Teacher's Visa Thailand

goldie3151

I have been recently asked this question,- do you have a degree?

Later on I was told "this is a requirement of the Min. of Education in Thailand.

Can someone tell me how difficult (or not) it is to get a visa to teach in Thailand, if you have a TESL and university training (certificate) but do not have a degreeicon14.gif

First - Go look in the teaching forum!

What you need and what they accept is a grey area...but essentially if you want to teach in Thailand you need a degree and a TEFL cert.

You then need a Non-immigrant "B" visa, awork permit and probably a teachers licence....this will then only entitle you to work for one company in one location.

So you need to find the job first and then the company or yourself should set about getting legal.

(you even need a degree for most other work,....but that is never followed up.)

even if you have a degree, tefl and non-imm B visa it may be many months before you obtain a work permit. Some schools insist on 3-month probationary periods (by law severance pay is compulsory after 3 months employment but not before) and then they will process your wp and that can take up to 3 months worst case. So 6 months no wp. Those 6 months you have worked illegally but that's the way the system works here. Many teachers without degrees fly under the radar and work through agencies or hourly-paid language schools. Although illegal, this is Thailand and I do not know of any cases of teachers getting into trouble working this way.

And whilst we are discussing whether you absolutely must have a bachelor's degree to teach legally in Thailand and get a visa extension and a work permit, is that a settled fact? Not whether the Teachers' Council of Thailand wants to run the entire education profession here, but whether in fact you absolutely must? I am trying to avoid opening up the hopeless debate about the value of a degree (I think they are often valuable for most graduates throughout various stages of their varied careers). Has the door actually really closed on folks with a two year degree, HNC, HND, one semester short of graduating?

And whilst we are discussing whether you absolutely must have a bachelor's degree to teach legally in Thailand and get a visa extension and a work permit, is that a settled fact? Not whether the Teachers' Council of Thailand wants to run the entire education profession here, but whether in fact you absolutely must? I am trying to avoid opening up the hopeless debate about the value of a degree (I think they are often valuable for most graduates throughout various stages of their varied careers). Has the door actually really closed on folks with a two year degree, HNC, HND, one semester short of graduating?

The value of a degree would seem to be another topic and I don't see where it has been raised on this thread to any great extent.

Otherwise, from what has been written and quoted here and other places lately, it would be hard to dispute that "teachers" (not university lecturers) are in need of a degree to sit for the TL course being run by the TCT and that completion of said course (at some point) will be a necessary component for securing a work permit, extending a visa, etc.

Does this mean there will not be exceptions? No.

Does this possibly mean the exceptions will only be exceptions? Yes.

Does any of this cause me to lose sleep or affect my b/p? No.

Edited by mopenyang

I was told by a Chiang Mai teacher that he had been told by his school that he would need to go to a Rajabaht in Bangkok every weekend for a year to complete study for his Teacher Proficiency exam. The school said farang pays for the course, farang pays for travel each weekend to BKK, the farang pays for accommodation in BKK, the farang pays for the exam. Now considering that most farang teachers don't earn much and most have come to Thailand so that they can enjoy weekends you can imagine this command from his school wasn't greeted with enthusiasm by the farang staff. The school has now dropped their plan.

Nobody really knows what's happening with the TK and MOE but I just can't see it working. This plan for TLs are for Thai teachers primarily and the dumbnuts at the MOE think they can use this master plan for farangs - ain't gonna happen. Translation? Thais doing the training in English? coordinating with Immigration for visas? come on. Whenever resistance meets a critical level to a government proposal in Thailand, the dam breaks, everything is forgotten, and everyone goes back to sleep.

The requirements for those wishing to teach legally in Thailand without a degree is as follows:

1- Go to university a earn a degree.

By doing that one step, you will than have a degree and you will be able to get legal work easier.

I have to agree with aussie here.

I was teaching over 5 years ago with a higher national diploma but no degree.

I couldn't get legal in BKK and felt like a cheat.

I brought my qualification up to a degree and have gone on to begin a PGCE.

I managed to do all this and stay in Thailand.

Most people need to leave Thailand to do this and hey the place isn't going anywhere.

I know some great teachers manage to get plenty of work without these qualifications.

For me it's just not worth the risk.

At least if the shit hits the fan I will have quaifications to go elsewhere in Asia (S.Korea, Japan, China, Taiwan).

Get a proper degree and you will be in a much better positon.

You might even learn things along the way.

Best of luck anyway.

Surely, if you're a young lad or lass (under 30 years) without a degree, by all means run back home to the motherland and get a proper degree. OTOH, what if you/re over 45? What if the nearest uni course, taught in English, is 300 km away? What if (like my mate who actually has a real BA, nearly a BEd but not quite) what if you just lost your job that has always paid 25K for 11 months, the wife just had a baby, and your house out in the provinces doesn't even have a back door?

Kudos to folks like garro who did it. But what if this whole TCT licensing thingamabob is just horseshit?

I just read that to get a Teacher's License you have to take a 20 hour course in Thai Culture, which is okay except its in bangkok and thus really inconvenient for all the upcountry teachers. You would think a course like that could easily be done over the Internet. I also read you have to do a one year 27 hour credit hour course. If the Thais count a credit hour the same way the Americans do, that means you would have to take nine courses or 27 hours a week. That is a pretty heavy work load. Am I reading this wrong or what? Issangeorge.

Are TLs a requirement to teach here. I have a work permit and I thought I was ok. Now all this talk about TLs. :o

I think you answered your own question already.

So you are saying I need a TL?

No, I'm saying at this stage for the vast majority of people working legally it's just TALK at the moment.

What I've heard is that there's a 20-hour culture thing. Not too much of a problem. The problem is the proposed Teacher Proficiency exam for the TL. Chiang Mai teachers I know have been told this:

1) need 1 year's experience

2) course is in BKK at weekends spread over a year

3) teacher must pay travel, study and accommodation costs

4) teacher must give up weekends

5) teacher will have a piece of paper, if they pass the exam, that's worthless outside of Thailand

6) training by Thai instructors with Thai-translated materials. There will be constant friction as the farang teachers won't understand that they're not supposed to ask the teacher questions. Especially questions the Thai instructor doesn't know the answer to

7) somebody on this board reported they were quoted 75,000 baht for the course

8) translation of the MoE document for Thai teachers taking this course is that only the examination is compulsory, NOT the training.

9) curriculum written for Thai teachers teaching subjects NOT language nor subjects taught in a foreign language. Irrelevant for farang teaching English and probably irrelevant for farang teaching subjects in a language not the students' first language

Do you think anyone will accept this if it happens?

I won't.

Edited by Loaded

The requirements for those wishing to teach legally in Thailand without a degree is as follows:

1- Go to university a earn a degree.

By doing that one step, you will than have a degree and you will be able to get legal work easier.

Alternatively .. instead of spending 4 years of your life at Uni, soley to teach in Thailand,go to any Government School in a nice crisp freshly ironed shirt and tie and they will fall over backwards to get you legal.

4 guys I did my TESOL training with last year had no degree and are all happily working legally in Govt. Schools.I have a degree, but I'm working illegally at the moment (until May), go figure!

PS .. you must like ceiling fans and no air-con .. but the cafeteria food is nice and cheap.

:o

Edited by kowneeoh

4 guys I did my TESOL training with last year had no degree and are all happily working legally in Govt. Schools.I have a degree, but I'm working illegally at the moment (until May), go figure!
Note the contrast: his non-degreed mates got legal, and the degreed guy works illegally. Was same for me.

Note the contrast: his non-degreed mates got legal, and the degreed guy works illegally. Was same for me.

Isn't that often the choice of the teacher, i.e., willing to put up with excuses from the administration regarding why they can't make you legal or continuing to work illegally at a particular school for personal reasons such as proximity to one's residence? I find it very hard to believe that you (with a degree) could not have gotten a legal teaching position if you had decided that was a primary goal for you even if it required moving to another school, etc.

Likewise. I too was legal without a facny piece of paper :o

I think the people who find out that they are underqualified and can still get legal jump at the chance. On the other hand, i've know a few degree holders that know they can get legal whenever they want, but they choose not to go through the headache. The don't want the hassle of changing workpermits when they leave their employer, etc. They play the system; to be honest I don't blame them.

Isn't that often the choice of the teacher, i.e., willing to put up with excuses from the administration regarding why they can't make you legal or continuing to work illegally at a particular school for personal reasons such as proximity to one's residence? I find it very hard to believe that you (with a degree) could not have gotten a legal teaching position if you had decided that was a primary goal for you even if it required moving to another school, etc.

To answer your question, mo, yes it was my fault. I never should have taken that first illegal job, nor the second one. But back then, all I knew was what I had learned on ajarnforum for the previous six and eighteen months, and I thought it wouldn't be so bad for the first year. Then it seemed impossible to get a job in Chiang Mai, in spite of a brilliant demo class in which I had the summer school dummies singing a Broadway show tune, on key. Finally, I was offered 200 baht per hour for part time work (and huge commute distances) after 3.5 semesters full-time experience.

It will be legal for me to be an employee in another six months. However, I'm not going to give up my easy retirement visa, and go back into the hot house for 30K a month, full time. And they don't give out work permits in Chiang Mai to part timers. It seems to me that if you insist on being legal, you limit yourself tremendously.