaced the battery every couple of years and all the tyres (Michelin) I changed at 120,000 km.

I had a Toyota Vigo for 4 months in Papua New Guinea last year and it was like driving a barge. I don't like the Isuzu as I have driven my father-in-laws quite a lot and to me the Mitsubishi Triton is downright ugly. The Mazda is a Ford or the other way around and if I had the money lying around I would but the new Ford Ranger Wildtrak.

However this is just me personally. :o:D :D

Others will swear by Toyota, Mitsu etc.

Test drive them all and remember servicing is also where you live. Up here near Khampaeng Phet I usually go down to Nakhon Sawan 125 km away as I have been going there for years though there is now a dealer in KPP but I live out in the boonies.

In the cities you wouldn't really need a pickup truck.

I wonder about the longevity of the Mistubishi Triton, as my father-in-law has a Cyclone (two generations before Triton) that's about 16 years old with more than 500,000 km's on it. That Cyclone starts every time you turn the key and runs pretty well. I would imagine the Triton would have a similar lifespan coupled with the advantages of more recent technology.

Similarly my brother-in-law's Mitsubishi L200 pickup. More than 500,000 kms on the clock also.........and still with the original engine, gearbox and differential.

Think about the Lisbon - Dakar Rally. Every year Mitsubishi wins this event hands down and that must say something for reliability. Last time(2007), Mitsubishi took six of the first 12 places and is the most successful entrant in the race history, including winning the race in the last 7 years straight.

I would suggest test driving the lot,see what extras are offered(go for many!) and see what feels responsive,comfortable and meets your price-range

and eye!

Good advice Mr. LS-GT :bah:

Mr. LS :D

DOH!

My cover has been blown ! :o:D:D

Note to self :- Don't tell em your name, Pike ! :D

I have the same "problem" and I think I will buy a Navara 4x4 LE KingCab, because you get much more for your money (Xenon lights, 6-CD changer, 6 gear, 403 Nm, 174 HP with only 2.5 L,Open Cab all incl.) and the loss in value I think will be the same.

Vigo is very dangerous (moose test in sweden).

Bagsida

174 HP with only 2.5 L

that in itself could be a problem, too much HP for only a small sized engine, putting a lot of stress on the parts there, thats another consideration, for increased maintenance costs. i am always skeptical of when dealerships offer cars with all these extras, which in fact they are not actually worth that much, and kind of detracts you from the what you are actually buying, the car underneath.... just a thought.. :o

Similarly my brother-in-law's Mitsubishi L200 pickup. More than 500,000 kms on the clock also.........and still with the original engine, gearbox and differential.

Think about the Lisbon - Dakar Rally. Every year Mitsubishi wins this event hands down and that must say something for reliability. Last time(2007), Mitsubishi took six of the first 12 places and is the most successful entrant in the race history, including winning the race in the last 7 years straight.

I've had a 4x4 Ford Ranger for 5 years now, apart from the sister-inlaw crashing it into a fence and the wife over-heating it (siezed thermostat) every thing great, she's a beaut...

Did the OP mention he wanted to enter the Dakar Rally? :o

174 HP with only 2.5 L

that in itself could be a problem, too much HP for only a small sized engine, putting a lot of stress on the parts there, thats another consideration, for increased maintenance costs. i am always skeptical of when dealerships offer cars with all these extras, which in fact they are not actually worth that much, and kind of detracts you from the what you are actually buying, the car underneath.... just a thought.. :o

That´s not a problem - my Audi A3 Turbo Diesel had 131 HP with 1.9 L and had no problem in 7 years (131HP/1.9=68HP/L, 174HP/2.5=69.5HP/L) - with new technologie I think this is possible without problems.

Bagsida

174 HP with only 2.5 L

That´s not a problem - my Audi A3 Turbo Diesel had 131 HP with 1.9 L and had no problem in 7 years (131HP/1.9=68HP/L, 174HP/2.5=69.5HP/L) - with new technologie I think this is possible without problems.

Bagsida

but then an A3 is not the same size or weight of a big ol' pickup, plus its not an Audi its a nissan, zee Germans make quality motors (and meat and beer but thats another forum)... like i say its just a consideration, am just passing on what i have read and heard.

Edited by Lobin

Taijitu....where has your brother-in-law done most of his driving? My father-in-law has taken that Mitsubishi Cyclone all over Thailand. That engine just doesn't quit and neither does the turbocharger. The turbocharger on his Toyota Hilux Tiger (2001) model quit around 200,000 km and cost 30,000 Baht to replace.

Are you using your personal experience and trying to generalise from it?

There are lots of those Tiger trucks around, what percentage of them has turbocharger problems? How many Mitsu Cyclons are there? Are they all bullet proof, too?

But yours is an intersting factoid anyway.

Does anyone know a website that compares current pics, basic specs and prices of the pick ups in thailand?

I would use the pick up mostly for long distance travel around thailand - I have a car for regular town use - and I wouldn't want to be deterred from going off road or onto tracks if I want to. My question is how necessary is the raised suspension? (As for the 4wd - I don't want it.)

Secondly is the pick up no different or harder to get used to (when I'll be otherwise driving my mcuh smaller car) than an suv like the Fortuner?

Does anyone know a website that compares current pics, basic specs and prices of the pick ups in thailand?

I would use the pick up mostly for long distance travel around thailand - I have a car for regular town use - and I wouldn't want to be deterred from going off road or onto tracks if I want to. My question is how necessary is the raised suspension? (As for the 4wd - I don't want it.)

Secondly is the pick up no different or harder to get used to (when I'll be otherwise driving my mcuh smaller car) than an suv like the Fortuner?

The high ground clearance is an option for pick ups. There is really not much reason to have that except that some people think it looks better. As far as comfortable driving, my wife would rather drive the pickup than the car. She says she feels safer and can see better. I might add that the pickup is a manual transmission and the car is an automatic.

Added - I take the car on long distance trips because it is more comfortable and safer at higher speeds. I too prefer the truck for short trips because it's kind of like an old shoe and feels good.

Edited by Gary A

Plus...I'm not generalizing that Hilux Tigers all have turbo problems, but you have to know what the dealership told my father-in-law. They said that "The turbocharger only lasts 200,000 kilometers and must be replaced." Perhaps they were either covering up a design flaw or wouldn't admit that his particular unit was a defect.

As for the Cyclones, they're not bullet proof body wise but the one my father-in-law owns is bullet proof mechanically. This can also be said of his Nissan which dates from 1995 (think it's called "Big M"). The Nissan has no turbocharger, but has well over 300,000 kilometers on the clock and is still going strong.

The high ground clearance is an option for pick ups. There is really not much reason to have that except that some people think it looks better. As far as comfortable driving, my wife would rather drive the pickup than the car. She says she feels safer and can see better. I might add that the pickup is a manual transmission and the car is an automatic.

Added - I take the car on long distance trips because it is more comfortable and safer at higher speeds. I too prefer the truck for short trips because it's kind of like an old shoe and feels good.

Thanks for your comments on my queries.

I would choose the manual too - and my car's an automatic too. Maybe your use of the two does make more sense. But the car safer at high speed? You mean surer handling I guess.

So the high ground clearance (on pick ups) isn't going to be much practical use - and the pick up without the extra clearance will handle a pot holed track well enough.

Is your (diesel?) pickup more/less economical on fuel cost as your car?

Thanks for your comments on my queries.

I would choose the manual too - and my car's an automatic too. Maybe your use of the two does make more sense. But the car safer at high speed? You mean surer handling I guess.

So the high ground clearance (on pick ups) isn't going to be much practical use - and the pick up without the extra clearance will handle a pot holed track well enough.

Is your (diesel?) pickup more/less economical on fuel cost as your car?

The car has air bags on both sides and the unibody construction makes the passenger area safer than the ladder frame on a truck. The the car is also much more nimble.

The higher ground clearance for a 4X4 makes sense when you are in the mud. Two wheel drive pickups are useless in the mud. If you hit a pothole deep enough to bottom out a regular truck, you have bigger problems than ground clearance.

Yes, my diesel pickup gets more kilometers to a liter than my gasoline engine car especially when using the truck for short trips.

I have the same "problem" and I think I will buy a Navara 4x4 LE KingCab, because you get much more for your money (Xenon lights, 6-CD changer, 6 gear, 403 Nm, 174 HP with only 2.5 L,Open Cab all incl.) and the loss in value I think will be the same.

Bagsida

i dont think you will find the navara has xenon lights ,.

The car has air bags on both sides and the unibody construction makes the passenger area safer than the ladder frame on a truck. The the car is also much more nimble.

The higher ground clearance for a 4X4 makes sense when you are in the mud. Two wheel drive pickups are useless in the mud. If you hit a pothole deep enough to bottom out a regular truck, you have bigger problems than ground clearance.

Yes, my diesel pickup gets more kilometers to a liter than my gasoline engine car especially when using the truck for short trips.

Yes, all that makes sense. Thanks for passing on the info - I found it useful.

Bagsida

i dont think you will find the navara has xenon lights ,.

Yes shure - the Navara 4WD LE has Xenon Headlights.

Bagsida

The new BT-50 looks a bit like the Ford F-150 (a great truck). The Ford Ranger/Mazda Fighter seems to be a solid pickup and is cheaper than some of the other brands. Given the durability of the older Mitsubishi pickups, I'm interested in how well the Triton runs.