Address

padma

I am about to freak!!!!

How the #@%&*^ does anyone find a place with an address written in english.

THere are no interactive maps of the city like mapquest. and thai's put you on a goose chase before you get anyway.

For instance where would 33/29 Moo3 Ramkhamheang Rd be?

I've googled it...with no luck...I've called the number noone can help.

no taxi driver knows.

HOw are you people finding places with just an address???

no taxi driver knows.

Moo 3 (village #3) will actually have a name. You'll have to find out what it is. It will more than likely be down a soi which should be numbered. You could try going to a post office somewhere on Ramkhamhaeng Road and ask them, they'll then ask a postman for the name of the village.

My moobaan is number 9 and has a name and the postman will deliver mail with either in the address.

Asking a taxi driver will do no good unless he coincidentally happens to live in that particular village.

a tricky one... if you don't have a bkk a-z...

i found a resturant in the vicinity of your objective... this may provide a useful starting point for you... does the taxi chap know it? does he know Samagone village, Ramkhamheang? maybe phone the resturant & ask them for directions (maybe a thai friend could phone for you)...

Vegeta Ramkhamheang Restaurant, 33/29 Moo3 Ramkhamheang Rd, Lemon Farm (health store) (opposite Samagone village) tel: 372-2175

sorry not to have been of more assistance... :o

I am about to freak!!!!

How the #@%&*^  does anyone find a place with an address written in english.

THere are no interactive maps of the city like mapquest.  and thai's put you on a goose chase before you get anyway.

For instance where would  33/29 Moo3 Ramkhamheang Rd be?

no taxi driver knows.

HOw are you people finding places with just an address???

Well, if you googled it, you might need a course in googling...Here is your answer

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en...+Rd&btnG=Search

The only other way I know is to go to the right road (which in reality, is often just nearby the actual street with that address), then ask shopkeepers until you're in Moo3, then start looking at addresses. '33' would be the main number and '29' would be the actual house number in the '33' group. House numbers only go in order if you are extremely lucky, ime. You can also go the local Post Office for directions to most any address in their delivery area.

And Thais have the same problem with addresses, which is why they normally just use various landmarks to give directions to a location :o

Can't help you much on specific street numbers, but as far as maps go ..

- I think most hotels in the Bkk area provide free nicely detailed street maps. Possibly the same is true other tourist areas.

- The company that produces "The Rough Guide ..." series of tourist books, also published a very nice plastic coated (i.e., waterproof, tearproof) map of Thailand in english. The ISBN number is 1-84353-216-6.

- I think most taxi drivers would be able to work better from a map.

- If you want specific taxi directions in thai, most hotels will help transcribe for you, at least well enough to get you close.

- I think this has been covered in another thread, but thai addresses usually are specified something like this.

- number

- village or town

- amphur

- province

- postal code

- The number is can be further broken down into parts of the street or village, lot numbers, and sections of lot numbers.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Didn't I read in The Bangkok Post that the authorities were trying to abolish the moos in Bangkok and renumber the houses sequentially?

Houses are numbered in the order in which they are built/registered. Our house in Khon Kaen is new and numbered 272. The next house to be build will be 273, no matter where it is in the village.

The only time houses are numbered sequentially is if a few are built at the same time and the builder applies for the numbers all together.

A Thai friend once told me to check with the noodle sellers at the head of the sois, they know everybody. But the local delivery PO is probably better. (Not all POs are delivery POs). Our postman has a little map of where all the numbers are in our area.

Lung Bing

I'm surprised you called and didn't get the answer... Next question: ask them if it's Sukhapiban 3 Road...

Ramkhamheang Rd has Soi numbers and it's missing here... This address is perhaps on Sukhapiban 3 Road (extension of Ramkhamheang starting in the Bangkapi area and going east to Minburi, Nong Chok, etc) because some people still use the name Ramkhamheang instead of Sukhapiban 3 Road in that area...

Regarding the address mentioned above: Vegeta Ramkhamheang Restaurant, 33/29 Moo 3 Ramkhamheang Rd, Lemon Farm (health store) (opposite Samagone village) tel: 372-2175:

"Lemon Farm" is now called "Golden Place" and is opposite SAMAKORN Village (Moo Ban SAMAKORN; well known in the area).

If I'm right, your address is 33/29 Moo 3, Sukhapiban 3 Road. It's enough for a taxi driver to find it if it's really around Moo Ban SAMAKORN. It's 10 minutes driving from the Ramkhamheang/Srinakarin intersection.

Didn't I read in The Bangkok Post that the authorities were trying to abolish the moos in Bangkok and renumber the houses sequentially?

We can't have that happening.

What would happen to all the little Phoo Yai Moo Bahn's?

They would all loose their dubious status.

Seriously, there is no rhyme or reason in Thai addresses, well rarely.

Ask the person to send you a sketch map, just like the Thai government does.

The Post and Telegraphs dept requires a skecth map to show the location of an address for an amateur radio station!!