Tot And Others Blacklisted

southbot

Is anybody here aware of the fact that rather a lot of the IP numbers for TOT, TT&T, CAT, MaxNet, Samart (maybe others) are on the RBLs? (real time spam black lists)

We are based on Koh Samui, we do webhosting.

For the last several weeks we are plagued daily by phone calls and emails from our clients in south Thailand telling us that they cannot send email, they are timing out, they cannot see this or that website, they cannot connect.

I do checks on the IP addresses they use to send mail out of Thailand, either via their isp smtp or their own.

These IPs are very often showing up very badly on the RBLs.

This is now taking up a large part of every day at the office, answering phone calls and emails, explaining that the ISPs are blacklisted by some very respectable spam black lists such as SpamCops and SpamHaus.

This means my server and a marjority of other overseas servers will not accept mail coming in from any of those blacklisted IP numbers. I am forced to allow my firewall to let these blacklisted numbers in, and that is not good.

More than that I see evidence of the ISPs blocking certain regions and areas of the 'net to cut down traffic, this likely due to their having massively oversold their Bandwidth.

Is it just me? Am I imagining this stuff? Am I going insane? Probably. If not yet then soon :o

Does anybody know what is going on?

Are we approaching TOTAL MELTDOWN now or what?

If you know what is going on and you are reading this, please advise, thanks.

Cheers all.

I think you have a point there.

I would give another -small- example.

A friend, who use a vietnamese ISP with it's own domain (.vn), sends me regularly e-mail on a yahoo.com account... Guess what ? The messages go direct into the yahoo spam folder !

I imagine that some ISP or large websites don't care anymore : they just block or process whole domains and/or range of IPs. And mai pen rai if there are some collateral dammages... :o

Is anybody here aware of the fact that rather a lot of the IP numbers for TOT, TT&T, CAT, MaxNet, Samart (maybe others) are on the RBLs? (real time spam black lists)

For the last several weeks we are plagued daily by phone calls and emails from our clients in south Thailand telling us that they cannot send email, they are timing out, they cannot see this or that website, they cannot connect.

I do checks on the IP addresses they use to send mail out of Thailand, either via their isp smtp or their own.

This is now taking up a large part of every day at the office, answering phone calls and emails, explaining that the ISPs are blacklisted by some very respectable spam black lists such as SpamCops and SpamHaus.

This means my server and a marjority of other overseas servers will not accept mail coming in from any of those blacklisted IP numbers. I am forced to allow my firewall to let these blacklisted numbers in, and that is not good.

More than that I see evidence of the ISPs blocking certain regions and areas of the 'net to cut down traffic, this likely due to their having massively oversold their Bandwidth.

Is it just me? Am I imagining this stuff? Am I going insane? Probably. If not yet then soon :D

Cheers all.

Edited by cclub75

What you think how many users having Viruses, Trojans, Spam and Spy's on their system?! I do believe much more than anyone think about!

A lot ISP reporting for example E-Mails with attached "Beast's" to the Spam-cop and RBL's and so even ISP's get black listed.

To only way to avoid that is to get an special security certificate, which is attached to all of your e-mails. Not an easy deal!

Cheers.

A friend, who use a vietnamese ISP with it's own domain (.vn), sends me regularly e-mail on a yahoo.com account... Guess what ? The messages go direct into the yahoo spam folder !

Try gmail - their spam filter works, unlike others. Almost no spam comes through, and so far 100% of email classified as spam actually was spam. It's so good that I have taken to giving out my gmail address freely on websites. They wouldn't do anything dumb like blocking "foreign-looking" domains...

Edited by nikster

• 4 weeks later...

Yes,

Insane isn't it? I've got a different variation on that problem. I live in an apartment building with an internet gateway provided by "Idio-Tech" - hmmm, idiot-tech, how appropriate. They seem to be applying some pretty wierd filtering to the apartment's traffic. For the past few days I haven't been able to connect to Gmail or Windows Update. They're either being blocked by the ISP or Idiot-Tech as when I join the Tor network (effectively anonymizing myself) I am able to update my Windows installation and access Gmail. So Tor is great and I highly recommend it for people suffering from the Kingdom's blacklisting mania, or if they are being served by Idiot-Tech as I am.

It's too bad though. My internet connection was already slow enough, and using the Tor relay it's even slower!

Yay for internet democracy!!

Mike

Tor: http://www.torproject.org/

Is it just me? Am I imagining this stuff? Am I going insane? Probably. If not yet then soon :o

Cheers all.

To check if an IP address is on a DNSBLacklist, you can use http://www.dnsbl.info/

Fill in the IP address used by the smtp server to send email and check it.

The IP address used by TOTs mail server is 118.175.8.4 and is not blacklisted.

The IP address used by CATs mail server is 202.129.27.148 and is not blacklisted

I don't know the addresses used by other ISPs, maybe someone who is on True/TT&T/JiNet/etc can find out those addresses.

:D New in the biz ? I belive it is not a big secret that a bunch of spam comes out of this region (and with region i mean asia *g*)

Your email ploblem is easy to solve: let your customers relay over the isp mail mx (e.g. relay.cat.net.th)

Is it just me? Am I imagining this stuff? Am I going insane? Probably. If not yet then soon :D

There is an old saying - you only get what you pay for - get some substantial uplinks and you dont have these kind of problems.

And - imho - home adsl by tot or tt&t is quite far away beeing usable =)) 20 customers on 1 dslam port *rotfl* than a cascade of transparent proxies... *ups* why did my request time out....

You call them, you pinpoint the bug to a faulty router at the nix and the deny having any computer there ]=-) ( True story.)

Thailand has around 60 isp's..... and one company at the iig - cat.

a 2mb iig link with 100% international traffic is affordable only 124000,- THB :o

Take a look at the attached map. ( take 2 valium first )

Greetings

Jake

post-59522-1205838272_thumb.jpg

I join the Tor network (effectively anonymizing myself) I am able to update my Windows installation and access Gmail. So Tor is great and I highly recommend it for people suffering from the Kingdom's blacklisting mania, or if they are being served by Idiot-Tech as I am.

Hm, read the attachment. Let me know how you think.... A couple of years for tor ?

Btw : (effectively anonymizing myself) - :o check this out - http://www.wired.com/politics/security/new...9/embassy_hacks

also nice : http://www.wired.com/politics/security/com...ty_matters_0920

and that's no the only flaw....

Greetz

Jake

I join the Tor network (effectively anonymizing myself) I am able to update my Windows installation and access Gmail. So Tor is great and I highly recommend it for people suffering from the Kingdom's blacklisting mania, or if they are being served by Idiot-Tech as I am.

Hm, read the attachment. Let me know how you think.... A couple of years for tor ?

Btw : (effectively anonymizing myself) - :o check this out - http://www.wired.com/politics/security/new...9/embassy_hacks

also nice : http://www.wired.com/politics/security/com...ty_matters_0920

and that's not the only flaw....

Greetz

Jake

cybercrimeact2550.html

What you think how many users having Viruses, Trojans, Spam and Spy's on their system?! I do believe much more than anyone think about!

A lot ISP reporting for example E-Mails with attached "Beast's" to the Spam-cop and RBL's and so even ISP's get black listed.

To only way to avoid that is to get an special security certificate, which is attached to all of your e-mails. Not an easy deal!

Cheers.

My small ISP in the US has a very simple straightforward policy towards this. If infected PCs from your network connection are acting as zombie spam factories then they disconnect you until you take the time to run some basic anti-malware apps and de-crapify your pc. Fair enough.

That's a shame. I occasionally use it if I can't access a site for some reason, but never use it constantly as it's so slow. I hope they can fix it, but maybe not if that's the design.

By the way, you deleted the "[/ quote]"s from all of your 3 posts - tends to screw up the formatting and makes it hard to see what you are writing and what was in the original post.

That's a shame. I occasionally use it if I can't access a site for some reason, but never use it constantly as it's so slow. I hope they can fix it, but maybe not if that's the design.

By the way, you deleted the "[/ quote]"s from all of your 3 posts - tends to screw up the formatting and makes it hard to see what you are writing and what was in the original post.

sorry about that !

Greetz

Jake