Canadian shot on a songthaew in Chiang Mai

menostay

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canadian man shot in Thailand

An Ontario man is in stable condition in a Thai hospital Wednesday after being shot in the back while on holiday with his wife.

A Thai investigator examines the bus the man and his wife were riding in when he was shot.A Thai investigator examines the bus the man and his wife were riding in when he was shot.

He is in the McCormick Hospital in the city of Chiang Mai, about 700 kilometres north of the capital, Bangkok. Earlier reports said he was in a coma.

The man and his wife were travelling in an open pickup truck Wednesday morning when he suddenly slumped forward. They had just checked out of their hotel and were on their way to join a three-day elephant riding and hiking trek.

Used commonly for public transport in Thailand, the pickup trucks, called songtao, have open windows and covered bench seating in the back.

Police said the shooting was accidental and didn't originate from anyone else on the vehicle. They said they don't have any leads and have made no arrests. Witnesses said they didn't hear any shots.

Doctors at the hospital say the angle of the bullet wound suggests he was shot from up high, possibly from a high-rise building. The couple were sitting with their backs to the street while in the truck.

Officials at the Canadian Embassy in Thailand haven't provided any information and are referring all inquiries to Ottawa. An official from the Canadian consulate in Chiang Mai is at the hospital with the couple.

The man is the fourth Canadian to be shot in Thailand in recent weeks.

Canadian oil worker Dale Henry was shot and killed at his home in the country earlier this month. His wife of five years, her lover and an alleged hit man have been arrested in his killing.

In January, Leo John Del Pinto of Calgary was shot to death by an off-duty police officer in northern Thailand. His friend Carly Reisig was shot and injured in the incident.

www.cbc.ca

From the article:

post-13995-1202909573_thumb.jpg A Thai investigator examines the bus the man and his wife were riding in when he was shot.

(CBC)

Example of a so called 'Songthaew'-bus but not necessarily the type/model used for transportation in the shooting:

post-13995-1202910206_thumb.jpg

I posted this photo for those who have never been in Thailand and can't imagine how this type of bus looks

LaoPo

The Police here really do not do themselves any favours.

Right now the Canadian press are all over themselves re Thailand due to the recent murders.

How can the Police make such a rash statement. All they care about first and foremost is to cover up and minimise any potential damage!! Really is a sad state of affairs.

Without any real investigation, it really is not possible to say what happened, but if they are saying the shot came from a high rise, it doesnt sound to me like an accident, more like some clown taking pot shots!!!!!!!!!

Police said the shooting was accidental and didn't originate from anyone else on the vehicle. They said they don't have any leads and have made no arrests. Witnesses said they didn't hear any shots.

[/url]

Methinks their best efforts wont be going into this investigation.

CSI : Thailand Season 1

We have no weapon, motive or shooter - Yes, its an accident! :o

If the reports so far are correct then it sounds like this guy was the unfortunate victim of a silly mistake. It says he was hit from above so if the gun was fired from above & he was riding with his back to the street the it is possible someone fired a gun from an apartment & this man was was hit by the bullet?

Bloody bad luck if that is the case but other reports now suggest he isn't in a coma as first reported but in intensive care.

I will, of course, hold out till the canadian gvt get involved & do their own investigation before making an informed opinion though cause our BiB haven't been filling me with much trust lately.

Well, no one leaves the Dhara Devi in a song taew...

Well they do, I live close by and see them all the time. When going for trips or excursions, they are picked up by the tour company in song taews/and/or minibuses.

But there simply aren't any high rises in that area, even down Charoenmuang there is no building higher than 3-5 stories, but maybe that's considered a highrise?

An Ontario man is in stable condition in a Thai hospital Wednesday after being shot in the back while on holiday with his wife.

A Thai investigator examines the bus the man and his wife were riding in when he was shot.A Thai investigator examines the bus the man and his wife were riding in when he was shot.

He is in the McCormick Hospital in the city of Chiang Mai, about 700 kilometres north of the capital, Bangkok. Earlier reports said he was in a coma.

The man and his wife were travelling in an open pickup truck Wednesday morning when he suddenly slumped forward. They had just checked out of their hotel and were on their way to join a three-day elephant riding and hiking trek.

Used commonly for public transport in Thailand, the pickup trucks, called songtao, have open windows and covered bench seating in the back.

Doctors at the hospital say the angle of the bullet wound suggests he was shot from up high, possibly from a high-rise building. The couple were sitting with their backs to the street while in the truck.

Officials at the Canadian Embassy in Thailand haven't provided any information and are referring all inquiries to Ottawa. An official from the Canadian consulate in Chiang Mai is at the hospital with the couple.

The man is the fourth Canadian to be shot in Thailand in recent weeks.

Canadian oil worker Dale Henry was shot and killed at his home in the country earlier this month. His wife of five years, her lover and an alleged hit man have been arrested in his killing.

In January, Leo John Del Pinto of Calgary was shot to death by an off-duty police officer in northern Thailand. His friend Carly Reisig was shot and injured in the incident.

www.cbc.ca

Lets hope this using farang for target practice is not a new trend, and im not joking :o Edited by mikethevigoman

No shooting is accidental.....Someone has to actually load a firearm, aim it, and then finally pull the trigger. Someone was taking a deliberate shot at the songtaew!! Sounds like a driver is picking up fares on someone else's patch, and this was a warning.

An utter discrace that innocent tourists are at risk even on a holiday drive.

An awful lot of people still don't understand that firing weapons in their air means that the bullets still come down with deadly force. Been to more than a few parties (yes, I DO actually attend more than a few country weddings) where some idiot will start shooting out of celebration.

:o

So they dont have any leads but can still say that it was accidental.

Methinks their best efforts wont be going into this investigation.

Their best efforts whatever that might be are always mediocre.

AND as Somerset Maugham once said "the persuit of mediocrity is most often successful" (or words to that effect)

Well, no one leaves the Dhara Devi in a song taew...

Well they do, I live close by and see them all the time. When going for trips or excursions, they are picked up by the tour company in song taews/and/or minibuses.

But there simply aren't any high rises in that area, even down Charoenmuang there is no building higher than 3-5 stories, but maybe that's considered a highrise?

OK, that makes sense. I stand corrected. Still this accidental claim doesn't sound right. At best it might be negligence if someon were firing UP and the bullet fell to earth in the song taew. Anything else would seem deliberate.

No shooting is accidental.....Someone has to actually load a firearm, aim it, and then finally pull the trigger. Someone was taking a deliberate shot at the songtaew!! Sounds like a driver is picking up fares on someone else's patch, and this was a warning.

As you know I have been here for some time but this place is quickly beginning to sicken me.

There was more law in place at the OK Corral AND certainly a better chance of survival.

Edited by john b good

An awful lot of people still don't understand that firing weapons in their air means that the bullets still come down with deadly force. Been to more than a few parties (yes, I DO actually attend more than a few country weddings) where some idiot will start shooting out of celebration.

These two possibilities sound the most likely. It was either because of a vindictive turf or business vendetta, or careless stupidity.

Here we go again - "it's a mistake", "it was kids", blah blah - hey guess what? We don't care about the reason -- even less about your excuses..

What these guys seem to mean is (or at least this is the way it comes across) "Don't cancel your holidays in my Thai guesthouse"..

Khun Phut Mai Jing Jai, chai mai krap?

As you know I have been here for some time but this place is quickly beginning to sicken me.

There was more law in place at the OK Corral AND certainly a better chance of survival.

Yes at least both had the chance to open fire. Here it's a coward's turkey shoot.

Sorry Heng but, bullets fired upwards will always come down but not with deadly force.... bullets fired down will.

Sorry Heng but, bullets fired upwards will always come down but not with deadly force.... bullets fired down will.

What goes up, must come down.. and normally with the same force (newtons law or summat)

Totster :D

Here we go again - "it's a mistake", "it was kids", blah blah - hey guess what? We don't care about the reason -- even less about your excuses..

What these guys seem to mean is (or at least this is the way it comes across) "Don't cancel your holidays in my Thai guesthouse"..

Khun Phut Mai Jing Jai, chai mai krap?

Since you referred partially to my post, you may be surprised to know I own no guest house, travel business or restaurant. In fact I have no economic interests whatsoever in the Thai tourism industry.

On the contrary, I wouldn't mind seeing fewer tourists.

Perhaps you should go outside for a while and take some fresh air.

It will travel up with the energy of the charge that fired it, faster than the speed of sound, until that energy is expended and gravity takes over. It only has gravity to accelerate it on the way down.

Not that it has bugger all to do with an innocent man being shot in the back, surely it must be getting to the point where someone in authority may think about doing something about all this>

It will travel up with the energy of the charge that fired it, faster than the speed of sound, until that energy is expended and gravity takes over. It only has gravity to accelerate it on the way down.

Not that it has bugger all to do with an innocent man being shot in the back, surely it must be getting to the point where someone in authority may think about doing something about all this>

It's all relative as you say... and yes, nothing to do with someone being shot for no apparent reason... which could happen anywhere.

Totster :o

From the article:

post-13995-1202909573_thumb.jpg A Thai investigator examines the bus the man and his wife were riding in when he was shot.

(CBC)

Example of a so called 'Songthaew'-bus but not necessarily the type/model used for transportation in the shooting:

post-13995-1202910206_thumb.jpg

I posted this photo for those who have never been in Thailand and can't imagine how this type of bus looks

LaoPo

And the first photo is for those who never been in thailand to imagine how an investigation into an attempted murdercase on a foreigner is carried out. :o