Aussie Sausage Rolls With A Twist

Goinghomesoon

Craving sausage rolls today but can never get the mince right with red meat. Found this chicken recipe in a magazine. Thai man and I have just finished scoffing one-third of the batch straight from the oven. He dipped his in chilli sauce, I stuck with tomato... Reckon this would make about 36 party-sized rolls for under 800 baht. Not a bad fix of western junk food got all the ingrediants at my local Tops except the pastry which came from Villa. Have put the prices in the brackets if anyone is interested.

I am soooo not a cooking person and these were a dead easy Sunday night special:

1. 500g chicken mince (80 baht)

2. 2 green spring onions finely chopped (30 baht for fresh organic ones)

3. 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries (Mariani brand 92.50 baht)

4. 1/4 cup canberry sauce (tinned S&W brand 106 baht)

5. 100g brie, finely chopped (165 baht for pack on sale at Tops)

6. 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (Lobo brand 28.50 baht)

7. Salt & pepper to season

8. Puff pastry (Villa 76.50 baht)

9. 1 egg, beaten

10. Sesame seeds (9.50 baht)

Ensure ingrediants 1-7 are chopped finely and mixed well in a bowl.

Roll out puff pastry into 6 rectangles about 20cm x 8cm (not so thin you can see through it though...)

Shape filling into 6 sausages each 20cm long each and lay along the long edges of the pastry.

Roll up pastry and filling into logs, seal edge with some beaten egg.

Lay on a tray, baste tops with egg mixture and sprinkly on sesame seeds.

Bake at 200 degrees for 20 - 25 mins (pastry should be golden brown).

Edited by Goinghomesoon

Aussie sausage rolls?? Brie?? Cranberies?? Spring onions?? Chicken??

I think I know your problem, you are trying to use quality ingredients to recreate a taste of something that is not known for its quality. Look for lard, MSG, salt, and some mystery spices, don't ask silly questions like what cut of meat is used, hey don't even ask what animal it used to be.

The only thing most Aussie sausage rolls have in common with food, is that they are sold in the same store.

Ah, see I was blaming the quality of the Thai mince for the crap taste of my regular recipe. Now I know they are supposed to taste terrible :o

These were such a hit I even got up at 6am to cook up the final batch so my 9 year old could take them for school lunch. Not normally a gourmet cook I have actually been asked to make this recipe again :D

Aussie sausage rolls?? Brie?? Cranberies?? Spring onions?? Chicken??

I think I know your problem, you are trying to use quality ingredients to recreate a taste of something that is not known for its quality. Look for lard, MSG, salt, and some mystery spices, don't ask silly questions like what cut of meat is used, hey don't even ask what animal it used to be.

The only thing most Aussie sausage rolls have in common with food, is that they are sold in the same store.

:o:cheesy:

They are good when you are really hungry though! :D