Algae In Water Well How To Get Rid Of It?

Beardog

I recently screwed up & kept running the well out of water when we built our baan.

As you know it takes a ton of water for cement & 4 & 1/2 Rais of trees plants & vegetables.

I ran the pump dry & had to re-prime it 60 times or so to get the air out of the lines.

2 of the 6 liter water jugs started growing algae on the inside & unfortunately were used to restart the priming of the pump.

Although we do not use the well for drinking water, the algae is foming strips & is making watering the lawn via sprinklers dam_n near impossible. It is clogging the hose.

Is there any way to eliminate the algae? The well is 7 meters full now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Copper sulphate is a good algicide but it's probably only going to be a temporary solution. If you're getting a lot of algae it sounds like your water is enriched; you should get the water tested in case it is sewage that is enriching your water.

Other temporary solutions are; blocking out the sunlight to prevent photosynthesis, stick in a few fish like tilapia that like to eat algae or get a filter. Theres a picture of a disk filter in this irrigation thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...02785&st=50 post #74.

I recently screwed up & kept running the well out of water when we built our baan.

As you know it takes a ton of water for cement & 4 & 1/2 Rais of trees plants & vegetables.

I ran the pump dry & had to re-prime it 60 times or so to get the air out of the lines.

2 of the 6 liter water jugs started growing algae on the inside & unfortunately were used to restart the priming of the pump.

Although we do not use the well for drinking water, the algae is foming strips & is making watering the lawn via sprinklers dam_n near impossible. It is clogging the hose.

Thanks

Chlorine will usually work. I would need to have more details on the size of your well before I could suggest how much to use.

Thanks

Chlorine will usually work. I would need to have more details on the size of your well before I could suggest how much to use.

I read some posts on this issue & some posters said the chlorine turned their water dark. Not sure if i want to try this method yet.

Thanks

I read some posts on this issue & some posters said the chlorine turned their water dark. Not sure if i want to try this method yet.

If there is iron in the water the chlorine will turn the water dark brown :o

Doesn't algae require light? Cover the well and it will be dark and the algae will stop growing I think. I've never heard of having an algae problem in a well...I have heard of it in a pond....I think the presence of light is the difference. I wouldn't put poison in the well as there is no need for that.

Chownah

Keep it covered as tightly as possible and the problem will eventually go away by itself.

I'd be careful about sealing any well, as the lack of airflow will encourage anaerobic bacteria growth and the foul stench that follows it. Most Thai wells I've seen have some air vents built into the well's cement cover.

Our well's water is almost fluorescent green/blue at the moment. Anyone else notice a colour change in their well water lately? I don't think this is an algae problem, as I can't see any of it down the well.

jose '-)

I figured out from the posts & reading up on Algae Short of dumping the jugs with algae in them to prime the tank. I think the main problem was leaving the 1' lid open to prime easy. I have since then been shutting the lid & avoiding the light exposure.

Thanks for the notice Rimmer on Iron-Not much Iron(but some deeper down in the well.

The only problem this is posing is the 4& 1/2 rai irrigation & the sprinkler devices clogging up. Nothing seems to be coming into the house taps(the pressure is very strong yet-no clogs) & we buy drinking water. Besides algae being a little slimey it is not a health issue(I don't think algae is really bad for humans anyway) & it just seems to be in strips. Hopefully with no sunlight & a little time the algae will be starved & stop producing!

• 5 months later...

It turned out to be only algae strips growing in the clear hoses that attach to the hose bib. I guess I got lucky. Still have the strips growing in the hose- Guess if I get green hose thats dark it will stop the algae growth . I am very glad the well itself has no algae growing in it ----at least that is visible.

Edited by Beardog