Foreign Nationalism

Phil Conners

Here in London during this summer's Euro football championships local Pakistani youths suddenly started flying the Pakistan flag on their cars, as people from the other competing nations were doing. ie, Spanish, Portugese, Greek etc.

Pakistan were obviously not playing in the tournament as it is for European nations only.

So why were those Pakistani youths flying their flags even though their country was not competing? :o

When I move there for good I will only hang out my CUBS flag .  :D

Ya gotta wait until the World Series is over, right? :o

Well, we Cubbie fans can dream on, can't we?

I would be waiting a long , long time . :D

So I will put it out on opening day and wait until next year .

can one get WGN on satillite in Thailand ? Or is it ESPN game of the week for me ?

I would not want to change a thing about Thailand , I love it just the way it is . But I do love my baseball too

I am not a flag bearer myself, but it is a bit utopian to hope that once you pass thru immigration that you forget all vestiges of your previous life and I suppose that this finds expression in flag showing.

It may also have a lot to do with the fact that we are classed as "farang", that wonderful catchall that describes anyone with a white face. In addition, the Thai government makes it impossible to take allegiance to the Thai flag so who'e flag would you prefer to fly, I suppose one's own.

I fly my Canadian colours along with fellow Canucks not only out of pride, but also to prevent confusion or mistaken identity. The Canadian flags sewed upon the backpacks of Canadian travellers are there for a simple reason: to ease our travels. Nobody knows a thing or gives a sh*t about Canada, which is much to our liking.

So many expats (?) here proudly display their national flags on their cars and houses. Particularly the English (the mirrored Danish flag) and German flags all over the place. What's the big deal? What causing people who left their home country to start a new life in Thailand to hang on to their old nationality? If it was so great why leave?

:o

Just because you move to another country it doesnt mean you should forget where you come from. Especially one that doesnt allow you to integrate as much as this one.

What do you think about all the thais who have stickers of the stars and stripes and union jack etc ? Are they american or british wanabees or simply expressing their like for that country?

I've seen quite a few Thais wearing T-Shirts with Union Jacks and Start 'n' Stripes on them. Also, Japanese Rising Suns. I they they're neither denouncing their Thai nationalism nor advancing the foreign one either. They just think the T-Shirts look cool.

I have a Union Jack shirt (buttons and collar type) - a present - I wear it sometimes, not for any particular nationalistic reason, just because its there in my cupboard. Never really thought about it. I have the Englisg Rugby top too, which I wear sometimes. It is less conspicuous as it is merely white with the rose on the left tit.