Just Got An Sv Visa, Now Want A Schengen Visa

I have just got a UK settlement visa for my wife. Before we come to the UK, whilst we are still in Thailand, we feel it is best to now get a Schengen visa as we want to visit France. Should we apply in Bangkok, or wait till we get to London?

If we apply in Bangkok, do we simply visit the French embassy or is it like the British Embassy where an agency is used?

Any help here much appreciated.

She should apply for a Schengen visa in her country of residence so I guess it's up to you, Once your wife arrives in UK holding a settlement visa she will be deemed to be resident in UK so can apply once there, whilst before she arrives in UK she is resident in Thailand.

You apply at the embassy of the country you want to visit, so if it's France you want to go then apply at the French embassy.

My feeling is that it will be easier to fulfil the requirements and proof to make the application once you are in UK, such as detail of travel plans and medical insurance amongst others. Show your marriage certificate and the visa will be free for the spouse of a UK citizen.

Watch the 'use by' date of the visa if you intend to apply a long while before you expect to use it.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

She should apply for a Schengen visa in her country of residence so I guess it's up to you, Once your wife arrives in UK holding a settlement visa she will be deemed to be resident in UK so can apply once there, whilst before she arrives in UK she is resident in Thailand.

My wife is Thai and I understand that having the SV visa allows her to apply in the UK when she gets there. But, the question is would it be better in her case to apply in Thailand or in the UK if she is looking to go within the next six months to France.

Is the cost of the Schengen visa the same whether she applies in the UK or Thailand?

When applying for the visa should she contact the embassy first or just turn-up?

Help here appreciated

My wife is Thai and I understand that having the SV visa allows her to apply in the UK when she gets there. But, the question is would it be better in her case to apply in Thailand or in the UK if she is looking to go within the next six months to France.

Is the cost of the Schengen visa the same whether she applies in the UK or Thailand?

When applying for the visa should she contact the embassy first or just turn-up?

Did you read the above reply :o

The visa will be free whether you apply in Thailand or UK so yes, the same

You apply direct to the French Embassy/Consulate in either Bangkok or UK. It is by appointment or in UK can be by post or there are numerous visa agents who will handle it for her.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

Why is the Schengen visa free? Is it because my wife now has an SV visa, or are they just simply free to everyone?

How long does it take to get the visa in...

1) Bangkok

2) Thailand

Appreciating the help (did not know they were free )

Edited by SirPaul

Why is the Schengen visa free? Is it because my wife now has an SV visa, or are they just simply free to everyone?

It is an EU agreement, they are free to the spouse of a UK citizen irrespective of her immigration status in UK. You must produce a copy of your UK passport and your marriage certificate with her application as proof.

See French Embassy London

and French Embassy Bangkok

Edited by Mahout Angrit

This is all very helpful.

If you do not have an SV visa, but have a VV visa can you still apply in the UK or have you got to do it in Thailand

Someone told me that if you have a VV visa two times, you can get the third one for two years, not six months. Can anyone confirm this?

It is an EU agreement, they are free to the spouse of a UK citizen irrespective of her immigration status in UK. You must produce a copy of your UK passport and your marriage certificate with her application as proof.

See French Embassy London

and French Embassy Bangkok

The above links are most useful. Thanks for all the explanations. Will now make an appointment and I will post how it went next week. Just hope the application process is quick.

As a general rule of thumb the application should be made in the country of normal residence, so if your wife is in the UK as a visitor, she should apply at the applicable embassy in Thailand.

At any stage, someone may apply for a longer-validity visit visa, but whether one is issued is largely at the discretion of the visa officer. Also, although a visit visa may be valid for two years, the holder can still only stay in the UK a maximum of six months at a time. If at any stage it would seem that the holder is effectively living in the UK, s/he could be refused entry by the immigration officer on arrival.

Scouse.

^ Obtaining the Schengen visa from the French Embassy in London isn't as easy, in practice, as it should be. You have to book an appointment online and they only allow bookings for 2 months ahead max, the slots for which fill up remarkably quickly. They are also fussy about postal applications: for example, the Austrian Embassy readily accepted the wife's application by post from our place in Hampshire, while the French Emb website makes it clear that we'd have to be living in Dorset or Devon to use the post. We've got round it by using a courier service to the French Emb - as if by magic (or tea money) the couriers can get an appointment within 2 days, but naturally you pay for it.

In short, it may be easier/quicker to obtain the Schengen visa from the French Emb in Bangkok.

Edited by paully

^ Obtaining the Schengen visa from the French Embassy in London isn't as easy, in practice, as it should be. You have to book an appointment online and they only allow bookings for 2 months ahead max, the slots for which fill up remarkably quickly. They are also fussy about postal applications: for example, the Austrian Embassy readily accepted the wife's application by post from our place in Hampshire, while the French Emb website makes it clear that we'd have to be living in Dorset or Devon to use the post. We've got round it by using a courier service to the French Emb - as if by magic (or tea money) the couriers can get an appointment within 2 days, but naturally you pay for it.

In short, it may be easier/quicker to obtain the Schengen visa from the French Emb in Bangkok.

Will try and get a Schengen visa next Tuesday in Bangkok (19/02/2008). Will report on the experience so watch this space

Whilst it is 3 years since we last applied, my Thai wife had obtained several schengen visas for holidays in France. These were from London, FOC and sent and returned by post within 48 hours. On the first one they required a translation of the marriage certificate (English OK) STAMPED as an offical translation by the Thai Consulate on London

Whilst it is 3 years since we last applied, my Thai wife had obtained several schengen visas for holidays in France. These were from London, FOC and sent and returned by post within 48 hours. On the first one they required a translation of the marriage certificate (English OK) STAMPED as an offical translation by the Thai Consulate on London

I was given 2 marriage certificates one in Thai and the other in English. Will be using both when I go to Bangkok next week. My real concern is that want my wife to have holiday insurance, but I will not be able to get this until I go back to England. She has world-wide accident insurance, wonder if this will do and how strict they are over this.

Hi Paul,

My Thai wife and I reside in the uk and we have have recieved a Schengen visa from the German Embassy in Bankok shortly after she got the spouse visa. From memory you would be wise to get there before 8am if ou dont want to be there forever.

Do make sure that you have the apropriate travel insurance cover for your wife for a year before you even think about visiting the Embassy for a schengen visa.

In my case I just got Direct line to add her to my existing Policy and on reflection that was not a good move as my insurance policy elapsed after 3 or so months which resulted in the Embassy only issuing my wife with a 3 month schengen visa.

Either take out a new policy to cover both of you for european travel ( if you dont intend travelling outside of europe why pay more than necessary?) for the full 12 months and get the Company to send you a copy of the Policy by e-mail and take that to the Embassy.

They will ask when you intend to visit and it would be helpful if it was within a week or so aftr your return to the uk ( it ok if you change your mind after you get back to the uk) I explained that I visit Germany for dog shows ( which was true) as and when I can throughout the year so I could not confirm what hotels I would be staying in until the show dates were known to me as and when work permited me the time to travel at short notice.

I was disapointed at the 3 month visa and they explained if I had a full years insurance they would have lengthened the visa period.

Take my tip, dont wait until you get back to the uk, unless you want to travel to london to get a visa several times a year that is, to me its a pain in the backside.

My Wife has had a schengen visa from the Swedish Embassy in London and also the Austrian Embassy, by law the embassys are suposed to issue the schengen without charge, but in fact most Embassies subcontract out the visa service to a private company ( or maybe they own the company?) and although the Embassy can technically get away with claiming to have provided the visa free of charge the reality is the Embassies appointed Agents charge a fee for " processing" the Visa Application.

I dont know about you but when I have money go out of my pocket for a service that is supposed to be free of charge to sposes of all EU persons I dont care what label you put on it but I still regard it as a charge for a service that should be free!

If you let people take liberties they rarely fail to do so.

Neither the Swedish Embassy or the Austrian Embassy charged a fee, the Austrian Embassy also issued it by post for 3 months.

I would avoid the French, Belgian, Dutch and Spanish Embassies in the uk like the plague, take far too long and who wants to go there every few months?

I live in kent so I regularly travel to france for the day trips but sometimes my wife cannot come with me as her visa needs renewing at the time we want to go on the spur of the moment.

If you have friends who have a home in a Schengen Country and they are prepared to give you a letter to confirm that you are a regular visitor or renter of the property then that may help you get a longer visa period on the schengen visa.

The insurance is the key issue but I would take the bank statement just in case but I certainly would challenge the Embassies right to ask for proof of support whilst on holiday as this would appear to be in breach of the Human Rights Act which cover the Right to marrage and family life without interference.

I hope this helps, and if you want to contact me off line just let me know.

All the best

Roy

To be honest it sounds as if everyone just has a mixed bag of experiances depending on the embassy at the time - just try for France in Bangkok and see how you get on - and update us!

Unlike previous posters we have never had any problems getting Schengen visas free of charge but I am in Scotland and use the embassies in Edinburgh which are probably less hectic than the ones in London. Holland needed a lot of documents which they sent to London to issue but both Spain and Italy were hassle free. The Italians didn't even take the documents I had provided to prove we were going and just took the flight confirmation e-mail from ryan air, my passport, marriage cert and hubby's passport. Three days later he had a multiple entry 6 month visa. The Spanish issued it for exactly the lenght we needed but that was all we asked for. All were free and all were without an appointment or proof of insurance.

In fact my friend had a lot of hassle with the French who wanted hotel bookins and finance proof etc - but we haven't dealt with them yet.

Good luck and hopefully Bangkok should be easy enough - they should be!!

Edited by caledonia

I applied for a Schengen visa at the French Consulate in London shortly after I managed to change my visa from student to Spouse iwas granted. It was quite straight forward although I had to spend half a day there. No questions asked. The officer saw the original of our marriage certificate, my partner's passport and my passport (both originals and photocopies A MUST) and that was it.

As for the appointment it can be a pain. But as a spouse of an EU citizens, they have a separate section on the internet where you can go in and book the appointment which would be in the afternoon (reserved for spouses). Failing that they also release more appointment slots for the next week every Thursday afternoons as well.

Edited by MrsExpat2B

Hi Paul,

As stated previously without the insurance in place first you just will not get a visa, you still have time to contact a uk insurance company to send you an email copy of the Insurance Certificate/ proof of insurance, just trying to save you the time and stress

roy

Life is not simple, applying for visas is never straight-forward. This forum certainly helps, but until you go there and apply, there is nothing definate. No rule book can be followed, for there is no sure gaurantee that something unforseen will not pop up and bring to a halt the application process.

So with all the comments posted on the TV Forum about visa application (some have been most helpful), my application has been stopped for 1 day by a minor hickup. Now you have to think my wife has just been given a UK settlement visa - there was no problems with her application, so you would think that the same paper-work would be OK for a Schengen visa, well not true.

Here goes an explanation that can only happen with Bureaucrats, and a little dose of being in Thailand to mix. I will tell the story as it unfolds, it will be a bit of a read, but a good one for those of you who want to apply for a Schegen visa in Thailand. It will also prove worthwhile for those wanting to learn more about Thai marriage documentation and for those of you that who simply like a story with an unexpected ending.

Firstly, I have to say that do not bother printing out any application forms from the Internet as when I arrived at the French visa application place ( ) I simply went up to the information window where I explained I was married and had just been given a UK settlement visa. I then explained I wanted to go with my wife to Paris for a 4 day holiday. I was given the Tourist Visa form, not the same form I had printed off. When I asked how much the application would be, I was told it was free. Good start, I was happy at this stage.

Had all the paperwork on me, so we went to a desk and started to optimistically fill in the form. It was one piece of paper, but both sides had to be completed. Thought this was good, no big book. Questions straight-forward at first, nothing difficult. Got to question 22 then I realised they wanted to play silly-baggers (bit dissapointed really as all the questions up to this stage had been reasonable) - question asks "Type of Visa". Now on a form that is supposed to be for a Tourist Visa, why? Four options ae given, and you would only think at this stage "Long Stay" is out. But the other three sort of describe what you want but do not - result leave it blank as you need help with this one. Now 24,26,27, 32, 34, and 35 could not be answered in a definate fashion and so had to be left blank too. By the time you get to signing the form, your not sure if you or your wife should sign!

So back to the information window, queue again, and then get help - this was someone telling you just to tick this box, and write this down, etc. When it was all done, I then had to go and queue up at the window where you handed over your application and all the associated papers. I had a long wait here - queued for over 30 minutes. Some people were told to go elsewhere, others were dealt with.

Whilst queing I was a little worried that we were wasting our time. You see, if you read the previous postings in this thread you will see people were suggesting you need a hotel, travel itienary and insurance. Even the Schengen appliaction form (question 34) asked about the hotel you would be staying in. I answered (with help) "in Paris", and "soon to book on return to U.K.". Had the application not have been free I would have been put off by now.

At the window, I thought the lady was very good. She took the application form, checked it, then proceeded to go through all our paper-work. She asked for my passport and made a copy of the page she required. Then she said "Your marriage papers, you do not have a stamp from the British Embassy showing they are official." I had all our marriage papers on me, and even showed her the receipt from the British Embassy. She said they are not good enough and she needs one with a stamp on it. She then added "If I give her 3000 Bhat I could make the application now as the applicatoin would go ahead like my wife was not married to me." I said "this is wrong - the papers were good enough to get my settlement visa and they looked official to me". She said she needed the stamp. Of all the things I thought we were going to be rejected on, this was not the one!

So we left and went off to the British Embassy to find out more about the stamp and the need for it. After a short wait, I spoke with an Englishman working there. Apparently, even though the marriage is done through the embassy, the paperwork the embassy issue is for the Thai authorities, and it is the Thai authorities who issue me with my current wedding documents. They keep the paperwork from the British Embassy. The documents are recognised in the UK as they are aware that to have such documents you must have went to the British Embassy. The documents are also recognised by Thai authorities. So if I applied for the Schengen visa at any embassy in the UK, no problem. But the documents issued by the Thai authorities are not recognised elsewhere - so you need something from the British Authorities (in this case the British Embassy) to show you are officially married in the UK.

It was further explained that Spain has been asking for a letter from the British Embassy for a while now. The official was surprised to hear that France now wanted something too. I further explained to the official that The French visa place wanted a stamp on the marriage documentaton. He told me that this was not such a good option as the stamp was 1700 Bhat but to stamp the document approval was needed from the Thai authorities that issued it. This approval costs money and your documents then have to be sent to them and after they have given approval, they are sent back to the British Embassy for stamping. Stamping the documents thus takes at least 5 days.

So, on hearing all this I asked for a letter - price 2200 Bhat (well did you think it would be free?) You pay and then have to come back the following day to collect it - so now the Schengen visa application has been put on hold for one day.

At this stage I have to be honest I was tempted to give up and wait till I got back to the UK.

However, I decided to go ahead with the letter mainly because extra documentation to prove we are married may come in handy in the future, especially if we intend to travel elsewhere. So now I have to go tomorrow back tomorrow to the UK embassy and collect our proof of marriage in the UK letter. My plan is then to make some copies and then go back to the French visa place again. If they tell me the documents have to be stamped and they cannot accept a letter I will kick up a fuss as the UK embassy official said the letter is good enough. If my application does fail at the French visa place (I feel it might as they seem to want 3000 Bhat), I will be off to the Spanish visa place, where I know for sure a letter is good enough (only worry here is what beauracratic trick have they got up their sleeves).

Now as for holdiay insurance - they want you to have this along with your trip itenary, but I have checked with the UK official at the British Embassy and really they have no right to stop the application on the grounds of insurance. They have to give my wife a Schengen visa as I am an EU citizen.

The other rumour someone said is that if we get a Schengen Visa to visit France, than at a later date, if we want to go to Spain we will have to travel to France first. Again the UK official said this is simply not true. A Schengen visa allows you to visit any of the member countries.

How long does the Schengen application take? I now know. After handing in your application in the French Visa Place, I was told it would take 5 days to process.

They tell us it is best to apply for the Schengen visa in the country of origin of the person who is applying, but in reality if this country is Thailand then financially it is not the best option.

Hope this clarifies matters. Will keep you all informed with this application as it unfolds.

Hi Paul,

Sorry your are having his difficulty but if I were you I would get my backside down to the german Embassy, we got my wife's schengen visa without out a problem.

I really dont understand why you think that your wifes application is anything to do with the British Embassy, Britain opted out of the Schengen Agreement and are certainly have no right( or I suspect,desire) to intervene in another Member States entry arangements for non EU citizens.

What it is you really want?

If you want a Schengen Vis then go to an Embassy of a Country that is a Signatory to the Schengen Visa Agreement visa.

If however you really prefer to get involved in an argument with the Embassy of the Country you want your wife to visitor then you are on the right track.

I can think of nothing more likely to delay the issues of a visa than to start off upsetting the Embassy Staff by quoting to them how the British Embassy think they should police their border controls.

Insurance is required,your wife does not hold a EU passport and therefore is not entitled to recieve the benfits of the healthcare arrangements between EU Member States , why should a Country take a chance on your wife becoming a burden on their health Services?

If your wife got a tooth ache it would cost YOU ( not the NHS or the other EU State she was visiting far more than it would cost to get the right insurance for a year.

A years travel insurance for you and you wife is likely to be around £100-£150 I would guess, ( £143 for me and my wife's renewal this year), get a translation of your thai marrage certificate and have it certified at the UK Embassy if it is necessary and then go get your Schengen visa.

Dont restrict your self to a 4 day break tell them you intend to be a frequent cross channel shopper

and ask them politely (BEFORE they stamp her Visa!) to give her the Visa for the full period shown on your insurance documentation.

I got confirmantion of my wifes Insurance sent same day by email by Direct line which was accepted by the German Embassy without a problem.

Try the German Austrian or Swedish Embassy, the French Embassy would be my LAST port of call.

All the Best

Roy

I never bother with buying any travel insurances. Mr Expat2B holds a credit card that entitles himself and his spouse (or someone who lives in the same address as him), which is me, a travel insurance when we travel. So I made a photocopy of the page of the policy booklet (also brought originals with me) and a copy of the credit card statement showing that he holds the credit card. That was the second time I applied for a Schegen visa (first time as a spouse however), neither of which I was asked for proof of travel insurance). So be sure your wife isn't already covered. In my case I will not be covered the minute I buy travel insurance from elsewhere.

The latest update on my applicatoin. Got the letter from the British Embassy, photocopied it, and my application was accepted at the French visa place, no charge was made. Will know next wednesday if the application was successful as that is when I have been told that the passport will be ready for collection.

If your wife were in the UK on her settlement visa, she could apply for a European Health Insurance Card free of charge and this would satisfy the health insurance requirement.

Scouse.

This is true, but everyone was saying that my wife would be best applying for the Schengen visa in her country of origin. so I thought we would do this. Also, when I get back I will not want to spend time doing this, but now I am on holiday I have the time. I also enjoy getting taxis, learning about regulations and visiting embassies (sick really). Also, the experience will help others who do not have the time to apply in the UK.

WeI will apply for the E11 new insurance card when we get back to the UK. We will also apply for travel insurance, but again we will do all this when we get back to the UK. The thing is, we are still in Thailand, so we are just simply applying for a Schengen visa, which she is entitled too. The insurance and itenary information should not be required and I am hoping that our application is successful.

Will keep you informed, Let you know what happens when we collect the passport.

Thanks for all the help, your information has been useful.

Hi Paul

Not entirely sure the Scouser is correct on this one.

But as it takes 7 to 10 days for the European Health Card to be issued in the UK and as your wife is unlikely to have a National Insurance Number issued until she arrives in the UK I would imagine the cost of £100 or so for insurance would be preferable to having to wait until you get to the UK, apply and wait for an NI number to be issued and then to wait another week or so for the European Health Card issued.

All this before you can apply for the Schengn Visa in the UK.

If you dont mind the wait and inconvienience of travelling to whatever Embassy you are applying to in london then you might save £100 or so but how much is will cost you both to travel to the embassy from wherever you will be living in the uk I dont know, if its some distance from London possibly an Hotel job?

Be interested to hear what way you decide to proceed and how it finally works out for you both.

By the way you might like to know the European Health Card lasts for 5 years.

All the Best

Roy

The requirement imposed by Schengen countries for non-EEA spouses of EEA nationals to have some form of insurance has always perplexed me because to insist upon such is a barrier to free movement. However, Mrs. Scouse, in the days before she was British, always went along with the provision and an EHIC was always found to be acceptable by the German authorities.

The plot thickens, however. A cursory check of the websites of the German and French embassies in London show travel insurance, of whatever description, to no longer be required in relation to spouses of EEA nationals, which is more in keeping with the principles of the thing.

Scouse.

The requirement imposed by Schengen countries for non-EEA spouses of EEA nationals to have some form of insurance has always perplexed me because to insist upon such is a barrier to free movement. However, Mrs. Scouse, in the days before she was British, always went along with the provision and an EHIC was always found to be acceptable by the German authorities.

The plot thickens, however. A cursory check of the websites of the German and French embassies in London show travel insurance, of whatever description, to no longer be required in relation to spouses of EEA nationals, which is more in keeping with the principles of the thing.

Scouse.

We will know next Wednesday 27th February 2008 if the need for insurance is compulsory or not. This is the day we have been told to collect the passport. The application was free, they did try and get 3000 Bhat (see above), so I am feeling if they accepted al our papers, the chances of getting the visa must be good, else they are giving themselves a lot of work for nothing!

Scouse,

I may also be helping Mrs E. get the S.visa soon for a trip to 'gay paris' and will try your sugggestion of the European Health Insurance Card, given she's got ILR and not citizenship. Will be interesting to see what happens. Do you know if this has ben enough in the past?

Cheers,

Robin