Nice Friendly Gay Hotels Bkk

kowpat

I (and many others over the years) have always liked the Tarntawan on Suriwong Rd (near Patpong, so you would classify as near Silom).

It is very gay-friendly. Most of the management and staff are gay. It is perfectly OK to take guys back there. There is no pool, but you get a pass for a local gym/pool.

However, it depends on yr budget. I think that the Tarntawan is now at least 2,500b (maybe more), but that does include a good breakfast. It is a good hotel, and near all the action. The rooms are comfortable.

-----

The Malaysia Hotel is near Babylon and pretty much gay. It is much cheaper than the above, at about 700b. incl breakfast. There is a pool, which can be cruisy. The bar opens 'til very late, like 6am...and you can meet new 'friends' there (some of them may be working, but not all). The rooms are OK but not wonderful!!

Babylon itself has a hotel upstairs. There are different grades of room, starting at about 1000b for basic. But, it's really like living 'above the shop'. The nicer suites are expensive too, about 4000b. Of course, u can cruise free all day in B itself.

The Pinnacle Hotel is near the Malaysia and is well-known as gay/friendly. It costs a bit more than the Malaysia, maybe about 900-1000b with buffet breakfast. However, the rooms are a bit better than the Malaysia. There is a sauna/pool/sun-deck on the roof, which can be 'busy'.

Opposite the Pinnacle is a small boutique hotel called Vincent's Seven Rooms. It is said to be reasonable, and it is gay.

All of the above can be found using google.

I don't know any gay hotels up in Sukhumvit. A friend stays at the Federal sometimes (said to be good value and gay-friendly, with pool)...but I don't know the place.

PEddy

You have to book the Pinnacle Lumpini in advance, the walk-in price is almost double and more. I stayed at both Malaysia and Pinnacle regulary when in BKK. My guess is that the Malaysia Hotel is actually a gay hotel. Nicer pool btw and the bar&restaurant is open 24 hours. I´m not gay but in my opinion the Malaysia offers the better value for money.

Yes, true what you say.

The Pinnacle has/had a guy called Jimmy who lives in the hotel and acts as an agent. He takes the bookings (mainly for gay people), which is how he makes a living. He has an arrangement whereby he offers rooms cheaper than walk-in price. Gays all over the world know that they should 'email Jimmy' to get the rate. I am not sure whether the system has changed, but this was the 'system' for many years.

Personally I prefer Pinnacle if you can get the cheap rate. For the extra 200b (or so), the rooms are far nicer. Some of the Malaysia rooms are quite skanky---plywood doors, thin walls, peeling paint. The Malaysia is a bit more gay in terms of overt gay stuff. You are correct that the bar is 24 hours--what I implied was that guys deliberately go to the Malaysia bar up until about 6 am (after the bars have closed) to 'meet new friends'. It is known to have a selection of late bar-flies, gay guests, money boys, non money-boys, ladyboys and drinkers who hang out there. A friend who stays there always 'meets' a new friend most nights he is there.

PE

Yes, true what you say.

The Pinnacle has/had a guy called Jimmy who lives in the hotel and acts as an agent. He takes the bookings (mainly for gay people), which is how he makes a living. He has an arrangement whereby he offers rooms cheaper than walk-in price. Gays all over the world know that they should 'email Jimmy' to get the rate. I am not sure whether the system has changed, but this was the 'system' for many years.

Personally I prefer Pinnacle if you can get the cheap rate. For the extra 200b (or so), the rooms are far nicer. Some of the Malaysia rooms are quite skanky---plywood doors, thin walls, peeling paint. The Malaysia is a bit more gay in terms of overt gay stuff. You are correct that the bar is 24 hours--what I implied was that guys deliberately go to the Malaysia bar up until about 6 am (after the bars have closed) to 'meet new friends'. It is known to have a selection of late bar-flies, gay guests, money boys, non money-boys, ladyboys and drinkers who hang out there. A friend who stays there always 'meets' a new friend most nights he is there.

PE

Malaysia it is then!!

only problem now is that they appear to be fully booked....

Malaysia is often booked, at least their cheaper rooms. Pinnacle was fine last time I was there. Another cheap option at about 1000 baht is Pavillion, in Patpong Soi 2 at Suriwong near Lumphini Park, but there's no pool. Pinnacle includes a decent breakfast buffet, I think.

I am a diehard swimmer, but at least up north here, it's too cold in February, anyway.

You can do better than the hotels suggested. Consider an executive apartment. At new years I stayed in a 1 br apartment with kitchen, living room and nice bathroom for a bit more than lumpinee. Have a look at the grand president or any other compass properties. ambassador is same price as lumpinee for many of the rooms. Food is good, housekeping too and all is modern and convenient. Ok, so you say what do I know about gay friendly, well I stay with my gay friend (which is the reason why the girl I was seeing tore a piece off of me), no one batted an eye at the 2 of us there and my friend is the kind of guy that requires a fire extinguisher at times.His only complaint was that it was too hi so and the food not spicy enough.Have a look before you book anything. Bkk has so many options

Has the Malaysia changed? I booked a Canadian Gay Tourist into there a couple weeks ago and he said they don't do massages in the rooms, you have to go to a massage room that is straight.

No gays hanging around the lobby trying to connect as before, etc. I must admit this guy is a little clueless so perhaps all is as before and he is unaware?

Comments from recent guests there?

Has the Malaysia changed? I booked a Canadian Gay Tourist into there a couple weeks ago and he said they don't do massages in the rooms, you have to go to a massage room that is straight.

No gays hanging around the lobby trying to connect as before, etc. I must admit this guy is a little clueless so perhaps all is as before and he is unaware?

Comments from recent guests there?

I'm not staying at the Malaysia, but at a condo down the street. I walk past the Malaysia on my way to and from the MRT and can tell you that in the evenings there are generally a ready supply of "friends" smiling and asking "Where are you going?". If this is on the street out front, I can't imagine it is going on any less inside. :o

I was at the Malaysia over Xmas and the New Year. It appears to be like the good old days at the lobby and in the pool. I was even fortunate enough to meet the oldest money boy in all of Bangkers in his late 60s. He tried to get me to off him but I declined and gave him 20b for noodles.

‘You can do better than the hotels suggested. Consider an executive apartment. At new years I stayed in a one bedroom apartment with kitchen, living room and nice bathroom for a bit more than lumpinee. Have a look at the grand president or any other compass properties. Ambassador is same price as lumpinee for many of the rooms. Food is good, housekeeping too and all is modern and convenient. Ok, so you say what do I know about gay friendly, well I stay with my gay friend (which is the reason why the girl I was seeing tore a piece off of me), no one batted an eye at the 2 of us there and my friend is the kind of guy that requires a fire extinguisher at times. His only complaint was that it was too hi so and the food not spicy enough. Have a look before you book anything. Bkk has so many options.’

Pinnacle hotel is has been for quite some time, been described as one of the best gay friendly hotel in Bangkok. I have a friend of mine who comes to Bangkok and stays for a few months. He said basically, the service at Pinnacle is superb to any other hotel. The breakfast, room service, and sauna are exceptional. They even put in a Microwave Oven in his room.

Babylon Barracks

Soi Nantha (off Sathorn Soi 1/Soi Jusmag), Sathorn Rd

Phone: (0) 2679 - 7985 Fax: (0) 2679 – 7986

Over rated and overpriced. Many customers whom I talk to seem a little disappointed.

BBB Inn

918 Rama 4 Rd

Phone: (0) 2236 - 2259 Fax: (0) 2234 – 3667

A sex hotel, basically. The customers bring over their boys from the local Go-Go boy clubs. You cannot sleep.

Malaysia Hotel

54 Soi Ngam Duphli (off Rama 4 Rd)

Phone: (0) 2679 - 7128 Fax: (0) 2287 – 1457

Been there for a long time. Thin walls, breakfast is good. The cliental is mostly elderly men.

Pinnacle Hotel

17 Soi Ngam Duphli (off Rama 4 Rd)

Phone: (0) 2287 - 0111 Fax: (0) 2287 – 3420

One the better ones near Silom and right across from Malaysia Hotel and Babylon Sauna

Regency Park Hotel

Sukhumvit Soi 22

Not a gay friendly hotel, now. But 7 years ago it was. If you like to be bothered with walking outside each day, being ripped off by the taxi drivers. Go for it.

In the interests of accuracy, The Pinnacle is about 500 meters from the Malaysia Hotel, and Babylon is at least 1km away.

There's a new Ibis Hotel going up directly opposite the Malaysia - be interesting if it has any impact.

For those interested in using Jimmy's booking service, he is in room 1312, but only open for business 10am-3pm. Confirmations if not made on the spot can sometimes mean a long wait.

Edited by Guest

Some of the bargain hotels in Bangkok can not be found on the Internet. I stay at the Embassy Hotel when I am in Bangkok. It's 700 baht a night - huge rooms, average views, large swimming pool and great meals. On a quiet side soi, about 500 metres from Big C in Saphan Kwai.

I think the best way to find friendly hotels in BKK is to ask a local ... Thai or expat. As for gay-friendly hotels, aren't they all gay-friendly?

Peter

Some of the bargain hotels in Bangkok can not be found on the Internet. I stay at the Embassy Hotel when I am in Bangkok. It's 700 baht a night - huge rooms, average views, large swimming pool and great meals. On a quiet side soi, about 500 metres from Big C in Saphan Kwai.

I think the best way to find friendly hotels in BKK is to ask a local ... Thai or expat. As for gay-friendly hotels, aren't they all gay-friendly?

Peter

I know there are a few small gay bars & karaokes in Saphan Kwai but the majority of the farang friendly gay scene in Bangkok is in the Silom area. Why would you stay in a place that can sometimes be a 1 hour taxi ride from Silom and not add the equivalent of the taxi fare on staying in a Silom area hotel?

Peter

I know there are a few small gay bars & karaokes in Saphan Kwai but the majority of the farang friendly gay scene in Bangkok is in the Silom area. Why would you stay in a place that can sometimes be a 1 hour taxi ride from Silom and not add the equivalent of the taxi fare on staying in a Silom area hotel?

Until midnight you can use the skytrain and avoid the traffic and taxi fares. Getting back wouldn't cost much.

Edited by Guest

I live about 400m from Saphan Kwai.

The cab fare to Babylon is about 90b (3 dollars US). To Silom about 80b. These are averages--I have paid a little less or more at certain times.

Saphan Kwai is very interesting. The Mall is very busy for gaydar. The movie theatre opposite is a total pick-up place (only gays seem to use it). There are two very good saunas nearby (but 'sticky').

PEd

Peter

Until midnight you can use the skytrain and avoid the traffic and taxi fares. Getting back wouldn't cost much.

You can do better than the hotels suggested. Consider an executive apartment. At new years I stayed in a 1 br apartment with kitchen, living room and nice bathroom for a bit more than lumpinee. Have a look at the grand president or any other compass properties. ambassador is same price as lumpinee for many of the rooms. Food is good, housekeping too and all is modern and convenient. Ok, so you say what do I know about gay friendly, well I stay with my gay friend (which is the reason why the girl I was seeing tore a piece off of me), no one batted an eye at the 2 of us there and my friend is the kind of guy that requires a fire extinguisher at times.His only complaint was that it was too hi so and the food not spicy enough.Have a look before you book anything. Bkk has so many options

100% agree that the serviced/executive apartments offer great value - effectively you can get what amounts to a suite for the price of a really ordinary hotel room. My experience over several stays (a few years back) at Oakwood Residence is that the quality of service, range of facilities etc is as good as you'll get at a 4* hotel but without all the fuss. The attitude seems to be that the apartment is your home while you're staying and nobody wants to ask anything about your guests - let alone mention "joining fee" etc.

All but one of the Compass properties seem to be in Sukhumvit. Can anyone recommend good options closer to the Silom area? Great though Oakwood is, it can be a bit of a haul to taxi back to - due to the freeway layout you have to make a long loop to get to it from downtown (very quick and direct going into town).

I live about 400m from Saphan Kwai.

The cab fare to Babylon is about 90b (3 dollars US). To Silom about 80b. These are averages--I have paid a little less or more at certain times.

Saphan Kwai is very interesting. The Mall is very busy for gaydar. The movie theatre opposite is a total pick-up place (only gays seem to use it). There are two very good saunas nearby (but 'sticky').

PEd

Peter

When I spent more time in BKK years ago, I infinitely preferred Saphan Kwai to Silom/Patpong. My take is that it's more of an Asian red-light district - but all the better for that......... I didn't leave London just to mix with other farang and you do get the feeling of being a bit special there :o (I'll take that over "farangfriendly" anytime). I loved the Midnight Cowboy bar (with "Jonathan" ? as the host/hostess) - probably long gone?

I agree with people on here who are advocates of apartment letting. Great! For me, an apartment is fine for a stay of more than a few days. I lived in a serviced apartment for three months when I first came to BKK. Now, I rent an apartment f/t.

However, sometimes you are in town for a few days and a hotel can be more fun, more convenient for the area, or more suitable. A good gay hotel, to me, is more fun than staying in an apartment, especially if you are central.

P

When I spent more time in BKK years ago, I infinitely preferred Saphan Kwai to Silom/Patpong. My take is that it's more of an Asian red-light district - but all the better for that......... I didn't leave London just to mix with other farang and you do get the feeling of being a bit special there :o (I'll take that over "farangfriendly" anytime). I loved the Midnight Cowboy bar (with "Jonathan" ? as the host/hostess) - probably long gone?

Midnight Cowboy is long gone. It was Kamala and after John from Singapur (died in 2000) who looked after. Tom from New York opened there Dejá Vue, which closed some time ago. Saphan Khwai is fun and convenient with the Sky Train. The hotels in the area are all "gay friendly": Embassy, Liberty Gardens, Mido, Sena Place, Pradiphat, Elisabeth... and some of the bars like Aladin or Charming Boys have been there more for than 15 years.

and some of the bars like Aladin or Charming Boys have been there more for than 15 years.

For your information Aladdin closed three or four years ago and moved to a new location near OrTorKor market with a new name (Asian Boys or something like that) ; I don't know if they are still open now.

It is a long time since there is no new bar in the area although I read somewhere that a new place would have just opened in Soi Kawtoei.

Agree.

I live 5 min from SKwai. It is very gay up here. I get cruised, even by couples, in the Big C (and I am no chicken). The Underground 39 sauna is good and cheap but rather sticky. The movie theatre (cinema) near the sauna is wild. I don't believe anyone goes there to watch films!

P

God, some of the posters here are out of date or totally cluless or both - the Malaysia is still buzzing and the Pinnacle with Jimmy is just such a load of shit for the hassle you have to go through sitting on the bed in his hotel room for ages while he sorts out your booking. I arrived at 3pm and it was 5pm before i saw reception - forget it. The food is crap anyway. Appalling breakfast buffet and no bar.

I have stayed at the Rose Hotel (www.rosehotelbkk.com) for nearly 30 years (so I am no stranger to Thailand) and have gone thru 3 coffee shop refurbishments and the addition of a pool and thai restaurant - and for about 1700 baht/night it is worth the money (Ithink I paid 350 baht in 1979) - no problem with guests and no surcharge. Just off Suriwongse Rd and close to all the Silom delights..

Yes, Midnight Cowboy and Harrys were the bars were'nt they?

Tarntawan is gay yes, but they offer no particular service for the price - 2500 - 3000 baht for bugger all

If you want to be pretentious then try Tawan Ramada just down the road.

However - if you r looking for something special, try this

http://www.hotelthailand.com/bangkok/elegance/

absolute total value for money

God, some of the posters here are out of date or totally cluless or both - the Malaysia is still buzzing and the Pinnacle with Jimmy is just such a load of shit for the hassle you have to go through sitting on the bed in his hotel room for ages while he sorts out your booking. I arrived at 3pm and it was 5pm before i saw reception - forget it. The food is crap anyway. Appalling breakfast buffet and no bar.

I have stayed at the Rose Hotel (www.rosehotelbkk.com) for nearly 30 years (so I am no stranger to Thailand) and have gone thru 3 coffee shop refurbishments and the addition of a pool and thai restaurant - and for about 1700 baht/night it is worth the money (Ithink I paid 350 baht in 1979) - no problem with guests and no surcharge. Just off Suriwongse Rd and close to all the Silom delights..

Yes, Midnight Cowboy and Harrys were the bars were'nt they?

Tarntawan is gay yes, but they offer no particular service for the price - 2500 - 3000 baht for bugger all

However - if you r looking for something special, try this

http://www.hotelthailand.com/bangkok/elegance/

absolute total value for money

Thanks for the tip about The Elegance, Troyboy - I get a warm feeling about it from their website. Any thoughts as to whether it's worth the extra 700 baht daily for the "executive" as compared to the "junior" suite......... say for a five night stay?

:D I love to be pretentious and have been staying in the Tawana Ramada (Now called the Tawana Bangkok) for years! My tolerance level of Bangkok is about four days so the 3000 Baht upwards room rates are excellent value, I'm there on average about once a month.

Great hotel, if somewhat quirky and rather quaint, all the staff know me and I'm treated like royalty (its fun when the Taxi driver's trying to scam the change and a beaming bell boy bounces over and greets you by name :D ). Have stayed there with several BFs and never had a problem (my BFs are all the same type, the hotel still thinks they are the same person :D ) - I doubt too many of the male staff are straight anyway :o

The joiners fee is high I believe (around pan baht), but why would people do that? There are plenty of short time hotels for much less and it keeps "trouble" out of your nice hotel where the temptaion to empty the minibar may be too great :D The hotel's standard tariffs are clearly for single occupancy - they charge extra for more people in a room even when booked in advance so there's nothing inconsistent.

Recalling one episode a few years back they really proved their Gay friendly credentials when security escorted a "visitor" to my room at about 4 a.m. only to find 3 other "visitors" already on the bed (euphemistically: "a compromising situation" :D ) -and not a word was said nor an eyelid batted (being a good tipper always helps)! That night the mini bar did get wiped out as well as the pre acquired supplies from seven eleven :D

Know Saphan Kwai well as a BF used to live there, had some great nights in local bars there though never stayed there.

The food is crap anyway. Appalling breakfast buffet and no bar.

Are we talking about the same hotel? The Pinnacle offers the best budget buffet breakfast in all of Bangkers. Just look at the hordes of Thai boys that dine with their hotel guest friends every morning! Love the stir fry vegs and the noodles. They even have real bacon instead of the burnt charcoal served at the Tantawan.

Haven't been charged a joiner fee with all the farang money boys I've brought back either.