Dependent Spouse Visa?

My husband and I are both U.S. citizens in our 30s. I am being sent to Thailand for work from March through December. I will still be fully an employee of my U.S. employer; I will just be working on-location in Thailand. As far as I know, I will be on some type of working visa (Non-Immigrant B?).

My husband is coming with me, but he will not be working. Is there such a thing as a dependent visa? I have read a little about the "O" visa, but most of what I read suggests that it is for the spouses of Thai nationals. Does it apply to non-Thai marriages? If he gets a dependent visa, will he be able to stay with me the entire time, or will he have to leave the country every 90 days for 90 days to get a new visa?

It seems that the more I read on this subject, the more confused I get, but I'm hopeful that the users of this forum might be able to help me sort this all out!

Thanks.

Angela

Unless you have a one year extension of stay from immigration inside Thailand no spouse visa/extension is available. As you only have a short job suspect you will not be obtaining an extension of stay but you should check that with employer. You should also check to make sure your employer is providing a work permit as any work in Thailand without one would not be legal. A non immigrant B visa does not allow work without a work permit.

Thanks for your reply.

The type of visa I will have is purely speculation at this point, at least on my end. I know my employer's lawyers are working on figuring out what I'll need. As for whether my employer is providing a work visa, I'll check into that.

Here's more on the situation: I teach at a university here in the States. We have been asked by one of the Thai universities to open an international branch of our department at their university in Thailand. Due to this, my university and the Thai university have been working closely together to get everything up and running by March. (I've been left in the dark about most of the details, of course.) Since the Thai university in question is either run by the Thai government or closely affiliated with it (from what I understand), I would hope that all the legal requirements have been stipulated and are being met.

My contract with MY university states that I will stay in Thailand through December, with the option of then renewing and continuing teaching at the Thai location.

So, lopburi3, you said: "Unless you have a one year extension of stay from immigration inside Thailand, no spouse visa/extension is available." Does that mean my husband will not be able to get any kind of visa? Will he be allowed in the country with me? Will he have to get the 30-day (?) tourist visa? Basically, will he be able to stay with me the whole time I'm there? If not, how long can he stay?

He can always obtain a tourist visa and likely a 2 entry which with normal 30 day extensions of stay would cover the six month period with one exit of the country required. As this may be a long term deal and a government facility expect they may arrange extension of stay and then he could obtain a non immigrant O visa and extend for the same time period. Your first post did not mention any Thai party so was concerned company may not have known requirements and expected the visa to allow work. In this case, with someone at the Thai end, do not believe you will have any issues. You probably should ask school what status your husband has as they may also be able to write up paperwork to allow a multi entry non immigrant O visa to be issued for him if there are no plans for your extension of stay.