Married With A Thai Lady, Not Retired, Not Working

Hi!

First sorry for my bad english! I am a 37-years old french man, married with a thai lady since 2002. We are bulding a house here, in Udonthani province.

I am not currently working anywhere, as I own an appartment in France and the rental allows me to live a decent life in Thailand, but it is not a big amount of money.

I don't want to work in Thailand, but I would like to stay there. I don't have 800,000 baht in a thai bank and I cannot justify such an amount of revenues by year.

I have made some investments in France (mainly in stock shares) that are amounting around 2 millions baht or so, but I don't want to sell it now and it is more like a "life insurance" or some "pennies for rainy days".

So, I would like to have some advice on what is the best legal way for me to stay there. What kind of visa should I apply? Is there a mean for me not to have to travel outside the country and come back every x (?) months? My wife can easily apply to a resident visa in France wich is available for one year and allows her to work there, but as her spouse, it seems that I cannot be granted the same rights in Thailand?

Thanks in advance for any information...

Hi!

First sorry for my bad english! I am a 37-years old french man, married with a thai lady since 2002. We are bulding a house here, in Udonthani province.

I am not currently working anywhere, as I own an appartment in France and the rental allows me to live a decent life in Thailand, but it is not a big amount of money.

I don't want to work in Thailand, but I would like to stay there. I don't have 800,000 baht in a thai bank and I cannot justify such an amount of revenues by year.

I have made some investments in France (mainly in stock shares) that are amounting around 2 millions baht or so, but I don't want to sell it now and it is more like a "life insurance" or some "pennies for rainy days".

So, I would like to have some advice on what is the best legal way for me to stay there. What kind of visa should I apply? Is there a mean for me not to have to travel outside the country and come back every x (?) months? My wife can easily apply to a resident visa in France wich is available for one year and allows her to work there, but as her spouse, it seems that I cannot be granted the same rights in Thailand?

you should start with getting a non immigrant O visa before you come to thailand. since you are married to a thai, you will qualify for that. then in your third month here, go to a thai immigration office with your wife and apply for a one year extension based on support for your thai wife. one of the requirements is showing 400,000 baht in a thai bank. if that is not possible maybe you can show income approved by your french embassy. this extension will extend your stay to one year, just remember to report your address to immigration if any part of this stay is over 90 days.

Hi!

you should start with getting a non immigrant O visa before you come to thailand. since you are married to a thai, you will qualify for that. then in your third month here, go to a thai immigration office with your wife and apply for a one year extension based on support for your thai wife. one of the requirements is showing 400,000 baht in a thai bank. if that is not possible maybe you can show income approved by your french embassy. this extension will extend your stay to one year, just remember to report your address to immigration if any part of this stay is over 90 days.

As Huski said the 'support Thai wife' extension only requires 400k in a bank account or proof of income in that amount per year or a combination to qualify. As your income from rent will be considered overseas income that can be used but you have to have some kind of paperwork signed by your Embassy to support it. You can then extend your stay at an immigration office but wife will have to be with you and marriage certificate/ id card /home register /bank book /letter from bank confirming amount on deposit and foreign origin /passport /photos together /signed copies of all /tm7 form costing 1,900 baht /4x6cm photos of you.

Thanks for the answers... so, only 400,000 baht is necessary? I just have to show a thai bank account book or is there a special account where I need to deposit this amount and cannot use this money in case of emergency?

If I have only to show my current thai bank account book, it shouldn't be a problem, but as we are building a house, money comes and goes very often!!!

Thanks for your help! This forum is very useful!

Bank account must be in your or joint with wife name(s). Money must come from outside country if not employed here and if by wire transfer is easy to prove and should be noted on most passbooks. You are free to use this money during the year but you must have it at that level each year when you seek extension of stay (which usually takes a month or two for final approval).

Know what you mean about the money flow when building. Remember that they will most likely approve you with only 200k in the account if you can show paperwork from your Embassy that you should earn the other 200k during the year.

I urge you to take advantage of this process as it is for our use and sure beats making visa runs and the worry that entails.