ไม่ประสงค์

tgeezer

บุคคลผู้ไม่ประสงค์จะออกนามได้บริจากเงินจำนวน ๑,ooo,ooo บาท It is only an example of construction but if you change the verb to ถวาย would you think it even more unlikely?

บุคคลผู้ไม่ประสงค์จะออกนามได้บริจากเงินจำนวน ๑,ooo,ooo บาท It is only an example of construction but if you change the verb to ถวาย would you think it even more unlikely?

tgeezer,

I needed a crossword puzzle to solve last night and your post provided an opportunity. My very amateur translation is:

An anonymous donor of 1,000,000 baht

One dictionary shows บริจาก and another shows บริจาค for the same meaning.

If you mean that a person who ถวาย is less likely to (wish) to be anonymous than a person who บริจาก, I guess I’d have to agree. I don’t recall ever seeing a temple in Thailand with the ubiquitous donation sign showing an amount and ‘anonymous’ next to it. On the other hand, it seems that an anonymous 'donor' of sorts just made a donation of 1,000,000 baht to a temple (stuffed in a mattress). Of course, the people lining up to admit it was their money seems to be growing by the minute. t.i.t.

tgeezer,

I needed a crossword puzzle to solve last night and your post provided an opportunity. My very amateur translation is:

You have it I think. I was saying that a ถวาย gift is more likely to be in line for rewards, honours, medals, etc. Is ถวาย used for donations to temples as well? if so it weakens the joke somewhat. Good story, imagine 'claiming' that you gave an anonymous gift!

Edited by tgeezer

tgeezer,

You have it I think. I was saying that a ถวาย gift is more likely to be in line for rewards, honours, medals, etc. Is ถวาย used for donations to temples as well? if so it weakens the joke somewhat. Good story, imagine 'claiming' that you gave an anonymous gift!

My understanding of the two verbs is that you บริจาก something to a school, but you ถวาย something to a temple or to the King's family. On the daily 8PM Royal Family Happenings segment on TV each night, you'll see various members of the family visiting different places. As they step out of their vehicle, they're usually greeted by someone who will ถวาย some flowers or an envelope containing a donation. That's my take, anyway.

tgeezer,

My understanding of the two verbs is that you บริจาก something to a school, but you ถวาย something to a temple or to the King's family. On the daily 8PM Royal Family Happenings segment on TV each night, you'll see various members of the family visiting different places. As they step out of their vehicle, they're usually greeted by someone who will ถวาย some flowers or an envelope containing a donation. That's my take, anyway.

From the Royal Institute Dictonary:

ถวาย [ถะหฺวาย] ก. ให้, มอบให้, เช่น ถวายของ (ใช้แก่พระสงฆ์หรือเจ้านาย);

ให้ดู, ให้ชม, เช่น รําถวายมือ เล่นถวายตัว, แผลงเป็นดงวาย หรือ ตังวาย

ก็ได้.

The import of this word is to give, for example to a monk or to a member of royalty.

บริจาค [บอริจาก] ก. สละให้, เสียสละ. น. การสละ, การให้, การแจก, ความ

เสียสละ, เป็นธรรมข้อ ๑ ในทศพิธราชธรรม. (ดู ทศพิธราชธรรม หรือ

ราชธรรม). (ป. ปริจฺจาค).

The technically correct use of the second term is "to sacrifice", in addition to giving something away.

See the discussion on the second term above at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1726358 whereby Stateman provides an excellent explanation of the contrast between the words บริจาค and ทาน.