Hey, Where Are You From?

amanda76

Hello,

I was just having a conversation with my investors, and they asked a really good question.

How many expats are in Phuket, and where are most of them from.

We were on the subject of Resturants and such, and I know that different people from different places like many different things when it comes to dining out. By no means is this a competition, but I would love to know how many Americans are here on the island.

Working here, retired, vacationing?

I know, having read the forum in depth, that there are many from the UK and Germany, ad various other places.

I love the mix and find trying to place the language or accent I am hearing in the line at the store to be very fun.

So, where are you from? And What is your favorite dish! Regardless of its region or country.

Like I am West American and I love Chicken Masala from India.

~a~

PS: Siam Real Estate found me (2) PERFECT HOUSES!!!!

Hello,

I was just having a conversation with my investors, and they asked a really good question.

We were on the subject of Resturants and such, and I know that different people from different places like many different things when it comes to dining out. By no means is this a competition, but I would love to know how many Americans are here on the island.

I know, having read the forum in depth, that there are many from the UK and Germany, ad various other places.

I love the mix and find trying to place the language or accent I am hearing in the line at the store to be very fun.

So, where are you from? And What is your favorite dish! Regardless of its region or country.

~a~

PS: Siam Real Estate found me (2) PERFECT HOUSES!!!!; Oh that's sickening, UGH.

HI Amanda,

Great news about finding a house. You must be pleased. Great photo on your profile page :o , I bet you are quite high maintennce..haha

Siam Real Estate's website is good for finding rentals. I will admit. The house you rented, did they have a for rent sign out front? As I am debating whether I should go through an agency or just find a house by myself.

Ok back to the original question...I am a citizen of the world with a US passport issued originaly issued at the Los Angeles Passport Authority. I thinkl you can figure out the rest

Where you from? YOu remind me a California Girl

Hello,

~a~

Who are these investors I feel I need to Know ? :o

Hello,

~a~

I see following the warning from the mods to Siam Real Estate to stop pitching themselves has now resorted to them getting there customers to do it for them ! :o

Misterman. If you dont mind paying as much as 30-50% more than what it would cost you to do it yourself, and/or dont have the time then SRE are pretty good and will find a place for you.

The house im renting now was on the SRE website for 30,000 baht a month. I noticed the house one day on my travels (its quite distinctive) so I asked for the tel number from a neighbor, when I called the landlord quoted me 20,000 baht.... At the end of the day convenience (or just being plain lazy) will always come at a premium !

Back on topic: I am English and I love a gold old English breakfast ! :D

Valley girl, I'd say valley girl "Like, Phuket is sooooo grooooooovey!!!"

Americans in Phuket, I'd say under 1000. Might even be under 500.

Larger segment of Expats, Europeans. Topping the list, I'd say Brits, followed by Germans, Italians & smatterings of Scandanavians.

Favoite food, Thai barbecue.

Hey...

I'm from the UK, South Devon & Cornwall originally. Learnt to surf in freezing cold Atlantic waves!

Now happily living in Phuket and fair weather surfing. Can't wait for the season so start in April!

Food wise I love most things - am currently learning to cook Thai food... but you can't beat a decent fry up the morning after a good night out on the razz!

Take it easy...

Cheers,

//Bob

As for me: British but I lived for many years on the French Riviera before coming here. I work in Singapore for an American company, relax on Phuket, have a Thai GF, practice a Japanese religion and love Mediterranean vegetarian food. All pretty run of the mill really…

Hello,

I see following the warning from the mods to Siam Real Estate to stop pitching themselves has now resorted to them getting there customers to do it for them ! :o

Misterman. If you dont mind paying as much as 30-50% more than what it would cost you to do it yourself, and/or dont have the time then SRE are pretty good and will find a place for you.

The house im renting now was on the SRE website for 30,000 baht a month. I noticed the house one day on my travels (its quite distinctive) so I asked for the tel number from a neighbor, when I called the landlord quoted me 20,000 baht.... At the end of the day convenience (or just being plain lazy) will always come at a premium !

We never had any warning from moderators and never violated our guidelines for posting as a sponsor.

We were happy to help Amanda76 find what she was looking for as she had been trying independently with no luck, she was able to find what she was looking for and the owner of the house was happy to find a good tenant and pay the commission for us marketing his property and finding a good, long term tenant meeting his specific requirements also.

Many people have properties for rent but don't put a up sign, especially when the properties are more high end or perhaps the owners live overseas.

I have noticed that many people recommend a businesses on Thai Visa when they are happy with the service whether it be a restaurant, computer repair, bike shop, lawyer, or anything.

Hello,

We never had any warning from moderators and never violated our guidelines for posting as a sponsor.

We were happy to help Amanda76 find what she was looking for as she had been trying independently with no luck, she was able to find what she was looking for and the owner of the house was happy to find a good tenant and pay the commission for us marketing his property and finding a good, long term tenant meeting his specific requirements also.

Many people have properties for rent but don't put a up sign, especially when the properties are more high end or perhaps the owners live overseas.

I have noticed that many people recommend a businesses on Thai Visa when they are happy with the service whether it be a restaurant, computer repair, bike shop, lawyer, or anything.

I agree 100% with everything you say, if people are happy then why not shout about it.

On the other hand I wish to share my experience on here too with regards to doing it yourself. It is a fact that I saved 10,000 baht per month by NOT going through Siam Real Estate. Again, convenience will always come at a very high price !

Wow!

Let's try and stay focused. The topic is "Where are you from?"

I am from Bakersfield, California. Near but not on the water. Grew up in the foot hills with my father.

I found a fantastic (secret) place, Khun Woddy's... Sorry for the plug, but they are delicious.

I found another, but forget the name. Awesome Onion Rings, Huge Brownies!!!!

No good beer yet though. Continue Searching....

~a~

Wow!

I am from Bakersfield, California. Near but not on the water. Grew up in the foot hills with my father.

I found a fantastic (secret) place, Khun Woddy's... Sorry for the plug, but they are delicious.

~a~

>>Bakersfield, California

What lake is near Bakersfield?  

Bakersfield is one of those armpits you drive throuh on the way to go snowboarding and skiing in Mammoth. I think there is a Denny's there.

There might be some man made lakes up there too.with the kind of place where river rats go on a day off like sunday to tear it up.

I have heard that Thai Visa is full of mostly expats from the Uk, it was actually a complaint made ....about this forum however I feel it is pretty international.

Bakersfield is one of those armpits you drive throuh on the way to go snowboarding and skiing in Mammoth. I think there is a Denny's there.

There might be some man made lakes up there too.with the kind of place where river rats go on a day off like sunday to tear it up.

I have heard that Thai Visa is full of mostly expats from the Uk, it was actually a complaint made ....about this forum however I feel it is pretty international.

Yes I think mostly from the UK we have this thing about colonising places :o

Wow!

~a~

>>Bakersfield, California

What lake is near Bakersfield?

Who is Lake Isabella!... :D

I'll take Small Rivers in China for 400, Alex!

Personally, I love the Brittish. They fight good when we bring them with us for war and stuff.

Posh Spice needs to run and hide.

Clive Owen .... Well, I am a lady! :o

~a~

Personally, I love the Brittish. They fight good when we bring them with us for war and stuff.

Oh my god... just nearly pissed myself laughing at this! Good things forums as you don't always know when people are being serious or taking the piss! :o

Easy..

//Bob

Thanks for the Sandwich Shoppe plug. :o:D :D

(My granddad lived in Bakersfield. Used to take us bass fishing on Lake Isabella.)

I'm from Phuket, really - been here seven years, and it's home. Before that I lived in Colorado for 15 years, up on a mountain in Coal Creek Canyon, not too far from Boulder. Before that I was in Saudi Arabia, but that's a different story entirely.

I would guess - and it's only a guess - that there are about 500 American families that live full-time in Phuket. Americans are outnumbered, by far, by Scandinavians and Brits. If you count people who live here three or four months out of the year, every year, the number would double, at least.

I have many favorite dishes, but my favorite Thai dish is mango and sticky rice, kao neow ma muang.

Edited by woodyleonhard

Thanks for the Sandwich Shoppe plug. :o:D:D

(My granddad lived in Bakersfield. Used to take us bass fishing on Lake Isabella.)

I'm from Phuket, really - been here seven years, and it's home. Before that I lived in Colorado for 15 years, up on a mountain in Coal Creek Canyon, not too far from Boulder. Before that I was in Saudi Arabia, but that's a different story entirely.

I would guess - and it's only a guess - that there are about 500 American families that live full-time in Phuket. Americans are outnumbered, by far, by Scandinavians and Brits. If you count people who live here three or four months out of the year, every year, the number would double, at least.

I have many favorite dishes, but my favorite Thai dish is mango and sticky rice, kao neow ma muang.

Hey woody.  On a side note (I''ve never had one of your sandwiches) but from what I understand, your sandwiches ( at least in chalong) consist mainly of bread and not much inside actual meat, cheese or whatever the sandwich happens to be.  Can you please make your sandwiches American style with lots of meat and cheese along with vegies for an actual sandwich.

Edited by steelepulse

Personally, I love the British

Don't want to be rude, but do Americans actually realise that Britain isn't a country. On American sitcoms they always say 'this British guy' and then do a terrible snooty English accent. I've got nothing against the sweaty socks, the paddies or the sheep sha**ers, I've been to all there countries several times and have a lot of time for them all, but I find it strange when we all get lumped together under the label British. As far as I know most non English Brits, like to distance themselves as much as they can from us as well.

Anyway love nearly all food but one of my faves is 'gairng peht bpeht yarng' (Red curry with grilled duck)

Personally, I love the British

Don't want to be rude, but do Americans actually realise that Britain isn't a country. On American sitcoms they always say 'this British guy' and then do a terrible snooty English accent. I've got nothing against the sweaty socks, the paddies or the sheep sha**ers, I've been to all there countries several times and have a lot of time for them all, but I find it strange when we all get lumped together under the label British. As far as I know most non English Brits, like to distance themselves as much as they can from us as well.

Anyway love nearly all food but one of my faves is 'gairng peht bpeht yarng' (Red curry with grilled duck)

Thanks Woohoo....nice to know you have time for us "paddies"!! :D ..and we don't mind being known as such...now that we are at the top of the heap in terms of respect (but not so only a mere few years ago) and money. Americans think that if you speak English, then you are.

By the way (...or the sheep sha**ers,), we have lovely sheep here in "Oirland" as well!! Some with lipstick on!! :o

Is lake Isabella a natural lake? I thought it was man made, like Lake Pyramid. :o

Khun Woody's backery is great for salads too,I like a bit of bacon on my mind. The service is not the fastest but they are nice and it is a nice place to relax and read a bit. hard to find a decent salad for 100baht elsewhere

Ask for the Italian dressing too as it is not on the menu.

About American families living in Phuket, 500 is pretty low but what about single guys and girls living in Phuket from da U.S of A? The US conular services are comming to Phuket in March mabye you an ask them.

Before Phuket...

That would be Malaysia. And before Malaysia, Switzerland. Before that was the USA and I moved there from England. Way back it was Brazil....

Now where did I put that application for World Citizenship?