Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Technical Question

whopper

I would use the word capitulation, regarding my attitude twords the service of max net , or drop as I refer to it. I have given up with trying to get help from TTT long ago. When I get shitty service I just find something else to do. I use the internet for pleasure, so no business is lost.

I am curious though. The continual problem of being cut off from the internet connection, or dropped as some refer to it, must mean that there is some kind of problem that could possibly be solved. This has been going on at my home for years now. I have had service to my home and all my connections are fine etc. . Sometimes fine, sometimes forget it. MOst can relate I'm sure.

Is there anyone out there with a technical background that could tell me what the FFFF is going on and why they can't seem to fix it?

I would use the word capitulation, regarding my attitude twords the service of max net , or drop as I refer to it. I have given up with trying to get help from TTT long ago. When I get shitty service I just find something else to do. I use the internet for pleasure, so no business is lost.

I am curious though. The continual problem of being cut off from the internet connection, or dropped as some refer to it, must mean that there is some kind of problem that could possibly be solved. This has been going on at my home for years now. I have had service to my home and all my connections are fine etc. . Sometimes fine, sometimes forget it. MOst can relate I'm sure.

Is there anyone out there with a technical background that could tell me what the FFFF is going on and why they can't seem to fix it?

It's impossible to diagnose your problem from a distance, but let me point some things.

1. The ADSL modem/router gets to hot and stops functioning..

2. The ADSL router stops functioning after some hours of heavy traffic (p2p)

3. The distance to the dslam is more than 3km.

4. The telephone line ( in and outside the house) is connected/repaired by twisting the wires.

5. Sparks by nearby power line isolators or transformer (they blow after a time) cause noise on the telephone line.

6. The ISP oversold the local bandwidth (check this with your neighbors).

7 Check for green corrosion on the contacts in the telephone and LAN connector plugs (male and female).

Todays event at work: A virus (ldr.exe) flooded the LAN with packets and the ADSL router was no longer responsive.

Have a look at an older topic here, several causes are described for problematic dsl connections.

Your biggest problem is that you can't do anything from the point where the phone line leaves your house, and even if you can pinpoint the cause of the problems, your provider probably won't really care. If it works occasionally, it's good enough in Thai thinking.

From my own experience, most problems are caused by bad phone lines. A dive school had an ADSL line which only worked from early morning till 1pm. After that time the signal strength went down below 2dB which rendered the connection useless. We ran a new phone line on exactly the same path using the same poles, providing SDSL over that line. Average signal strength on that line is twice the required minimum and 100% stable.

The difference? Soldered and properly insulated connections, and avoiding cable installation close to transformers and aircon units. But the Thai engineers installing phone lines are simply not capable of understanding that little details like these can make a huge difference.