Police Ready To Arrest Breakers Of Smoking Ban From Feb 10

george

I hope the foreign volunteer police in Pattaya are non smokers, they be do gooders so suspect they are.

This will be a great campaign for them to take under their wings.

The times are a changin for you weak minded people. But look at it from a positive point. You are all too weak to stop on your own, no will power, no control over your own bodies and what you do. Now you will be forced into it in the places that you love to smoke so much.

My heart feels for you all, really it does, snigger.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched my grandfather gasp for air the last 16 years of his life because smoking had destroyed his lungs. Blue face, oxygen mask, that wide-eyed look of terror, thinking you can't get enough breath during each gasp. Must be something like head under water or being smothered by a murderer with a pillow in your face.

It was a living hel_l. It cured me of ever wanted to take even one puff. I would recommend for every smoker trying to quit, to visit a cancer ward. It just might do the trick!

<deleted> is everyone complaining, smoke as much as you like, its still gona be better then taking a strole down the road, with all those shit busses, taxis, cars, motorbikes and god knows what else.

face it, everyone has had a reduced life expectency by taking a walk in any place in bangkok...smoking is first a right that people enjoy, and stripping that away from them when going out is.....DUMB.

Another selfish, inconsiderate smoker.

If you believe your post, it proves, and I agree..........

YOU are dumb.

What i cant stand is the smell from a smokers breath, his clothes when just exited a car he has been smoking in and that phflem like cough some have, i could go on, the nicotine fingers etc, dont they see it ? or dont they care,. its an awful habit, and thats what it is, a habit, the government are trying to wean you off it for your own good, i dare one of you to disagree and tell me its good for you, i have heard some right <deleted> on here, like non smokers being boorish etc, what a crock, ..i was 21 whaen i realised it was a filthy habit that could take me to an early grave, how old are you ?

Does the smoking ban effect outdoor seating areas of pubs/restos/other venues? what about beer-bars?

I've been talking to a friend yesterday night about this. He own a totally open bar with live music, no aircon just fans. He had a visit from the BiB recently and they explained about the smoking ban. To his surprise (and to mine) smoking will not be allowed in his bar anymore. He has to remove all ashtrays. If some guest however decide to smoke they could be fined 2,000 Bht. As the owner will offer no ashtrays he would not be fined.

What a joke. This bar is almost under the blue sky, open everywhere, even some outside seating without a roof. I will be a big big story to enforce the law. For my own, I will at least continue to smoke in such king of entertainment venues. I understand and respect not to smoke in aircon restaurants, but banning smoking in an open beer bar is really a joke. Thailand just now does everything possible to scare off tourists. :o

It should be up to the owner of the establishment. I believe there is room for both smoke-free and smoke-filled pubs, bars, and discos. If as a business owner prefers a smoke-free environment and feels that enough potential customers do as well, then by all means enforce such a rule, but it's not right for the government to shove it down everyone's throat -- especially here in Thailand, where the air is often so filled with smoke from the absolutely irresponsible and constant burning of garbage, it's sometimes hard to breath. It would be nice to see the lawmakers here get their heads out of the clouds (smoke clouds, I assume) for once and actually tackle some sensible issues or do something about the laws that exist. I consistently see 10 to 15-year-old children speeding on their motor scooters with no helmet on while going against traffic . They fly by a BIB and he doesn't even bat an eye. They smash into a car driven by a farang, and it's the farang's fault. It would be nice to see the elected representatives in government actually earn their pay and make laws that will benefit the people who pay their salaries and put pressure on the police to enforce the ones that already exist.

Again.........

So they are soooo concerned about getting exposed to second-hand smoke WHILE GETTING DRUNK IN THE PUB.

Logical, no???

I am for a TOTAL BAN ON ALCOHOL, STARTING IMMEDIATELY. And leave the smokers in peace, they do NOT cause accidents, fights etc.

Regards.....

Thanh (non-smoker by the way but don't mind it the least bit)

I have to agree with you. Smoking turns you into a person who smells (and slowly but quietly dies of cancer).

But alcohol turns people into...... well look around at what you saw on your last night out...

My last night out i saw a hel_l of a lot of smoking coke-drinkers in DJ Station. Lots of drunk guys too. And i personally still prefer someone's clothes to reek of smoke (because those can be taken off and deposited on the balcony) than someone's breath reeking of beer or whiskey (that smell tends to stay even thru a 15-minute toothbrushing session followed by a thorough Listerine-abuse). And the next-morning-hangover i can also do without, thank you very much.

Oh and Alcohol turns people into the mess found in totaled car wrecks, the knife-wielding attackers of housewives periodically seen on TV and the mass-gang-fights that leads to banning of rock concerts etc. And also the puke puddles on the sidewalk that i have to avoid on my way to 7-Eleven every morning (i live close to a pub) were NOT caused by cigarettes, i can guarantee that.

By the way my boss in Germany was a chain smoker. he started smoking at age 12, was a chain smoker by age 20 and went thru about 12 packs a day from then on. He died at age 77 - falling from a ladder while fixing the roof of his house. My own grandfather died of cancer when he was 74, he hadn't touched a cigarette in his life.

regards.....

Thanh

and I turned the life support machine off on my father at 60 from lung cancer from smoking...

It must be a more addictive than we thought as it messes with their brains, they dont beleive a word we tell them and only seem to want to mock us for trying to save them from theirselves,however they are a dying breed and hopefully the end is nigh,. :o

It should be up to the owner of the establishment. I believe there is room for both smoke-free and smoke-filled pubs, bars, and discos. If as a business owner prefers a smoke-free environment and feels that enough potential customers do as well, then by all means enforce such a rule, but it's not right for the government to shove it down everyone's throat -- especially here in Thailand, where the air is often so filled with smoke from the absolutely irresponsible and constant burning of garbage, it's sometimes hard to breath. It would be nice to see the lawmakers here get their heads out of the clouds (smoke clouds, I assume) for once and actually tackle some sensible issues or do something about the laws that exist. I consistently see 10 to 15-year-old children speeding on their motor scooters with no helmet on while going against traffic . They fly by a BIB and he doesn't even bat an eye. They smash into a car driven by a farang, and it's the farang's fault. It would be nice to see the elected representatives in government actually earn their pay and make laws that will benefit the people who pay their salaries and put pressure on the police to enforce the ones that already exist.
Im all for enclosed smokers clubs/discos etc,( as long as its clearly posted so i dont accidently go in there ) as for the open air bars they will attract both smokers and non smokers the so the ban is correct,.i for one am looking forward to it ,.

At the time of writing this post the date is February 11th.

The ban is now in force.

I urge all non-smokers who are assaulted by the toxic chemicals emitting from the cigarettes belonging to the unlawful, ignorant and arrogant smokers, to summons the aid of the local authorities and insist that the full force of the anti-smoking law be immediately applied.

I'm afraid this is the only way that smokers will get the message.

And I urge all smokers to call the smug police when you arrive at the bar.

To all you sanctimonious non-smokers, wake up and smell the coffee. This is never going to be enforced. OK we may have a crackdown for 2 weeks but then it will be all forgotten. Come back to this thread in a fortnight and there will be hundreds of smokers revelling in their victory, and the same number of whingers telling us that it's not fair.

I, and many of my expat friends, left the western world (UK) to get away from such dictatorial, nanny state edicts. Thank god TiT.

Does the smoking ban effect outdoor seating areas of pubs/restos/other venues? what about beer-bars?

I've been talking to a friend yesterday night about this. He own a totally open bar with live music, no aircon just fans. He had a visit from the BiB recently and they explained about the smoking ban. To his surprise (and to mine) smoking will not be allowed in his bar anymore. He has to remove all ashtrays. If some guest however decide to smoke they could be fined 2,000 Bht. As the owner will offer no ashtrays he would not be fined.

What a joke. This bar is almost under the blue sky, open everywhere, even some outside seating without a roof. I will be a big big story to enforce the law. For my own, I will at least continue to smoke in such king of entertainment venues. I understand and respect not to smoke in aircon restaurants, but banning smoking in an open beer bar is really a joke. Thailand just now does everything possible to scare off tourists. :o

:D:D:D yeah I reckon the TAT will be REALLY worried about the drop in tourism from this brillant law. If anything I think it will incease the numbers of tourists heading into bars. Now all they have to do next is totally ban the sale of all tobacco products in the Kingdom and make smoking illegal everwhere and they will have more applicants for retirement visas and more quality tourists than they will be able to cope with. Bring it on ! LOS could be the world leader in eradicating this foul and vile habit from the face of the earth.

:D:D:D yeah I reckon the TAT will be REALLY worried about the drop in tourism from this brillant law. If anything I think it will incease the numbers of tourists heading into bars. Now all they have to do next is totally ban the sale of all tobacco products in the Kingdom and make smoking illegal everwhere and they will have more applicants for retirement visas and more quality tourists than they will be able to cope with. Bring it on ! LOS could be the world leader in eradicating this foul and vile habit from the face of the earth.

It will be very quit down soi diana, the 7am leo drinking alain delon smoking vest wearers will be in cambodia , hurrah !

I note that all the arguments back and forth on this thread - and similar threads - are all directed at the "here and now" - and the immediate future.

No one seems to be oriented toward the fact that anti-smoking restrictions are aimed at more that just the near-term proximate impact of cigarette smoke on non-smokers at a given location.

The laws are also aimed 15-20 years down the road - to make it that much less desirable for young teen-aged young people to take up smoking in the first place.

When young people see that smoking banishes you to the back alley-way - alongside the junkies, winos, and other addicts - some percentage of those young people will presumably be less inclined to join the "smoking scrum" out back.

I moved to Bangkok from Minnesota - which had very tough restrictions on indoor smoking in public places. I remember parking my car in a parking lot perhaps 100 meters from a pub - with the ambient temperature at -20C, and maybe a 30 km/hr wind blowing, and almost jogging to the pub entrance - just to have to weave between the miserable nicotine addicts huddled near the doorway, sucking on their fags. I just remember shaking my head at the sad spectacle - and wondering how many Minnesota ten-year-olds would continue down the "glamorous" path to lighting up.

The greater value in smoking prohibitions is probably a generation down the road. Smokers of today will pay the price for reducing smoking rates in the future.

Everyone gives lip service the general idea that young people should be discouraged from taking up smoking in the first place - but there is a multi-billion dollar industry that is dependent upon generating a continuous stream of new addicts, to replace those who are continually killed off. No past efforts have seemed to be effective in really lessening the population of new smokers - because young people are irresistibly drawn toward the "glamor" of smoking. I think it is safe to say that disallowing smoking in any indoor entertainment venue will tend to reduce the glamor of smoking.

The arguments will immediately be generated for all the other ways to discourage young people from smoking. But - none of those other ways will change the fact that banishing nicotine addicts from glamorous venues will have a certain effect - all by itself.

I won't venture into the other "here and now" arguments - because they've already been beaten to death, by both sides.

I note that all the arguments back and forth on this thread - and similar threads - are all directed at the "here and now" - and the immediate future.

No one seems to be oriented toward the fact that anti-smoking restrictions are aimed at more that just the near-term proximate impact of cigarette smoke on non-smokers at a given location.

The laws are also aimed 15-20 years down the road - to make it that much less desirable for young teen-aged young people to take up smoking in the first place.

When young people see that smoking banishes you to the back alley-way - alongside the junkies, winos, and other addicts - some percentage of those young people will presumably be less inclined to join the "smoking scrum" out back.

I moved to Bangkok from Minnesota - which had very tough restrictions on indoor smoking in public places. I remember parking my car in a parking lot perhaps 100 meters from a pub - with the ambient temperature at -20C, and maybe a 30 km/hr wind blowing, and almost jogging to the pub entrance - just to have to weave between the miserable nicotine addicts huddled near the doorway, sucking on their fags. I just remember shaking my head at the sad spectacle - and wondering how many Minnesota ten-year-olds would continue down the "glamorous" path to lighting up.

The greater value in smoking prohibitions is probably a generation down the road. Smokers of today will pay the price for reducing smoking rates in the future.

Everyone gives lip service the general idea that young people should be discouraged from taking up smoking in the first place - but there is a multi-billion dollar industry that is dependent upon generating a continuous stream of new addicts, to replace those who are continually killed off. No past efforts have seemed to be effective in really lessening the population of new smokers - because young people are irresistibly drawn toward the "glamor" of smoking. I think it is safe to say that disallowing smoking in any indoor entertainment venue will tend to reduce the glamor of smoking.

The arguments will immediately be generated for all the other ways to discourage young people from smoking. But - none of those other ways will change the fact that banishing nicotine addicts from glamorous venues will have a certain effect - all by itself.

I won't venture into the other "here and now" arguments - because they've already been beaten to death, by both sides.

Whilst I agree with your point, the experience in the UK is that everyone ends up outside, as when the smoking party go out for a puff there are only a few people left in the bar, and no conversation.

This was in October and it was pretty cold, but still they came.

BTW they are now talking about banning patio heaters in the UK due to carbon emissions, where will it end? Give these draconian dictatorships an inch, and they will take a mile.

I remember in Los angeles a few years back the bar owners saying how it would hurt business not being able to smoke in the bar. What a bunch on BS. It did not hurt business at all.

Smoking is a rude as it gets!

And I remember in Dublin a few years back, the bars reported increased sales when they banned smoking .... all the non smokers suddenly started to go to the Pub. That lasted all of three months untill the novelty wore off and they returned to their non smoking living rooms to watch their favorite soap opera on TV. Now ask the Pub owners if it's had an effect ...........especially the 40% who are now seeking other employment due to pub closures since the ban!!

Smokers seem to forget they are the minority and yes the pubs will have more customers as the non smokers will be able to go with the kids and have no fear of passive smoking, if you want private smokers clubs go ahead,im sure none of us non smokers have a problem with that,

Whilst I agree with your point, the experience in the UK is that everyone ends up outside, as when the smoking party go out for a puff there are only a few people left in the bar, and no conversation.

You are still focused upon the here and now - and the recent past.

After another 20 years of smokers being banished from bars, do you still think that the majority of bar patrons will be huddled outside with the other nicotine addicts? Or will smoking rates have declined?

I certainly don't know for sure. I'm just guessing that the smoking restrictions will serve the purpose of discouraging more young people from starting smoking.

The below statement is a far fetched rationalization that attempts to somehow invalidate a logical smoking ban by saying that maritime pollution is not enforced. Clearly it is unhealthy to breathe either fumes.

One of the hallmarks of chemical addiction is "rationalization" Others include "denial", "intellectualization", delusion.

We may as well point out the Bangkok canals and try to say that as they are so polluted, smoking should be allowed everywhere.

Personally, I would prefer heroin addicts sitting at nearby restaurant tables injecting themselves to get their fix than smokers. Injectable cigarettes would also be fine. Just don't make me have to smell and breathe that stuff especially while eating.

Not only trucks and buses, well... check this out...does anyone have the e-mail address of the Health Ministry?

StopSmokingCampaigner_resize.jpg

it is a ferry leaving Don Sak Pier for Ko Samui, on a daily base, several times a day and they ALL are this bad....what are these hypocrites all about, I wonder?

These fumes ARE highly toxic .... malignant!

Where are the Smoking-ban hypocrite's here?

or is it all ONLY about smoke free entertainment, eating and drinking? Looks like....

I think it is not so much about smokers rights versus non smokers, drinkers, etc as it is about the governments rightful wish to lower healcare costs. Not only healthcare for smokers but for second hand smokeers. Although drunks get into fights and alcoholism also destroys lives and families, a person drinking does not force alcohol down the throats of others nearby. Unfortunately smoking forces smoke to be breathed by others not to mention the smell sticking to hair and clothes. A non smoke producing nicotine delivery system is fine as it does not force others to suffer.

Smoke free pubs will show adolescents that it is indeed "cool" to be at the club and not smoke. Smoking and alcohol do indeed make society pay dearly both in disease, suffering, and death. Normal social drinking is not associated with the devastating damage caused by abuse and/or addiction.

I don't see where healthcare costs are the problem. Average smoker lives five years less than a nonsmoker and hospital stays are shorter as they die quicker once in hospital. Thats 5 less years of retirement money plus the taxes received off of the sale of them to cover healthcare expenses. It just protecting the people who don't care for all the negatives associated with smoking.

That theorem and or analysis is correct with one very poignant caveat; if the smokers were isolated amongst themselves not causing "second hand smoke" illness in non-smokers.

Actually, one could also argue that is everyone smoked, then the total health care costs would be reduced by premature death.

Without intending to be cynical, it seems to me that this fine could be beneficial to everyone, including police, who depend on fines to make a living. It might even take some little pressure off of poor motor bike riders, who are preyed upon by police officers who make a living doing little else. Or is this just how officers make enough money to enable them to be peace officers?

If it is any consideration, I decided to have lunch today on soi 4. I took a moment to look in the few bars that were open. The bars that were inside the ashtrays were gone. The beer bars were still smoking. However it is early, lets see what happens over the next few days.

I, and many of my expat friends, left the western world (UK) to get away from such dictatorial, nanny state edicts. Thank god TiT.

Perhaps the time has come for you to make another move (and hopefully a permanent move) to some uninhabited island out there in one of the worlds' oceans, where you can indulge in your filthy habit without inflicting the consequences of your addiction onto others.

Thank God that Thailand has grown up by introducing laws that promote good health for the majority of its population.

Such laws need to be enforced, promoted and protected. Enforced they will be.

All of you arrogant smokers, who foolishly think that you are above the law, have been warned.

Perhaps the time has come for you to make another move (and hopefully a permanent move) to some uninhabited island out there in one of the worlds' oceans, where you can indulge in your filthy habit without inflicting the consequences of your addiction onto others.

Nah, that's just silly. There wouldn't be any 7-11's to buy my fags.

Smokers seem to forget they are the minority and yes the pubs will have more customers as the non smokers will be able to go with the kids and have no fear of passive smoking, if you want private smokers clubs go ahead,im sure none of us non smokers have a problem with that,

You forget that private smokers clubs are not allowed, right?!

There are many places - smoke free - where you can go with your kids. I do not assume that you frequent discos or other night entertainment places together with them :D

One thing is sure, this will not support business, it will bring business down at least for the aircon places. I am smoker, I can accept non smoking in restaurants etc., but when I go out later at night, I just feel discriminated even not to be allowed to smoke a cigarette in an open, outside bar. What a nonsense! Let's see Walking Street covered in dense blue cigarette smoke, as soon as the 15 min cigarette break starts at the Gogo's :o

Cheers.

The greater value in smoking prohibitions is probably a generation down the road.

Makes sense. When I was a kid, my parents smoked, my uncles and aunts smoked, hel_l even James Bond smoked. I smoked for 33 years.

My adult children grew up in a different age and they do not smoke.

As for the argument that people who drink want to smoke, all I can say is Heineken and other beer producers must be selling a lot of soft drinks in beer bottles, because I see a lot of people swigging beer and not smoking - inside or outside the bar.

At my regular bar, I have many many times taken a quick count of smokers vs non-smokers, and always found that the smokers are a minority, which mirrors the % in society who smoke.

This argument will die a natural death.

As for this business of why bother with not smoking, look at the pollution. Yes, why bother looking left and right when you cross the road - the pollution from the bus is going to kill you anyway, might as well get hit by the miserable thing and get it over with.

As for this business of why bother with not smoking, look at the pollution. Yes, why bother looking left and right when you cross the road - the pollution from the bus is going to kill you anyway, might as well get hit by the miserable thing and get it over with.

Yup.

Just that banning smoking for health reasons yet leaving the other pollution "as is" is like crossing the road after looking up for falling airplanes - and not worrying about the traffic on the road.

Thanh

Yup.

Just that banning smoking for health reasons yet leaving the other pollution "as is" is like crossing the road after looking up for falling airplanes - and not worrying about the traffic on the road.

Thanh

So quit smoking and start demonstrating about the pollution :o

They ought to do what they did in Spain. They brought in a ban on smoking in all bars which was totally ignored so they modified it so that bars had to put a sign on their door to say whether they allow smoking or not. Result - total compliance.

They passed the same stupid law last year in Arizona where I live, thank goodness that it doesn't apply to private clubs. They tried and failed to keep us from smoking in the American Legion posts (a private club for US combat veterans).

What I am wondering is where am I going to light one up when I go to the Chatuchak Weekend Market? Do they have marked smoking areas? And did they ban the smoking lounges at the airport. They did that here, and it really sucks. If they just setup rooms like at the airports in Manila, Taipei, and most international airports you think that would be satisfactory. And that rule about not smoking in public parks is not new. After I got off the Metro line on a trip to Chatuchak Weekend Market back in 2006 I saw the no smoking sign at the entrance of the park. Lucky for me I saw it and avoided the fine.

As for secondhand smoke, privately owned business should be allowed to accommodate their customers. If there was a huge market for smoke free bars and nightclubs, I guarantee some shrewd businessman would be making a mint on smoke free clubs. As for restaurants I don't smoke while I eat and don't have a problem with them being smoke free. And weren't 99% of all places in Bangkok already smoke free?

And having lived in California and with Arizona following along their lead, I have noticed that most bars just end up doing most of their business on an outdoor patio. There used to be a time when you expected smoke to billow out of a bar. Welcome to the nanny state, what will they ban next? Twinkies? Big Macs?

Cheers

GunnyD