10 Years For Taxi Driver Injuring Two Foreigners

george

Bangkok Taxi driver receives 10 years for injuring two foreigners

BANGKOK: -- A taxi driver was yesterday sentenced to 10 years in jail for seriously injuring two foreign tourists in a dispute last year.

The Criminal Court found Pairach Tang, 33, guilty of attempted murder and carrying a knife in a public place.

In August last year, Pairach picked up Canadian Mark Douglas Shargool and American Sean Strache from an entertainment place on Ratchadaphisek Road for their apartment in the Lat Phrao area.

The taxi driver said he got angry after discovering that one of the passengers, both of whom were intoxicated, dirtied the car by putting his shoes on the seat.

They had a scuffle during which Pairach attacked the tourists with a machete, blinding Strache in his right eye and making a long cut on Shargool's head.

The court said yesterday it was not convinced by the defendant's claim that the tourists had provoked the fight and that he acted in self-defence.

--The Nation 2004-09-18

Original story:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1975

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2143

Most times when cases get to court the decision is fair. I believe that we ordinary farangs can have trust in the courts. The big problem is getting to the court as in most less serious cases the police sort things out - apprehender, judge, jury and executioner.

One can argue that the farangs in this case did not act wholly properly, but which among us does when full of beer. The taxi drivers are happy to pick us up and charge the pissed farang over the top, so they may have to put up with some bad manners. Its not like they spewed all over the cars interior.

10 years is on the low side but appropriate. Good job I'm not a judge here.

Yet another example of a member of the Thai public resorting to extreme violence to resolve a dispute.

Violence appears endemic in Thailand.

I suppose with the civilian government being ended by military coup in 1976 and further coups (this time unsuccessful) following in 1981 and 1985 (crushed by troops following ten hours of fighting in Bangkok) and yet another coup in 1991 yielding another military junta, which declared a state of emergency and abolished the constitution.................perhaps the only people who are shocked when we are informed of these violent incidents are the members of this forum.

Having lived in Bangkok for the last 2 years one of the most difficult aspects is trying to get from A – B.

While most taxi’s are great and do a good job. The nastiest individuals I’m met on the planet have been Thai taxi drivers. Not all of them. It’s just that I’ve had some frightening experiences.

There’s the usual Thai taxi mafia that hang outside hotels harassing foreigners. Just looking for new arrivals to rip-off. Take to massage parlors or just blackmail you for more money with threats of violence.

One occasion I almost died. The driver was on his mobile. A lorry came from the left. The driver had his cell phone stuck to his left ear. I lurched forwards. Grabbed the wheel and prevented the lorry from driving over the taxi. The taxi was a right-off but I lived.

Another occasion I got in and was told it was 200 baht to get out again when I said I would not pay 500 for a 50 trip (to ekkami bus station). He said it was because he was part of a hotel. My girlfriend told me to pay as he was threatening to kill me.

However the really threatening time was going alone Petchaburi Road towards Suk Soi 4. I asked politely in Thai if the guy would turn the radio down a little. He became enraged. Turned the radio up full blast. Then started shouting “This is MY Thailand” over and over. When we got to Soi 4 he hammered it down towards Nana. He turned fully around and mimicked machine gun fire at me. He was facing me but still with his foot on the accelerator. “I AM ARMY” Over the full blast radio. Finally we got to the traffic lights. I gave him the money, said keep the change jumped out.

I have also been chucked out of taxis for asking to slow down. I think some of them watch those movies where they’re trying to get a woman in labor to the hospital. Sometimes they get within an inches of the car in front and press the horn. Why? I’m not in a hurry.

Hate some of the Bangkok taxi’s

I remember this story in the news and am glad this nasty individual has been bought to justice.

That is really scary stuff, Pui. I've been here 2 years as well, but nothing that bad has happened. I have worse luck with Tuk Tuk drivers, and so now I avoid them at all costs.

The absolute worse thing for me is that a large segment of taxi drivers never seem to know where the ###### they are going, even when you eliminate possible meter joy-riding. My Thai is not good enough for them to understand, but then when I get a Thai person on the phone to give them directions they still don't know where the ###### they are going!

I once asked a taxi driver to slow down, and the bastard speeded up like a suicidal maniac. I didn't flinch, but he was putting himself and me in danger for some stupid ego trip.

A couple of times I've noticed an attitudinal change in their polite, indifferent demeanor as soon as it is after midnight and a foreign woman gets in their car. I guess they start assuming we're fair game and start getting a little too familiar in their conversation and attentions. Very creepy.

One guy was so bad, I just matter-of-factly asked him if that was his name on the registration, and then pulled out my mobile phone. That shut him up. And then I found out from a Thai female friend that Thai women have to regularly phone the taxi number to someone in front of them so that they hear someone else knows the number of their taxi.

Any other stories about women and taxidrivers out there?

I have to say I despise Taxi drivers in Bangkok. I have had numerous experiences in taxis where they show blatent disregard for the safety of their passengers, other vehicles, motorcyces, pedestrians and the law. Somehow they feel that the best service for their client is getting from A to B in the shortest possible time. Some are nice are do respect the request to slow down others are complete animals. This applies doubly for the mafia "subaru" who sit at the end of my soi drinking Makong and drivng head on into traffic. They think that this is thier territory and often become enaged at other vehicles and engage in high speed close encouters of the third kind!

Basically I avoid, almost all transportation except the Skytrain (I love it) and Underground. Other than that it is the safety of my car.. a shame really, as this is a very evironmentally unsound method wasting fuel and time, but I am sorry I'm not willing to put my family's safety at risk to fulfil my patriotic duty to conserve fuel. Maybe there is an opportunity here for the govenment to cut the national fuel consumption. Take half the taxis off the road and teach the rest safe driving techniques.

What can we do about it? Little I am afraid, I resort to the safety of my private car. I do at times offer the taxi a good tip (40B+) if they drive me home leasurely. I sometimes works. I am all for paying more than the measly 35B to enter a SAFE cab. I have often thought that some enterprising Thai (mafia) should open a more expensive Taxi service complete with driver training, panic buttons in the taxi, video monitoring etc. But that I am sure is a bit a dream since all the taxis rates are legislated... but who knows... "Taksin Taksi (pronounced TAXI)" has a cretain ring to it... doesn't it?

Of course you can often (don't want to say always) trust in Thai courts. As long as the other person isn't more important than you.

I'd love to start up a higher rate taxi service (not sure if there's a mutual "agreement" on taxi fares though). Mafia has such a negative connotation. What's wrong with having a bunch of individuals united towards a common goal? Just like a baseball team.

:o

I've been lucky so far with taxis, but they still scare me. Generally, it's speed issues. I've had some success in offering them more money to slow down. Probably worth the peace of mind.

The scariest time I had was years ago in one of those mini-buses that take passengers to and from the Phuket Airport. This was before the widening of the main road down there (402), and I was traveleing with a large contingent of tourists back to the airport.

Even unloaded, these mini-buses are so underpowered they cannot get out of their own way. Add the typical Thai taxi driver, who believes the motor might explode if he ever revs it over 3000 rpm. Put that vehicle on a road filled with large trucks and blind curves. Frightening.

One of the passengers was terrified at the driver's repeated passing maneauvers, where he would pull out alongside a truck, then slowly inch forward towards oncoming traffic. He wouldn't downshift (two gears miminum were required for the pass, in my estimation). When she asked him to slow down, he did as others have reported -- he sped up.

hi arthsch, "did the two farangs gave a tip, if they left the car?"

yes, we did. the fare was 57 baht, we gave him 60. then we got out of the car. he got out too, with a machete, and attacked us.

apparently 10 years is the max under thai law for attempted murder.

Learn a bit of Thai and you will find the problems diminish...

Yes I agree with this. I ride in taxis almost every day, and at all hours. I think most drivers are okay, but by my reckoning one-in-four is a wise-guy or worse. If you can speak Thai, even just enough to get by, share sanuk etc, you should be okay. Frankly, for those of you who've lived here for many years and can't speak any Thai, maybe it's justifiable if the Taxi driver starts screaming at you that 'this is his country'..chai mai? (that means yes-no, which also means 'do you agree'..oh never mind).

Well I don't know how many of you knew Gerd and Noi( Gerd and Noi Bungalo's) in Khoa Luk, Gerd was killed on the way to the airport in Bangkok by an out of control Taxi driver when he crashed the cab. Gerd spoke very good thai but the guy didn't slow down.

An American tourist was injured severly in a Tuk Tuk accident in Phuket about a year ago the driver was very drunk. The tourist technically died 3 times in the hospital but was kept going by life support equipment, the hospital had a meeting with the US Government representative here about about pulling the plug on the patient. Luckily Denny told them to hang in with this guy and keep him on life support. The guy is walking around town today because of Denny's decision. The Tuk Tuk driver was back to work with in a few weeks.

My girl friend was driving her motor bike in Kata and a Tuk Tuk tried to pass her when a car was coming at them both so he cut in sending her into a concrete telephone pole. No one would take her into there house or businesses because they were afraid she would die and become a ghost she lay for more than a half hour bleeding to death in the street. Finally a German tourist put her in his rental car and drove her to Pattong because he heard there was a hospital there. It had closed years ago. Finally he took her to a hospital in Phuket where she bleed to death because they didn't realize she was bleeding internally( the hospitals in Phuket suck they have killed so many people because they don't know there jobs), but lets talk about that another day on this site.

I could go on but don't feel like it as I'm sure you all get the point I have over 25+ years of stories like this but I won't go on as we all get the point.

Yah we need to kick as* on bad drivers in this country. Eye for an eye.

That is really scary stuff, Pui. I've been here 2 years as well, but nothing that bad has happened. I have worse luck with Tuk Tuk drivers, and so now I avoid them at all costs.

The absolute worse thing for me is that a large segment of taxi drivers never seem to know where the ###### they are going, even when you eliminate possible meter joy-riding. My Thai is not good enough for them to understand, but then when I get a Thai person on the phone to give them directions they still don't know where the ###### they are going!

I once asked a taxi driver to slow down, and the bastard speeded up like a suicidal maniac. I didn't flinch, but he was putting himself and me in danger for some stupid ego trip.

A couple of times I've noticed an attitudinal change in their polite, indifferent demeanor as soon as it is after midnight and a foreign woman gets in their car. I guess they start assuming we're fair game and start getting a little too familiar in their conversation and attentions. Very creepy.

One guy was so bad, I just matter-of-factly asked him if that was his name on the registration, and then pulled out my mobile phone. That shut him up. And then I found out from a Thai female friend that Thai women have to regularly phone the taxi number to someone in front of them so that they hear someone else knows the number of their taxi.

Any other stories about women and taxidrivers out there?

ya the taxi drivers are better than the tuk tuks(they should get rid of those things),,,,but sometimes the Taxi guys are a pain,, usually the drive you all over if they thinks you don't know BK( I don't get angry ,, I just get out ,no$$),, also there's the old metre is broke it'll be 400bt to get to as 100bt place,don't talk to them is the best strategy(they hate us rich drunks)...... when in doubt just get out at a stop........ bye bye :o

In the three months I've been here I've ridden taxis quite a lot. Mostly I've felt the drivers were superb in that they succeeded in navigating treacherous Bangkok traffic without a scratch. Last week however, I returned from a great weekend in river Kwai, and wrote the following:

After a comfortable peaceful 2 hour bus ride back to Bangkok, we climbed into a taxi and suddenly found ourselves in a video game blend of Duke Nukem and Grand Theft Auto. The taxi careened through the hectic Bangkok traffic on a wild 45 minute ride back to the hotel in the rain. The driver was playing hard, trying to kill as many motorcyclists as possible (10 points), as he pushed from lane to lane without signaling, cutting trucks and busses off, and tailgaiting at every opportunity. My girlfriend and I exchanged glances, and I was pleased to see she knew the danger we were in. With another look, I suggested changing cabs, and she revealed her darker side smugly saying, "I want to see! (him wreck his taxi)." "It's no problem" she whispered, "we will just walk away and leave him with the mess." The air conditioner was going full blast, making me feel like I was in a chilly San Francisco drizzle in my shorts and Tshirt, although just on the other side of the window it was a pleasant 85 degrees. The radio incessantly blasted Thai cell phone commercials, where clever advertisers knew the attention grabbing power of the phone ringing, and added sounds of traffic horns honking through the taxi's over amplified speakers. I tried to cling to the serenity of the weekend as the Bangkok frenzy insisted on crowding it out. Incredibly, we made it to the lobby door of our building. I apathetically spared the driver a course in driving safety, mostly because he would not understand a word I said. Handing him the $5 fare and walking away was revenge enough. A much safer elevator ride to the 5th floor, then apartment door opened as it should, and the peace of our lovely apartment brought the stillness back again.

I was in a taxi earlier this year with my (Thai) wife. The driver began to lag behind the cars in front (amazingly!) and was flashed by a taxi behind. Our driver then became like a maniac, letting the other taxi pull alongside and screaming abuse, then repeatedly racing ahead and slamming on the brakes.

I seriously thought my life was in danger (I'm already convinced I'm going to die in a Bangkok taxi one day), and we asked him to stop and let us out. He ignored us and continued using his taxi as a weapon against the other taxi. In desperation, I slapped him on the side of the head and he then quietened down (out of shock?) and drove us the last minute or so to our house.

Then he got out and started screaming at me, and according to my wife who spent several minutes pleading with him he claimed he was a policeman (sounds right) and he would report me and was threatening to shoot me.

Caused a bit of friction in the house for a couple of days. She said we were both in the wrong, but I felt I had no choice but to do anything I could to save us. What would you have done?

But lets face it, taxi drivers everywhere are out to rip you off, although they don't usually resort to violence. Where does this sweet-natured Thai stuff come from? They're some of the most violent people on earth. Not all, of course.

From my experience (7years+) some basic rules that may keep you away from trouble with taxi drivers:

- never take a waiting taxi in front of hotels, patpong etc. , they're all rip-offs.

- If some taxi driver tries to rip you off with the old 400 Baht for a 50 Baht trip scheme, leave the cab and leave the left back door open. Insuslting the driver with more than a friendly F%#k Off is not encouraged, unless you can get away quickly.

- the sightseeing-tour you never asked for: Try to find out whether the driver knows at all where you want to go to. If not, give him directions, if yes, ask him why he doesn't go there. In both cases pay the appropriate fare, no tip and recommend buying a map.

- 53 Baht trip, Taxi driver takes the 100 Baht note and says something like "rest is tip, Farang is rich...". It is 53 Baht, no tip. No coins, go to the noodle stall over there (the driver, not you!) and get them.

- cannot change 500 or 1000 Baht. Keep sitting on the back seat and act as you have endless time. They have change. In seven years there were two (!) who had not. Those guys got change from a nearby 7/11 without questions asked.

- They threaten you: take your mobile phone, say (in Thai) 1-9-1, dial at the same time and ask whether the license number is ..... (in Thai). They will bring you home safely.

Remember: Intimiation works only if there is someone to intimidate. Make your stand and don't allow some dumb-ass who just upgraded from oxcart to taxi to scare you! Remember also, that several Thais told me that one day someone's gonna shoot me...

Last not least, only a minority of them are rip-offs. Most Thai taxi drivers are nice and know their job. Rip-offs will continue as long as people pay for it.

Hi all,

I agree that many Thai taxi drivers, of course, not all of them, need to go to driving schools and need to realize that their passengers' life is in their hands. I usually take SkyTrain or subway to go from piont A to piont B safely. I would take a taxi when I have absolutely no other alternative. :o

One thing I've learned by talking with taxi drivers is that they also don't want to drive like this, but it's due to the rental rates of their cars. Most of them don't own the car; they rent it. The rate is higher for the newer car while it's a lot cheaper for the older ones. Sometimes it's as high as 1,000 baht per day for the newest model. Hence the more trips they make, the more money they will get to cover the cost and hopefully make some profits. One taxi driver told me that he has to make at least 700 baht on that day just to cover his rent. So how many trips he has to make on that day? I understand that, but putting your passengers's life in danger is another story. What is worth the money if you kill someone just because you want to make some money? It's out of question.

I usually talk to them when I feel that driver starts to act like an ######. I would ask about the traffic and suggest that I am not in a hurry. Surprisingly, most drivers are friendly enough to engage the conversation. I think they want to talk and reduce their stress. I wouldn't mind talking to them. I enjoy it and they mormally slow down and drive better.

Golf, the rental fees are the same for commercial taxi drivers almost everywhere. In New York, there is a similar high rental fee, where yellow taxi drivers have to pay about $250 a day (10,000 baht). The taxi drivers in New York have their problems, but nothing that comes close to this. And taxi drivers in New York are from around the world. I think this is because they are all registered, and will be held responsible if something stupid happens.

I would agree with everyone here.......many instances of great drivers who are friendly and efficient, but many instances of complete freakouts as well. Just the other day I as on my way to a shopping centre and asked the guy to drive past the main entrance to the other end so I would not have to walk so far........there was a main entrance and one at the other end. Anyway he drives past the main entrance a little and then just stopped in the middle of the road turned to me and screamed at me to get out of the f&^% in g car........I was stunned........it was a complete Jekyl and Hyde thing.......one second pleasant and efficient the next second he was a complete freak with murderous eyes......

I am still confused as to what I did to piss him off !!?? To make things worse he wanted the fare too......but I gave him a bird instead !!

Off the main topic a bit.......in relation to the post about Phuket. I was down there one time when I saw from th ehotel balcony that a girl was lying in the street far below on the opposite sidfe of the street about 150 metres away. There was a small group of peole standing looking at her but no-one was doing anything. So I went down and found her blue around her mouth (not breathing), her left arm was clutching at her chest (rib injury) and there was blood everywhere. So I showed a guy how we would support her head etc and turn her over into a recovery position.......as soon as we did this she let go a small explosion of blood and <deleted> from ther mouth.....I think some teeth came out too.......and she started to breath.

I found she had a puncture wound to her chest onthe left side and her breath was shallow......I needed to get her to hospital real fast........after what seemed like 30 minutes......the police came along in a pick up truck......now keep in mind that I had her in recovery position, neck and head supported with towels, still alive buit only just........what did the polics guys do........pushed me out of the way and ignored my calls to be careful.......they grabbed the girl - one by the feet the other grabbed her shirt......and picked her up like a rag doll her head flopping everywhere.......geeeeesuss !!!

i never found out if she lived or not.......but I relaised that if she had lived she could have been made a paraplegic or worse by the stupid police !!