The Smokers Thread

sweetchariot

I guess the others on my side have lost attention - I'm here for the duration, someone has to champion the cause of righteousness.

HALLELUJAH AMEN ! :o

I don't follow any religious faith; I have my own code of conduct based on good values & highly held principals.

I dont follow any faith either, I also have a code of conduct and I have very high principals as well, I just dont try and ram them down people's throats.

I think everyone here and in the UK are quite aware of the law, even pub landlords dont harp on about it and it affects them a lot more than it does you, I would imagine What about the landlords who openly disregard the law and find themselves facing hefty fines.? Only yesterday I read that one had received a £12000 fine.I think you will find that he is in the minority, where was this pub ?

When you do come back to the UK, and you see smokers (and non smokers) enjoying each others company, what are you going to complain about ? I was out in Leeds about three weeks ago. The smokers were huddled outside the bars like groups of lepers, shivering in the miserable weather, unable to free themselves from nicotines grasp. I didn't see too many non smokers amongst them.MY pub I use has umbrellas, heaters, tables and chairs, cushions on the chairs as well, but this is SOUTHERN PUB

Purely out of interest, do any of your friends smoke ? (I use the term 'friends' very loosely) Very few, certainly not as many as say 15 years ago. It's certainly a good while since I went out with any of them, including my brother. None of them have ever asked me to join them outside, not that I would anyway. To be fair to them, I haven't heard too many complain about the ban - they go outside, satisfy their addiction, then return. Do they have to put up with you qouting to them the harm they are doing to themselves ? I wouldnt want you to join me outside either, even though I'm a non smoker

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont follow any faith either, I also have a code of conduct and I have very high principals as well, I just dont try and ram them down people's throats.

I think everyone here and in the UK are quite aware of the law, even pub landlords dont harp on about it and it affects them a lot more than it does you, I would imagine What about the landlords who openly disregard the law and find themselves facing hefty fines.? Only yesterday I read that one had received a £12000 fine.I think you will find that he is in the minority, where was this pub ? Here's a link to a BBC article on the same story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/herefor...rcs/7282152.stm

When you do come back to the UK, and you see smokers (and non smokers) enjoying each others company, what are you going to complain about ? I was out in Leeds about three weeks ago. The smokers were huddled outside the bars like groups of lepers, shivering in the miserable weather, unable to free themselves from nicotines grasp. I didn't see too many non smokers amongst them.MY pub I use has umbrellas, heaters, tables and chairs, cushions on the chairs as well, but this is SOUTHERN PUB City centre pubs often don't have the land for such facilities, irrespective of geographical location.

Purely out of interest, do any of your friends smoke ? (I use the term 'friends' very loosely) Very few, certainly not as many as say 15 years ago. It's certainly a good while since I went out with any of them, including my brother. None of them have ever asked me to join them outside, not that I would anyway. To be fair to them, I haven't heard too many complain about the ban - they go outside, satisfy their addiction, then return. Do they have to put up with you qouting to them the harm they are doing to themselves ? Yes, from time to time I do remind them of their vile addiction, along with questioning as to why they aren't dealing with it. I wouldnt want you to join me outside either, even though I'm a non smoker

I guess the others on my side have lost attention - I'm here for the duration

Don't worry, I'm still reading. I'll be back in June :o Meanwhile, you keep up the good work. :D

Some (even more) food for thought :D

Oh it’s for smokers ONLY, no peeking anti’s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9ySCcnoo3c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9O1Cv7wudU...feature=related

Did you notice how many people in the audience were coughing? deatheo8.gif

• 1 month later...

Just got back to pattaya the other day, the first visit since the ban. Are you sure there is a ban :o

Apart from Walking Street, it seems to be smoking as usual. Yesterday i was in a bar and there was a policeman smoking inside the bar. I won't name the bar. as Clayton may pop in. :D These are the kind of bans i like :D

I have a friend wants me to take back some old holborn or Drum tobacco.

[going back tuesday].

Any idea where I can buy some, anyone?

Thanks in advance. 4.Real

I am pretty sure Friendship on Pattaya Thai has Drum, and I think also in Best Supermarket on the corner of Pattaya Klang/ 2nd Road. Not sure about Old Holborn though.

I have a friend wants me to take back some old holborn or Drum tobacco.

[going back tuesday].

Any idea where I can buy some, anyone?

Thanks in advance. 4.Real

I am pretty sure Friendship on Pattaya Thai has Drum, and I think also in Best Supermarket on the corner of Pattaya Klang/ 2nd Road. Not sure about Old Holborn though.

The airport duty free shop is the cheapest, and they will have golden virginia, holborn and drum

You suggest that I have no respect for my body. (snip)

Now sir, if you'll excuse me :o I'm going onto my balcony to relax with a nice cup of tea and a cigarette :D .

:D

It sounds like you are enjoying life and I sincerely hope that you continue to do so. It also sounds like you are a most considerate smoker, ensuring that others in your near vicinity are not affected by your second hand smoke. I couldn't ask for more.......

.....except......

....do yourself a favour, even if it is a waste of time, go and have a thorough check up with your local doctor. Let him take a blood sample for analysis and run some other tests just to be on the safe side. Ensure that your doctor has small fingers cos the old prostate prod is most important.

May you enjoy many more decades of relaxing on your balcony. :D

You've got me seriously thinking about this.............thankyou for your good advice. :D

Well, I've been and gone and done it! :D Had a full check up at BPH as they have a really good offer on at the moment - "Buy one get one free" which I shared with my mate. Had some extra tests added on whilst I was there.

All the results came back positive so I'm feeling sooooooooooooooooooo good. :D

Now sir, if you'll excuse me :o I'm going onto my balcony to relax with a nice cup of tea and a cigarette :D .

It sounds like you are enjoying life and I sincerely hope that you continue to do so. It also sounds like you are a most considerate smoker, ensuring that others in your near vicinity are not affected by your second hand smoke. I couldn't ask for more.......

.....except......

....do yourself a favour, even if it is a waste of time, go and have a thorough check up with your local doctor. Let him take a blood sample for analysis and run some other tests just to be on the safe side. Ensure that your doctor has small fingers cos the old prostate prod is most important.

You've got me seriously thinking about this.............thankyou for your good advice. :D

Well, I've been and gone and done it! :D Had a full check up at BPH as they have a really good offer on at the moment - "Buy one get one free" which I shared with my mate. Had some extra tests added on whilst I was there.

All the results came back positive so I'm feeling sooooooooooooooooooo good. B)

Oops! Meant negative - must be because I'm feeling positive :D

"As you may have guessed I am anti smoking, apart from not liking smoke wafting across my face or the smell of stale tobacco I have yet to hear any intelligent reason why smoking could be beneficial to anybody even though the tobacco industries spend billions on propaganda try to convince use otherwise".

It rather depends on your own level of intelligence as to what you would consider an intelligent response, but I am going to assume you actually meant to write "logical" which of course is too easy but here you go:

(((P>Q)&(QvR))&S) .

Put whatever you want in the sentential variables, e.g. smoking relaxes a smoker, smoking lubricates social functions, blah blah.

Tip: your next pontification should be "I am yet to see a deductively sound argument as to ... " you'll have a much higher success rate with it. Although, ultimately, your personal failure to imagine a conclusion to a hypothetical is no indication that such a conclusion cannot be provided by someone with.. er.. slightly more "intelligence".

I have my own code of conduct based on good values & highly held principals.

I am yet to hear an intelligent (read: sound) enough argument for why this is a good thing. Principles are children in the nursery school of morality, frequently wetting themselves and needing constant attention. Before going on about whether or not I should smoke why not fix your own ill thought out worldview.

Edited by OxfordWill

"As you may have guessed I am anti smoking, apart from not liking smoke wafting across my face or the smell of stale tobacco I have yet to hear any intelligent reason why smoking could be beneficial to anybody even though the tobacco industries spend billions on propaganda try to convince use otherwise".

It rather depends on your own level of intelligence as to what you would consider an intelligent response, but I am going to assume you actually meant to write "logical" which of course is too easy but here you go:

(((P>Q)&(QvR))&S) .

Put whatever you want in the sentential variables, e.g. smoking relaxes a smoker, smoking lubricates social functions, blah blah.

Tip: your next pontification should be "I am yet to see a deductively sound argument as to ... " you'll have a much higher success rate with it. Although, ultimately, your personal failure to imagine a conclusion to a hypothetical is no indication that such a conclusion cannot be provided by someone with.. er.. slightly more "intelligence".

:o:D:D

Lighten up, man!!!

Now sir, if you'll excuse me :D I'm going onto my balcony to relax with a nice cup of tea and a cigarette :D .

.....except......

All the results came back positive so I'm feeling sooooooooooooooooooo good. B)

Well done. Congratulations.

You need to keep in mind however, that no matter how many positive test results you get back from your doctor, crossing Thailand streets, particularly Second Road in Pattaya, will always be a health hazard. :o

Last night was the first night I have been out since the smoking 'ban', and I was interested to see how it would be applied.

Best not to name particular venues that the smoking ban has not effected, you never know who is reading this, but I would be interested to know where you were not allowed to smoke.

Went to 6 bars in and around soi 7/8 and every bar was smoking as usual, ashtrays out etc. 2 of these were enclosed bars, and still no change (note: the smoking ban was initially only for enclosed aircon establishments, but was then expanded to cover all public areas, indoors or out).

Went to a well known restaurant on beach road, which is semi enclosed. I went in the bar next door for my first smoke, as the tables either side of me were eating (yes, some of us are considerate.) After they had finished eating I asked for a tikiaburee before I lit up to test the water. I was told 'cannot'. I explained that the police won't be enforcing the law until June, and she duly brought me an ashtray. :o

So, like I said, don't name the places you were allowed to smoke, but the places you were not. The tambourine bashers reading this will phone their special hotline and grass up any venues allowing smoking, and subsequently there will be less places we can smoke.

PS. to all the anti's wallowing in their assumptive victory last week - I told you it would never happen. As they would sing on the football terraces: you're not singing any more :D:D:D

can anyone tell me if thet still allow smoking in the enclosed bars in soi 7 & 8 like pig and whistle, irish bar next door and the go go bars silver what ever the name is?

Last night was the first night I have been out since the smoking 'ban', and I was interested to see how it would be applied.

Best not to name particular venues that the smoking ban has not effected, you never know who is reading this, but I would be interested to know where you were not allowed to smoke.

Went to 6 bars in and around soi 7/8 and every bar was smoking as usual, ashtrays out etc. 2 of these were enclosed bars, and still no change (note: the smoking ban was initially only for enclosed aircon establishments, but was then expanded to cover all public areas, indoors or out).

Went to a well known restaurant on beach road, which is semi enclosed. I went in the bar next door for my first smoke, as the tables either side of me were eating (yes, some of us are considerate.) After they had finished eating I asked for a tikiaburee before I lit up to test the water. I was told 'cannot'. I explained that the police won't be enforcing the law until June, and she duly brought me an ashtray. :o

So, like I said, don't name the places you were allowed to smoke, but the places you were not. The tambourine bashers reading this will phone their special hotline and grass up any venues allowing smoking, and subsequently there will be less places we can smoke.

PS. to all the anti's wallowing in their assumptive victory last week - I told you it would never happen. As they would sing on the football terraces: you're not singing any more :D:D:D

vhokfjbfojgjgnz;jkfgkjzg

• 1 month later...
Heh....I was in Thailand when they had the last smoking ban...lasted about 4 days I think...i'll be suprised if this one lasts any longer...

:o

...as I said nearly 2 months ago when this was first announced, this will never come to pass, maybe go-go's and restaurants which I don't mind, but come back and read this in 3 months and see how prematurely smug all you anti's have been.

I'm still feeling pretty smug. How about you? :D

The UK has a hotline (08005871667) for reporting those not observing/enforcing the smoking ban. I have saved it in my mobile; I wont hesitate to report any establishment failing to enforce the smoking ban.

Do the Thai authorities have/plan a similar hotline? If so please advise, I'll save the number & I'll then be able to do my duty in both countries.

So the DEA turned you down, Clayton?

BTW, if you see anyone driving (ie compromising our right to a healthy environment) in Thailand, you can call this freefone number:

0800-DRIVE-BY-SHOOTING

Edited by himachal

Heh....I was in Thailand when they had the last smoking ban...lasted about 4 days I think...i'll be suprised if this one lasts any longer...

:o

...as I said nearly 2 months ago when this was first announced, this will never come to pass, maybe go-go's and restaurants which I don't mind, but come back and read this in 3 months and see how prematurely smug all you anti's have been.

I'm still feeling pretty smug. How about you? :D

Ask me again next Sunday. At the moment there are very few places enforcing the ban, the acid test will be after 31st May when people will start getting fined for it.

A few bars I have been in that allow smoking now say they won't be after 31st May, but again I think you will see a knee-jerk reaction like we saw in February, with most places reverting back to smoking after a week or so.

So ban cigarettes outright. :o

Got to agree with this....if any goverment, in any country in the world was serious about smoking bans, they could ban the manufacter/distribution and sale outright....Smoking bans are put in place by a goverment to shut up the tree hugging,enviromentalist, self rightious, interfering fascist mother grundies...

Goverments throughout the world want people to smoke...they want the tax money and they dont want to upset

the apple cart when it comes to contributions to political campagians from the tobacco companies...

"The UK has a hotline (08005871667) for reporting those not observing/enforcing the smoking ban. I have saved it in my mobile; I wont hesitate to report any establishment failing to enforce the smoking ban.

Do the Thai authorities have/plan a similar hotline? If so please advise, I'll save the number & I'll then be able to do my duty in both countries".....Suspect this poster was beaten up in school at lot.....MISS....MISS...Jimmies smoking behind the bike shed.....

I have just returned from Pattaya, I saw the ban in place, in all the resturants we used (and rifghtly so) if they wanted to smoke, there were smoking tables outside, but WHAT I cant understand is, the pollution levels are so high, why are the bothered about smoking, sometimes the air stinks of raw sewage (it reminds me of the sanitation block at LHR, its the place they empty the sewage from the aircraft)

All the bars we used, they enforced the ban, UNLESS you were outside the bar and it had an open area, then they just told peple to use the bottle to put their fag ends in, so it wasnt a great problem, BUT as I have said previously, I dont mind people smoking, I was surprised the price hasnt gone up for them, though, they are still very cheap out there (compared to the UK/US/Europe)

I dont mind people smoking, I was surprised the price hasnt gone up for them, though, they are still very cheap out there (compared to the UK/US/Europe)

What do you mean. We had an enforced 2 baht per packet tax increase earlier this year "to discourage smoking" :o , that coupled with the exchange rate has seen my smokes go up from around 75 pence to around 90 pence per packet in the last 6 months, or 20%. It's a disgrace :D

To put in perspective to those not from the UK, on a trip home last year I took a few cartons with me to ensure that I didn't pay silly UK prices, but one day got caught short and had to buy a pack in a small shop in Central London for £5-90. Ouch.

I dont mind people smoking, I was surprised the price hasnt gone up for them, though, they are still very cheap out there (compared to the UK/US/Europe)

What do you mean. We had an enforced 2 baht per packet tax increase earlier this year "to discourage smoking" :o , that coupled with the exchange rate has seen my smokes go up from around 75 pence to around 90 pence per packet in the last 6 months, or 20%. It's a disgrace :D

To put in perspective to those not from the UK, on a trip home last year I took a few cartons with me to ensure that I didn't pay silly UK prices, but one day got caught short and had to buy a pack in a small shop in Central London for £5-90. Ouch.

I saw people buying Marlboro at 65THB and L&H at 59THB, thats a lot cheaper than any European price, but its the beer that affects me more, prices ranged from 50THB to 80 THB for a Singha, thats what I call silly

..had to buy a pack in a small shop in Central London for £5-90. Ouch.

Ouch indeed! :D

I remember when they were two and ten pence (2s 10d) for 20. :o , but glad I gave up.

Otherwise I may have ended up like him:

300Cigarettes.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
name='wilko' date='2008-02-22 14:36:26' post='1832421']

The truth is that smoking lessens both your sense of taste AND smell as well as erectile function...so why would anyone want to sit around in public waving a lit sign about that says...

"I can't smell properly, can't taste properly, can't breath properly, I'm going to die early and I can't get it up" ?????????

Now, if you carry on like that, you will give yourself a hart attack

Calm down and have a smoke mate. or a quick tug :D

I knew smoking caused heart disease AND brain disease so I guess it gives you dyslexia too....unless you think I might be attacked by a deer?

That was just nasty,

Yes I am dyslexic or just thick as we were called at school. :D

Sorry if I offended you or Mr Mouse, with a reference to masturbation.

But your ranting and your side kicks ranting in the

(Smokers Thread Antis Not Allowed) just seems to be over the top.

BTW im a Non smoker.

This is my last comment in this thread.

Good bye..

PP

Don't be put off by the nastiness of another poster :D . This is a forum and you are entitled to your opinion and I have enjoyed reading your posts.

By the way, I prefer your Tommy Cooper avatar. :D

W

Thanks for that, Top Dog :o:D

Juzz like that.

More quality posts.

. :D:D:D

Sorry to see you go.

I will miss your intellectual posts, well at least they were more "Oink Oink" than "Grunt Grunt".

I am always upset when other posters poke fun at spelling and grammar mistakes, not just because some members may be dyslexic but for many members English is not their first language.

As for being dyslexic, diagnosis of such affliction was not recognized when I was at School and so I was never tested for it, but all I read and hear on the subject I can relate to myself, for me my school days were the un-happiest days of my life.

BB

Thanks as well, :o:D:D

I have just returned from Pattaya, I saw the ban in place, in all the resturants we used (and rifghtly so) if they wanted to smoke, there were smoking tables outside, but WHAT I cant understand is, the pollution levels are so high, why are the bothered about smoking, sometimes the air stinks of raw sewage (it reminds me of the sanitation block at LHR, its the place they empty the sewage from the aircraft)

All the bars we used, they enforced the ban, UNLESS you were outside the bar and it had an open area, then they just told peple to use the bottle to put their fag ends in, so it wasnt a great problem, BUT as I have said previously, I dont mind people smoking, I was surprised the price hasnt gone up for them, though, they are still very cheap out there (compared to the UK/US/Europe)

The smell of shit never killed anyone, you cannot say that about passive smoking, :o

The smell of shit never killed anyone, you cannot say that about passive smoking, :o

I thought no anti's were allowed in this thread ?!?!

Whether the smell of shit ever killed anyone however....I dunno.

Too much Methane Gas can be deadly for sure :D