Cheapest Mobile Service

SadDad

Has anyone experience with buying a cheap mobile phone & service?

I only need it for a few weeks at best.

Specifics needed:

Where to buy?

Estimate of price level for cheapest available, even used.

Any other details (sim card purchase places, country coverage---has to work in the South, etc.)

Looking for the throw-away type now found in Europe and North America (Virgin, Go, etc).

Thanks

Has anyone experience with buying a cheap mobile phone & service?

I only need it for a few weeks at best.

Specifics needed:

Where to buy?

Estimate of price level for cheapest available, even used.

Any other details (sim card purchase places, country coverage---has to work in the South, etc.)

Looking for the throw-away type now found in Europe and North America (Virgin, Go, etc).

Thanks

I have a cheap-o Nokia cell and just get the 1 - 2 - Call cards at 7/11 for 100 THB. Seems to do the trick. I think they charge 5 THB a call and 1 THB for text messages? At any rate, I use it to call the USA with my NOBEL International calling card couple times of week, always seem to have pleanty of minutes. :o

The cheapest phones in Thailand are made under the brand name "PhoneOne"

The cheapest model in the lineup is the B101.

It's available at any phone shop everywhere for 1399 baht. There doesn't seem to be any variation on the price. Go to 4th floor of MBK if you can't find it anywhere else. The cheapest prepaid SIM cards that I've seen are about 50 baht. So I would say that is your budget. It's always possible to negotiate and you might get lucky.

I've never seen a disposable phone in Thailand. You can always pick up a second hand phone at MBK, but to be honest the only time I did this I got a dud battery. Not fun if you really need it for something and it dies on you 15 minutes after you leave your house. You won't catch this at the time of purchase.