Mystery Taxi

threelegcowboy

In Bangkok on Tuesday about noon near Landmark on Sukumvit a cab was parked at the curb. Thais were swarming the taxi for a look and some men were at the rear door curb side. The door seem to be sprung where it would not close. A Thai man had taken the seat belt and tied the door as near closed as he could. Only a six inch gap kept the door from closing.

Inside the taxi was a distressed blond 20 year old, maybe American. She had a red face, crying and really upset. When I approached she was yelling "doesn't anybody speak English". I asked her what was wrong and she said her boyfriend had been slipped some drugs and he went crazy. She said they were on the way to the hospital. I asked where he was and she showed me his wallet and said he went in the direction behind the taxi. She said he had a goatee and something about two horns on his chest.

Several Thais were talking on their phone and I was sure the police would be there any second. So I told her I would go find him. Off I went in that direction only to give up after a few minutes.

I can see how these things can get out of hand and felt like I could have had a problem if I had got more involved.

Anybody see this or can add any facts?

God TLC that sounds awful for that poor woman

Yes I do hope she made out OK but I dont know that she was telling me the whole truth. I only had a minute to sort it out and make my decision of what to do. I did what she asked and moved on. I have worked up a bunch of possiblities and hope I dont see in the papers something tragic. :o

In Bangkok on Tuesday about noon near Landmark on Sukumvit a cab was parked at the curb. Thais were swarming the taxi for a look and some men were at the rear door curb side. The door seem to be sprung where it would not close. A Thai man had taken the seat belt and tied the door as near closed as he could. Only a six inch gap kept the door from closing.

Inside the taxi was a distressed blond 20 year old, maybe American. She had a red face, crying and really upset. When I approached she was yelling "doesn't anybody speak English". I asked her what was wrong and she said her boyfriend had been slipped some drugs and he went crazy. She said they were on the way to the hospital. I asked where he was and she showed me his wallet and said he went in the direction behind the taxi. She said he had a goatee and something about two horns on his chest.

Several Thais were talking on their phone and I was sure the police would be there any second. So I told her I would go find him. Off I went in that direction only to give up after a few minutes.

I can see how these things can get out of hand and felt like I could have had a problem if I had got more involved.

Anybody see this or can add any facts?

Three scenarios:

1. The boyfriend - assuming he's a foreigner - had indeed been slipped some drugs into his drink. This is much more common in Thailand than most people realise. Motive?

2. The couple had been out drinking - and the boyfriend hadn't anticipated the strength and the relatively high alcohol levels of the local brews - compared to the west - which had had an extremely adverse effect on him. Perhaps his level of intoxication was such that he wasn't in control of himself in the company of his partner and - in short - had gone nuts!

3. There are attractive and available women everywhere in BKK. Perhaps this was a first time visit for this particular couple. Maybe this young man snapped under the circumstances - and realised he didn't - afterall - want to spend the rest of his life - or - at least this particular day of his holiday - with this particular woman and all her 'carry-on' western hang-ups!

Just a thought!

Here is a little info I forgot: She showed me his wallet and it had no money in it.

Some story lines:

1. The guy was high on drugs and freaked out. Got out of the taxi and broke the door in a fit before running off. The best possible.

2. The guy was high on drugs and got sick. Opened the door to puke and a mototaxi hit the door. There was a shakedown for money and they took his money or they took all and wanted more. He ran off. They were holding the girl for more money.

3. The guy opened the door and a mototaxi hit the door. The mototaxi took his money. He ran off and left the girl to pay the bill for the taxi door.

You could mix and match these story lines but I guess the worst would be that the mototaxi took his money and was beating him somewhere down an alley. At the time that was my worst fear and I did look. :o