Kawasaki Gto

akumabito

I've been offered a Kawasaki GTO for a pretty reasonable price. It is an ex-police bike from around 1990 (I'll have to ask the exact year). It is lightly modified (new seat, gas tank, nicer wheels and some other small stuff). It is not the prettiest bike around, but it is a reliable runner as the current owner uses it as a daily driver. Of course there is the common catch: It has no registration book.

I have been told it is no big deal thogh for two reasons; First off, it apparently is quite common for 'old' bikes to be without registration. I have some serious doubts about it, and although I can understand it for a 1960's bike, I seriously doubt a bike less than 2 decades old would count as a 'classic'.. Is this claim even remotely true?

Next I was told that it was an ex-police bike, and if I ever got asked about the lack of registration, I could tell them this, and where the bike had been in service and the police could check the story there. Again, I find this an odd story. I certainly never heard of this before. Even if true, I'd worry about the practical implications. I doubt they'd phone to some police station when stopped at a chekpoint. And even if they did, on the other end they'd probably have no idea what they're talking about anyway..

Another odd thing then; Although the bike has no official registration papers, it apparently comes with a sort of 'contract' (the word my wife uses in translaion anyway). From what I gather, this is just a sales contract, or an ownership history perhaps if it shows all previous owners. Anyone familiar with this kind of setup? As my wife explained: "If police stop you, you show them this, and they can blame other people"

Riiiiight....

So the ownership part seems a bit dubious to me, and I'd appreciate it if someone could shed some light on it. If thins are cleared up, I'll probably go for it. Stock GTO's with proper documentation sell for 12,000+ here, and this one is less than half that much... Anyway, I did a search on the forum, but I couldn't find anything on ex-police bikes, or the other issues. I apologize if it's a topic that's been discused to death already, but I just couldn't find it..!

Police vehicles come with a registration book, but that is a special one. If the bike is a ex-cop bike it would have some form of registration. A copy of the old police license would be enough. Go to the Department of Land Transportation and ask what more you need to register the bike.

To my experience it is not that difficult to get a civilian license plate on your bike, that is if the bike ever had police plates....

Agreeing with both JimmyMook and adjahnlau: if you really want it over all the other available bikes and can throw away 6K, it's small change in your pocketbook, etc. But, an 18 yr old bike is neither classic nor modern. There are guys who can rebuild these 2 strokes blindfolded (perhaps Thanh-BKK), but is it worth it?

I was offered a 2000 NSR 150 for 12K and passed it up because I know nothing about two stroke engines.

Hello :o

Did i smell 2T in here? :D Two stroke for life, dear....... a decent engine has no valves and rattling gear to drive them :D

Now to the GTO. Cheaply made compared to others (passenger foot rests on the rear swing arm like a classic Zuendapp) but ultra-reliable except if it's deeply flooded - the carb on those sits inside the gearbox (intake straight into the crank case) and hence when the water reaches only gearbox level you're screwed.

However the engines are known to last virtually for ever if you keep them stock, and they are quite powerful too. Certain GTO's pull off at the lights faster than my Bulldozer even. Getting one for 6k in good condition? GO FOR IT!! I got mine (a Yamaha RXZ) for 5k and it was, literally, a heap of junk. I've got pictures to prove it.

Now the green book. Several possibilities exist.

First of all, try the normal route - ask if you can GET the book and if it isn't too expensive.

Second, go to a bike shop of choice and ask for a GTO frame with book. Or a complete but junked GTO for a couple of thousand Baht. The GTO is still widely used and even still produced so there';s a good chance. If you get a frame with book or a complete bike, just move all parts from your good-but-bookless one to the other and you've got a nice bike that'll keep you moving for years to come with minimal maintenance.

And very important: Don't listen to those who want to talk you out of "that dirty two-stroke". I ride my RXZ, which is a 135cc two-stroke, more economical than a brand-new Nouvo, Click etc. and while i am at it i go faster than any of those, too. My bike has 67.000 kilometers clocked plus an unknown number more (speedo wasn't working when i got it) and it still runs like a new one. It's no beauty but a reliable daily runner that i wouldn't sell for anything.

With best regards.....

Thanh

• 2 weeks later...
I have been driving around on a bike with no plate for almost a year and have had no problem.

Congratulations!

I'm sorry, but I have yet to receive my cookie, can you double check on that for me?

It was a statement to allow the poster to know you don't always need to worry about things like a plate.