Foreign Nationalism

Phil Conners

So many expats (?) here proudly display their national flags on their cars and houses. Particularly the English (the mirrored Danish flag) and German flags all over the place. What's the big deal? What causing people who left their home country to start a new life in Thailand to hang on to their old nationality? If it was so great why leave?

:o

When I move there for good I will only hang out my CUBS flag . :o

Ya Jeff, I am with you on that one. GO CUBBIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good question though by the original poster. Although I am not living in LOS as of yet, I do see foreign flags a lot like you say. Really, I often ask myself the same question when I am home in the US. There is a certain group of people living here in the US (not gonna mention who) that do nothing but talk about the country they came from, try to change this country into being more like theirs, and making their old country sound perfect. Let me ask the same question.....if the place you came from is so great, then why do you come here? If you like your country so much, then stay there! Already have way too many people living here as it is! Otherwise, adapt to the way things operate where you are going. Nobody is forcing you to relocate.

Not everybody who lives abroad hates 'their' country. For most folks it is part of their identity. Telling people who have national flags to go back to their country is like telling somebody who wears a cross to become a monk.

No, I do not own a flag of any kind, nor do I wear a cross.

I wasn't saying people were "waving" flags, just flag stickers on cars and houses. In Pattaya it's all over the place, keep your eyes open.

I'm also not telling people doing it to go home, just wondering why the display of nationalism when they obviously choose to leave their country.

In this global world what you "are" (in terms of nationality) really shouldn't matter anymore, we're all just Earthlings.

In the states, we have the same but mostly see hispanic people with flags in their cars. Hanging off the mirror But not US flag anywhere on the Vehicle, IMHO you should display what you are proud of but also show some kind of diplay of where you are living.

sorry my friend. When talking about NYC you're right.

Let's go to Maryland and West Virginia as well as South Carolina and you'll see US flags everywhere, also in the underwears.

I never understood why all americans where (almost 100% of them) showing US flags on cars, houses, offices, shops, after 9/11 ...... was it bringing something positive?? Was Bin Laden worried about that??

There was no place in US without flags or stickers.

Now the situation is a little bit different, but US flags are almost everywhere (excluding NYC, D.C., Miami, Los Angeles, and S.Francisco, which actually are totally different from the rest of USA, being cities with high % of immigrants and higher level of education).

In the states,  we have the same but mostly see hispanic people with flags in their cars.   Hanging off the mirror   But not US flag anywhere on the Vehicle,  IMHO  you should display what you are proud of but also show some kind of diplay of where you are living.

sorry my friend. When talking about NYC you're right.

Let's go to Maryland and West Virginia as well as South Carolina and you'll see US flags everywhere, also in the underwears.

I never understood why all americans where (almost 100% of them) showing US flags on cars, houses, offices, shops, after 9/11 ...... was it bringing something positive?? Was Bin Laden worried about that??

There was no place in US without flags or stickers.

Now the situation is a little bit different, but US flags are almost everywhere (excluding NYC, D.C., Miami, Los Angeles, and S.Francisco, which actually are totally different from the rest of USA, being cities with high % of immigrants and higher level of education).

NYC!!!?? I live in FLorida BIG Hispanic population here Duke I understand what your saying We also have people here that wave the confedarate flag all around. It's not even in use!!!! anywhere. But to them it represents the southern part of america that tried to sucede from the Union states. I don't know The real place a person should keep their national pride is in their heart. :o

Duke Can I tell you why people were showing the flag everywhere after 9/11 It was a devastating day wouldn't you say?? Just showing that the terrorists could not divide us. That's all

When I move there for good I will only hang out my CUBS flag .  :D

Ya gotta wait until the World Series is over, right? :D

Well, we Cubbie fans can dream on, can't we?

Dream on cub fans............. :o

Go Yankees!!

Yankee.gif

America's most Famous Baseball Team!

.......and Proud to fly my YANKEE flag! :D

Err....I'm a New Yorker, and I still have my American flag outside my house, and on my car.... :o:D

Yes, New York City is a very multicultural place, especially here in Queens. True the number of American flags have dwindled in the months since the attacks here, but that does not mean that immigrants here love his country any less. Italian and Irish Americans been here for generations, and many of them still display the flags of the countries of their ancestors. I wouldn't even be surprised if even the Bushes and the Kerry families break out the Union Jack now and then ( after all, they ARE directly decended from original British immigrants here :D )...... People all over the world come to live here in America bringing their own traditions and Identities, which help make this country great. I love Old Glory, and I am not at all threatened by some other persons flag here.....I should think the same would be of people living in Thailand or England... :D

Speaking of wearing your flag on your underware, I still have my American flag Underroos™ that I used to wear as a kid....Still wear them now and then for the 4th of July family picnics, but it's a tight fit now.... :D

I believe you will find that it is illegal to fly a foreign flag at a point higher than an adjacent Thai flag.

I also believe this extends to a whole property or building.

I once saw an Italian flag flying from the top of a very high structure that had been built by Italians. The sh1t that ensued was just unbelievable.

As for flying your own flag on your own car or house.

Well why not. You are denied a whole lot of rights and are repeadedly told you are not Thai so be who you are.

One advantage of sticking a UK flag on your car is you will not get mistaken for a German...... worse still a Frog!

flying flags and singing patriotic songs keeps the stupid happy.

Have a look at the parking attendants at Big C

Give them some fake medals and you pay them a thousand bath less a month , because they are all "so important" now.

They are just stupid.

I am not sure, if there is anybody really willing to give up the roots.

Look at sports, everybody (well nearly) for the own country's team, although they might have left the country years ago.

Flags. I respect everybody's national flag (and anthemn for that).

How do you feel, seing on TV somebody burning your country's flag?

OK, I am not flying a flag on my car and believe madsere was referring to country's ID as a sticker. Why not? I put the EU and my home town on. Not homesick, just for fun.

I dont see any problem with showing your identity. What about all the English lads that wear their England tops to go out. i dont see anyone mention this Its a personal choice . Or also BP's that have a flag on their backpacks. I personally think its ok. Thai people do i also. Even Nz and Oz.They have them in their gardens Each to their own.

I have my own National flag and the Thai flag side by side on the balcony.

It have nothing to do with be "proud or show of" or the statement below.

But it have to do with not to forget who you are and your family and home country.

BTW, I have not relocated permanent to Thailand. The plan is still to turn home when the farm shall be overtaken. But are here because thats the easiest for one of us. . as for now...

:o

I don't see a problem with foreigners displaying a flag of thier country. Just because one lives in the kingdom does not mean u shoudn't be proud of your native country. Lets face it, falangs will never be seen as Thai, so displaying your county's sticker on your car is no big deal. The locals will see a falang face driving and ask or wonder the ineveitable question" where u from? anyways .